The coin thread--post pictures of your traditional knives with a coin

Very nice shot of Barlow and Antiquity there!

I shall have to drag out my Caligula coins, a relative newcomer compared with the Greeks! But I can't find a knife that mirrors his madness to pair it with...:D:D:eek:

Regards, Will

This coin is from Apollonia Pontica (present-day Sozopol, Bulgria) from around 400 - 375 B.C. That makes it roughly 1/4 the age of these mammoth ivory covers on my #66. The obverse shows the head of Medusa with snake hair and tongue out.

i-pzXtT3V-X2.jpg

USA never minted a penny. USA minted the cent though many Yanks call the cent a penny.

Schrade%2520108OT%2520and%2520Craftsman%25209473%2520Shield.JPG

Boker%25208828%2520Pen.jpg

CamillusTuxedoOpen.JPG

Schrade%2520219%2520Small%2520Serpentine%2520Jack%2520Closed.JPG

H.A.%2520Martin%2520Skinner.jpg

Handmade.jpg

Leghog

The last two knives pictures are just fantastic! Nothing like a small beautiful fixed blade.

Nice knives Leghog :thumbup:

USA never minted a penny. USA minted the cent though many Yanks call the cent a penny.

The old English pennies are the size of a US half-dollar, and the new ones look like a cent! :)

Leghog

The last two knives pictures are just fantastic! Nothing like a small beautiful fixed blade.
Thanks. Got those at local gun shows. Can't find the card of the maker of the small one with the black palm slabs. Hope it turns up. IIRC he was from South Carolina, but I might be way off.

Nice knives Leghog :thumbup:

The old English pennies are the size of a US half-dollar, and the new ones look like a cent! :)

I'll trade you a steel US cent from WW2 (copper was a strategic metal needed for the war effort so the U.S. minted cents in steel for a few years) for one of those old English pennies.

Last edited:
USA minted the cent though many Yanks call the cent a penny.

It is not just "Yanks" that call a cent a penny in the U.S. Most everyone calls the one cent piece a penny, including the United States mint.

What would be much more rare is to hear people call an Indian head penny an Indian head cent or a Lincoln penny a Lincoln cent.

Same goes for the nickel - it says five cents, but, most everyone calls them a nickel. A buffalo nickel is common - a buffalo five cents is not.

I am sure that many people are aware the penny term came from England and that the "official" name is one cent.

Are old sayings like "Find a penny, pick it up, and all the day you'll have good luck" or "Penny for your thoughts" also a "Yank" mistake? :confused:

This is the first U.S. designed penny - or cent - as you call it. I and many others from the south have always called them pennies and always will.

2ufedqp.jpg

and a buffalo nickel or buffalo five cents (as you might call it) with knife content:
fp5soo.jpg

Last edited:
Primble You have not only choice knives but a Fugio Cent as well!!! :eek::eek: That's a 'pretty penny' indeed and a wonderful design.:D

I like the English expression, "Penny wise Pound foolish":D Helps justify my idiocy with money...

Thanks, Will

Back