The coin thread--post pictures of your traditional knives with a coin

DE980966-97A9-4552-9B02-3EF77FE1234F_zpsel12ux05.jpg

I've carried this Morgan silver dollar every day for nearly 20 yrs now. It's my Lucky Dollar I guess :)

I've carried this Morgan silver dollar every day for nearly 20 yrs now. It's my Lucky Dollar I guess :)
Its nicely aged with minimal wear. I never really understood why people carried a silver dollar in their pocket. At least non in my family has done that.

I only have a couple pics with coins

lambertiana - I don't recognize the coin below that I cut and pasted from your photo. Very interesting and beautiful coin. If you don't mind, can you tell me what it is? Thanks in advance.

IMG_0597_zpsef2e7d56.jpg

Knife content - I carried this Keen Kutter today.

preview_image_2_61961562x_zps4ae90a3d.jpg

Last edited:

I used to do the same exact thing AZR....loved just looking at a Morgan, it seemed to have a calming effect...maybe I can get some out for pics tomorrow. I've carried big British Crowns too...pocket works of art. :thumbup:

I used to do the same exact thing AZR....loved just looking at a Morgan, it seemed to have a calming effect...maybe I can get some out for pics tomorrow. I've carried big British Crowns too...pocket works of art. :thumbup:

I'm kinda tempted to start doing this as a lucky coin. I feel that doing so at college would most likely get it stolen though haha. Perhaps in the future.

Robin
That Miller Bros. is a dream:thumbup::thumbup:The Canadians sure know now to mint a coin!! I have been to the mint in Ottawa

Robin
That Miller Bros. is a dream:thumbup::thumbup:The Canadians sure know now to mint a coin!! I have been to the mint in Ottawa

Thanks Gev.glad I pulled it out, there was a tiny bit of rust on the tang. The canoes went on forever on Canadian dollars.
The 1947 and 48 are the only valuable dollars. The Geo 5th is the first year we produced silver dollars in 1935, in pretty nice crisp condition. I really enjoy my stamps though, I find slip joints to be a very similar complex collecting field.

Very best regards

Robin

Alright after this pic I'll start taking pictures of coins from earlier time periods..otherwise I'll run out of cool stuff to photograph.

Pictured is a older dragon silver dollar. It's origin is from Japan. During imperialism Taiwan was occupied by Japan which explains why my grandparents had Japanese currency while not originating from Japan. It is pictured with a piece of driftwood that is in the shape of the island of Taiwan.
IMG_2406_zps3e1b0c46.jpg

IMG_2407_zps7518c19c.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Gev.glad I pulled it out, there was a tiny bit of rust on the tang. The canoes went on forever on Canadian dollars.
The 1947 and 48 are the only valuable dollars. The Geo 5th is the first year we produced silver dollars in 1935, in pretty nice crisp condition. I really enjoy my stamps though, I find slip joints to be a very similar complex collecting field.

Very best regards

Robin

Great info, Robin. I appreciate it! Glad you found that bit of rust before it became worse:thumbup: I need to go through mine soon.

All the best to you, Sir

Bladenoobie1

Super nice coin! That coffin barlow is a looker as well. I used to live in Taipei and can only imagine how much its changed. Beautiful place!

Last edited:
Great info, Robin. I appreciate it! Glad you found that bit of rust before it became worse:thumbup: I need to go through mine soon.

All the best to you, Sir

Bladenoobie1

Super nice coin! That coffin barlow is a looker as well. I used to live in Taipei and can only imagine how much its changed. Beautiful place!
Thanks. I visited Taiwan a few times in the last 10 years. It's a nice place.

lambertiana - I don't recognize the coin below that I cut and pasted from your photo. Very interesting and beautiful coin. If you don't mind, can you tell me what it is? Thanks in advance.

It is a one peso coin, minted for circulation in the Philippines, which was a US territory at that time. I usually use this coin for a history quiz, which very very few people pass. I show the reverse with the United States of America, and I show the obverse with One Peso, but while covering the Filipinas at the bottom. No one seems to know why the US would be minting pesos for circulation. I then lead them along...Remember the Maine...then Dewey defeating the Spanish Navy in Manila Bay in 1898.

The first coinage (1903-1906) was larger, but with rising silver prices they soon discovered that the coins were worth more than face value, so the size and composition were reduced starting in 1907. I think these are some of the nicest designs ever done by the US. The obverse was designed by a Filipino. You can find plenty of these on the big auction site. And a fair number have either heavy corrosion or are severely cleaned to remove the corrosion because the entire contents of the Manila mint vault were dumped in Manila Bay at the beginning of WWII to prevent its capture by the Japanese. After the war they were able to salvage most of it.

I thought it would be appropriate to get pictures with a traditional filipino bolo that I bought in Banaue, home of the rice terraces:

[URL=http://s948.photobucket.com/user/mnavarro2/media/imagejpg5_zps14f1e520.jpg.html]
[IMG]http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad322/mnavarro2/imagejpg5_zps14f1e520.jpg[/URL][/IMG]

imagejpg6_zps6861ed50.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is a Hubertus I got about 5 years ago and a few of my favorite coins.

It is a one peso coin, minted for circulation in the Philippines, which was a US territory at that time. I usually use this coin for a history quiz, which very very few people pass. I show the reverse with the United States of America, and I show the obverse with One Peso, but while covering the Filipinas at the bottom. No one seems to know why the US would be minting pesos for circulation. I then lead them along...Remember the Maine...then Dewey defeating the Spanish Navy in Manila Bay in 1898.

The first coinage (1903-1906) was larger, but with rising silver prices they soon discovered that the coins were worth more than face value, so the size and composition were reduced starting in 1907. I think these are some of the nicest designs ever done by the US. The obverse was designed by a Filipino. You can find plenty of these on the big auction site. And a fair number have either heavy corrosion or are severely cleaned to remove the corrosion because the entire contents of the Manila mint vault were dumped in Manila Bay at the beginning of WWII to prevent its capture by the Japanese. After the war they were able to salvage most of it.

I thought it would be appropriate to get pictures with a traditional filipino bolo that I bought in Banaue, home of the rice terraces:

Thank you very much for the detailed follow up. Very interesting. :thumbup:

Back