The coin thread--post pictures of your traditional knives with a coin

51866783790_d035ea896f_b.jpg[IMG]

I ISKRA what a fine showing :cool: Is that 20 Dinar Gold??😍

Thanks, Will! It is, Latin Monetary Union standard. I wish I had a 10 dinar as well, but they're hard to get for a decent price. Only Prince Milan IV (later King Milan I) Obrenović struck gold coins. The Obrenović dynasty later got overthrown under King Alexander and Peter Karađorđević took over. The silver coins above have his portrait. He only struck 5 dinar coins the year he took the throne in 1904, but they're of a different design – Serbian Crest on the reverse, while on the obverse you can see a portrait of him and his grandfather Karađorđe ("Black George"), the leader of the first Serbian revolt against the Ottomans. I guess it was a propaganda move to legitimise the whole thing a bit more. The alignment is interesting as well. The 20 dinar (minted in Vienna, I think) has the French/American or "coin" orientation. You have to flip it on its x axis. The 1 and 2 dinar coins however (should be minted in Belgrade afaik) have a medal orientation, so you turn them on their y axis. The 50 para is a midwar piece, minted in Paris, perhaps after the Serbian retreat through Albania to Corfu. It bears the Paris mint markings and again rotates the French way, on its x axis.

The knife is a bit of a mystery. My grandma found it decades ago. No stamps, no marks. Probably made in Yugoslavia or more likely the Eastern Bloc, your guess is as good as mine.

I ISKRA Thank you, fascinating stuff, I know a little about Serbian c19th-c20th history and the often rupture like upheavals and plotting. The retreat through Corfu must've been a Calvary for those concerned, especially non combatants. Significant the minting places, they show fairly high relief .I knew nothing about the axis of coins / medals, thank you for enlightening me.

Any knife however humble that has a connexion to ancestors is always of interest.

Regards, Will

Back