The Comtech Stinger

Random thoughts on the Stinger:

As far as the religious icon "excuse" for LEOs, The Stinger could be viewed as the Maori fertility idol as already said. It also bears some resemblance to crosses, both typical crosses, Tau (T-shaped) crosses, etc. In fact, it's explainable as a combo of the two.

It also could be looked at much like a Thor's Hammer, a commom neo-pagan/Norse symbol. If you filled in the space between the base, and the part your fingers rest on, it would be essentially a Thor's Hammer. With a little bit of imagination, it resembles an ankh, egyptian sign for eternal life. I'm cosidering fooling around with some epoxy and seeing if I can make a design similar to the Stinger, but with pieces joining the ends of the lateral base part to the longitudinal part right behindthe lateral finger part. It would look much more like a recognizable religious symbol, and lose none of the efficiency of execution, IMO.

The Stinger could also be seen as the Voodoo loa(deity) Legba. Legba is one of the(some would say the most) important deity to practicioners, as he's called before any others. He rules over the crossroads, and has under his dominion roads, paths, etc., similar to the Greco-Roman Hermes/Mercury. Since one of his symbols is the cross, as representing the four cardinal directions, and he is also know for his fertility and sexual appetite, the Stinger could easily be construed as a symbol of him, carried for good luck and safe travel. In Santeria, I believe the corresponding entity is called Eleggua.

Finally, for those coming from a Christian or Jewish prespective, it's not too far a stretch for the Stinger to represent the tree of life from Kabbalah. Viewed as a magic system by some, a philosophy by others, some would tell you it's a way of looking at the world, God, reality, ourselves, etc. that makes perfect sense in Judaism or Chritianity. The tree of life can represent personal ascension in knowledge, the creation (and on-going sustaining) of the universe, the connection between God and ourselves, or even the workings of our our consciousness and what we perceive to be reality.

I would love to see a picture of how JAK painted his to resemble a fertility idol, or hear a description from someone who's seen it.

I apologize in advance to anyone who's take offense to any of the pseudo-religious content: my intent was merely to provoke thought and provide help on ways in which the Stinger may be more easily carried and accomodated to anyone's lifestyle. Plus, my Stingers are still new to me, and as such, I wanna talk and read about them.
smile.gif

Stay Sharp,
Joe S.

[This message has been edited by Joe S (edited 06-16-2001).]

If Mickey wanted to crank out some for the rest of us, and had the time to do it, I'd support it. Mike Sastre doesn't need to be the one to do it, I'd just like to have them done, and preferably, non-metallic. And, as another thought, although it's totally unnecessary, and possibly not workable given the size, but a nice feature might be two holes for a cord to be strung through. Makes a sheath that will flop less, if someone wanted to wear one running, or some such.

Forgive me if I'm talking out my ass. It's late.

Additional 4:30 AM Stinger thoughts:

It's not too complex to attach some paracord between two Stingers, or a stinger and another object, to come up with a weapon similar in the snaring/choking aspect to the Bladerigger V-Gar. Instead of use as a flail, though, you have good superb striking at either end, with deflections, snares, and chokes using the cord.

Keys, or other weighted objects can be attached by a length of cord to function as flailing weapon.

Stickfighter2, good call on the belt loop idea. I'll have to see if it works as well with BDUs (my daily wear).

Stay Sharp,
Joe S.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joe S:
It's not too complex to attach some paracord between two Stingers, or a stinger and another object, to come up with a weapon similar in the snaring/choking aspect to the Bladerigger V-Gar. Instead of use as a flail, though, you have good superb striking at either end, with deflections, snares, and chokes using the cord.

Keys, or other weighted objects can be attached by a length of cord to function as flailing weapon.
</font>

Joe,

I'm glad you brought this up because I did not want to get the E-mail saying I was using this Forum to promote the other...but that has already been experimented with and it works well...

As for talking out of your ass, well, that orifice and late night hours are when great ideas erupt. [fart]

And no offense was taken at religion, I don't get all in a huff over stuff like that. You're free to discuss things like that here as far as I'm concerned.

If someone is going to take offense by things like that, well, they need to take a look at their heart and figure out why. I remember all sorts of nonsense at various times with regard to religion and symbols.

Sometimes I think some folks have not seen enough really terrible things in life, so they focus on the small things, get offended easily. I don't sweat the small things in life.

(I have a reputation for being intolerant, but the truth is, I'm only intolerant of those that wish to deprive others of their rights...just like guns and religion, what a combination. Don't try to take my guns or knives or tell me what to think, I won't try to make you own one or tell you who to worship, etc.)

Carry on guys, a great thread, grew larger than I ever expected.
smile.gif

------------------
Usual Suspect
Ipsa scientia potestas est aut disce aut discede
Some of my Knives and other neat things

Great thread guys.I am too busy right now making knives for the Knifemakers Guild Show (July) to make the Stinger neck and keychain rigs.Maybe after the show.
This would be a simple "Kydex" project for someone to experiment with.There is a wealth of info on Bladeforums about working with kydex.
If anyone traveling to the Guild show is interested, I can bring my neck and keychain rigs to Florida for a closer look.
The more you play with the Stinger, the faster you will realize what a nice little self defense tool it actually is.All this in a nonmetallic package 1/2" by 3" by 2".

Mike Sastre got back to me on Sa****ay. He says the price of the sheath will be $18 shipped. He offered to send me a pic but 95% of the time someone does Yahoo won't include it. I don't know if he's signed up for $$$ membership that'll allow him to post pics, and his site is still under construction, with pics of more conventional sheaths, so no help there.

Anybody who can get pictures and post 'em here will likely be thanked by many!

NOTE TO SPARK: Dude, the bloody filter/censor is set WAY too sensitive--days of the week aren't obscene!

PS: Got the pic from Mike today--actually came through! E-mail me directly in case if you want to see it.

Tried to post a picture yesterday, but file was too big. Proto has two eyelets (blknd brass), but can probably be nade non metalic with thicker material. I'll play with it today or tomorrow and get back. It'll definitely have two holes because of the spin factor with only one.

Mike

Originally posted by Mike Sastre
Tried to post a picture yesterday, but file was too big. Proto has two eyelets (blknd brass), but can probably be nade non metalic with thicker material. I'll play with it today or tomorrow and get back. It'll definitely have two holes because of the spin factor with only one.

I would just add again that I personally think it will make the leap from good idea to great idea if it can be done without the metal.

Is the price what it is (a little high, in my eyes) because of the expected size (small) of the production run? I don't mean any disrespect at all, Mr. Sastre. I've seen your work, it's excellent, and your reputation for quality precedes you. Nonetheless, paying what 2-3 Stingers themselves cost seems a bit expensive to me.

Would it help if we drummed up some interest and got the word out?

Nothing but the utmost of respect intended.

Joe S.

Joe,

I cannot speak for Mr. Sastre, but it just seems that Kydex/Concealex and rivets/eyelets and time is just going to be higher than a molded, plastic item, regardless of how effective that molded, plastic item is.

It's just one of those screwy instances where you want to modify something very simple and it ends up costing you to do so.

I don't think there is any way to avoid it really...the time and materials cannot be dictated by the cost of the knife.

How much are Mr. Sastre's Endura Neck Sheaths? I know I have seen them, I think on BladeArt.Com, but I can get an Endura for about $42.00, Md. State Tax included...but if I want an excellent neck sheath, I'm going to have to possibly pay half of what I can get that knife for. Maybe more...them's the breaks Dude...

The C-Stinger is more problematic because it is simply made from a plastic/polymer and is made from [I guess] a simple mold. I don't think anyone could make a quality sheath for it for much less.

What spin factor is there on the Stinger?

I understand the problem with single edged knives,
folders, and NAA mini-revolvers, but the stinger is
spin-neutral, isn't it?

I'm also hoping for a clear, or khaki or tan color!:confused:

Here's a link to the pic of the River City Sheaths Concealex Stinger sheath prototype. Next to it is one of Mike's typical IWB/neck sheaths. I have one just like it for my Spyderco Moran. I would post the actual pic, but it is a fairly large file.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=148864&a=1114102&p=52209090&Sequence=0&res=high

Contact Mike at VideoSAS@aol.com .

Don is right on the money about the price. Mike is a one man operation that does everything by hand. The quality shows. I also think that the minimal amount of brass in the rivets would have no affect on detection. Any pair of pants you wear with a zipper is going to have more metal than that in them. Just switch out the ball chain for leather, synthetic cord, or natural cord. Mike did mention that he is going to work up another prototype with heavier Concealex and no rivets.

Paul

Originally posted by Paul Davidson

Don is right on the money about the price. Mike is a one man operation that does everything by hand. The quality shows.

I see the point. My initial reaction was just one of a poor college student, I guess. My apologies.

I also think that the minimal amount of brass in the rivets would have no affect on detection. Any pair of pants you wear with a zipper is going to have more metal than that in them. Just switch out the ball chain for leather, synthetic cord, or natural cord. Mike did mention that he is going to work up another prototype with heavier Concealex and no rivets.

I'm hoping for the latter. No offense, and maybe I'm just one of the lucky individuals who sets off magnetometers easily, but that minimal amount does make a difference, to me anyway. Try going through Newark Airport soon after a terrorist incident, or anytime at that matter. You'll find that the foil on a pack of cigarettes, or fly zippers, or even jean rivets will set off beeps, for some anyway. I've enjoyed similar at many places, especially plenty of govt. buldings.

It's just a hassle, hopefully avoided by minimizing one's metallic profile as much as possible.

Joe S.

Hello. I ordered 3 Comtech Stingers a little while ago and got them
the week before last. They are cool. I can see how Don dented his table with one. I've seen all the posting about sheaths for the Stinger, and frankly I fail to see the logic in spending somewhere in
the neighborhood of 3X what the Stinger costs in order to put it in a
sheath. Personally I think it would be smarter to dispose of the Stinger after use in a self-defense situation. Not only that, there
are plenty of carry options as is. Admittedly, it can be hard to use
it with keys attached, but that can be solved by looping a piece of paracord through the hole and key ring so the keys hang down a little
lower. Also, one idea for carry and still have fairly easy access is
to sew a pocket on the inside of your waistband, to carry it that way.
I could see spending a little more on a sheath than what you paid for
a knife (or knives) if you were doing it so you could carry 2 knives in one sheath, say someting like push daggers in the way Rambo did in Rambo 2, for instance. Otherwise, it seems to be a waste of money that could be better used on other things, such as getting another knife!

Hi Nighthawk. I agree that for some, the idea of spending three times the price of a Stinger for a necksheath is a little much. I'm not sure I would, but neck carry ain't my thang.

On the other hand, I've been contemplating a "Cat Hat" for the Wildcat keychain (Wildcat pics provided by Don earlier in this thread, page one, I think). No, not for me, but for those who would be interested, mostly women. I just might have to get into working with Kydex soon to see what I can do. (If anyone has any links on this I'd appreciate it!) If I'm correct, blowdryers are often used to adjust the fit of Kydex, and if so, my idea may work, and be quite affordable for "do it yourself" Cat Hat Kits, saving labor time.

In fact, I'm wondering if an enterprising "Plasticsmith" :) might not be able to provide formed, folded and drilled blanks for buyers to mold to their Stingers themselves... Include the neck chain and a photocopy instruction sheet and wallah! Might cut some costs there, yet provide a useful almost finished product. Any comments on this idea?

But those who are serious about their safety, and weaponry, and perfection of deployment, etc., will often go to no end to accomplish what they desire!

Karl

P.S. Now about those Rambo comments...:confused: :) :D
P.S.S. Also, I think Newt Livesay's "Black Dogs" are two "mirror image" knives (Woos?) in one sheath. It IS kind of a cool idea.

Originally posted by nighthawk86
Hello. I ordered 3 Comtech Stingers a little while ago and got them
the week before last. They are cool. I can see how Don dented his table with one. I've seen all the posting about sheaths for the Stinger, and frankly I fail to see the logic in spending somewhere in
the neighborhood of 3X what the Stinger costs in order to put it in a
sheath. Personally I think it would be smarter to dispose of the Stinger after use in a self-defense situation.

Perhaps. That's an individual call. Bear in mind that someone may have seen the situation develop, let alone the party you were involved with (if not dead).

illustrative story: Was in the car the other night with my girlfriend, a largely naive and non-tactical person. We witnessed a minor hit and run accident on a parked car. She immediately noticed how stupid that was of the person, as we were just behind, and could have easily taken down license palte number. Her words: "If you're gonna do something stupid like that, you should make damn sure no one's watching."

Not only that, there
are plenty of carry options as is. Admittedly, it can be hard to use
it with keys attached, but that can be solved by looping a piece of paracord through the hole and key ring so the keys hang down a little
lower. Also, one idea for carry and still have fairly easy access is
to sew a pocket on the inside of your waistband, to carry it that way.

Well, I don't particularly feel like sitting down and sewing a pocket inside every single pair of pants I own, or will get, for the rest of my life. Maybe that's just me. If it is, then maybe that the sheath has advantages. Like the fact that one can grip the Stinger the same as if one were using it, making for a simple and secure draw. It allows you to secure it to keys, but have the keys come off if you want them too. Not everyone wants the extra weight and annoyance of their keys no the bottom of their Stinger. Furthermore, if I think it's necessary to let go of the Stinger, whether to throw it, as a distraction, or drop it, to draw something else with that hand, I wanna know that I'll still be able to get into my house, car, etc. later that day.

Also, it's not just a neck sheath. You can carry it IWB with this sheath. Carry it in your sleeve, attached to a bag, in the pocket, attached to your shoelaces, if you want.

I agree that the price seems a little high(read the thread to see mine and everyone else's opinion on the matter), as it is about 3 times what a Stinger can go for. However, looking at another way, it's only $18. Sometimes, you get what you pay for.

Joe S.

Non-metalic Stinger sheath came out well in .093 Concealex. I can email a picture to any interested parties. Costs are determined by the time and effort it takes to produce a professionally done product, not the cost of the item being sheathed. If it was the item cost, I'd limit myself to doing sheaths for Bill Bagwell's Custom Hell's Belles and get $1000 per sheath. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. I think I'm pretty good "bang for the buck" as is.

My Groundpounder and Airborne arrived Thursday, and both are on me as I post this (the former on my keychain).

Mike did an excellent job with these and I highly recommend them. Thanks also to Mickey for posting the original concept, without which I would've had nothing to take to Mike.

BTW, for those of you who don't already own Stingers, Mike also offers these sheaths as a complete package with a Stinger for only $4 more than the sheath costs. Folks, that's $2 less than Shomer-Tec, and $6 less than Comtech--a deal so good it's damn near larceny.

I saw that killer deal. May have to get Mike to send a couple sets out when he sends my Crossada and Southern Comfort back. :D

Steve

Back