The Custom Stock Knife: Variations On A Theme

That Richard Rogers at number 8 is something else, Elliot, and despite my oft-stated preference for spey blades, Ken's interpretation at 11 just kills me. Anyone would be proud to have any of them, however, and as I've said before, your taste and collection are an inspiration.

That Richard Rogers at number 8 is something else, Elliot, and despite my oft-stated preference for spey blades, Ken's interpretation at 11 just kills me. Anyone would be proud to have any of them, however, and as I've said before, your taste and collection are an inspiration.

Thank you, James. That's very kind of you to say.

I'd say it just goes to show that SOME government employees DO have good judgement! ;)

Elliott, they are are certainly all special, but the butterscotch bone on Ken's #11 is just IT for me.

Thanks for the display.

I'd say it just goes to show that SOME government employees DO have good judgement! ;)

Elliott, they are are certainly all special, but the butterscotch bone on Ken's #11 is just IT for me.

Thanks for the display.

Let me both fix your statement and prove its truth with the insertion of one additional critical word: FORMER. ;)

Thank you, Jeff. :cool:

Beautiful knives, Elliot. I like them all. #11 matches my whittler from Ken. :) And your Chamblain sowbelly was a major influence on my purchase.

Ryu does make a stockman http://www008.upp.so-net.ne.jp/ryu-knives/archives_main_serpentstock.html

Dr Bill has one. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...Ryuichi-Kawamura-Knives?p=9726578#post9726578

Btw... Ryu put mark side and pile side photos of your Cattle knife on his page. That's the first on his page that I've noticed showing both sides.
http://www008.upp.so-net.ne.jp/ryu-knives/archives_main_cattleknife.html

What a stunning set of knives, Elliott! I just love the Erickson shadow with it's buttery yellow micarta. Hard to go wrong with any of them though. I thought you also had another shadow stockman in green micarta, if I'm not mistaken?

Glad you like 'em Jake.

As I mentioned in the earlier post, I found some images of Ryu's stock knife but honestly, if I were to have him do one we'd have to start from scratch. While his workmanship is impeccable, that particular style, size and layout is not to my taste.

As for the images, it may be that he posted them because I had requested to see the pile side before he went to the trouble and expense of shipping from Japan. I haven't been on his site in some time so I wasn't aware. Now if he posted the images I sent him I'd really be shocked.

I'd like to see Ryu make his stock knife pattern with a clip blade... maybe I'll ask him. Let me know when you're done with #11. ;)

I'd like to see Ryu make his stock knife pattern with a clip blade... maybe I'll ask him. Let me know when you're done with #11. ;)

Come to my wake. You can take it from my pocket. :p

They're all stunners, but once again Ken Erickson's work stands out to me. Specifically, he has an extraordinary eye for properly proportioned (yet unique!) jigging, and the skill to carry it out. Not that other aspects of his designs are not also fine, but I love how he cuts his bone.

~ P.

I've printed this page in case anyone asks why I'm rifling through your pockets. :p Seriously though, it's an inspirational collection and I've learned a lot about customs from reading your posts.

I've printed this page in case anyone asks why I'm rifling through your pockets. :p Seriously though, it's an inspirational collection and I've learned a lot about customs from reading your posts.

So, you're the one!!! ;)

(Thanks, Jake. Means a lot. :thumbup:)

Charlie, I can't remember seeing a premium stockman by Ryu. Hmmm...I'll have to start investigating..."Sweet 16" does have a ring to it...

EDIT:...I've found a couple of images on the webz of variations. I'll revisit the notion at some point in the future.

Yes, the "Sweet 16" might need to become a reality. :thumbup:

Elliott,
congrats for your collection. As for the cattle knife thread, it's funny to wonder about my favourite stockman here...and I don't have an answer yet (although the ivory sowbelly stockman might be on the lead :rolleyes:) but there's no doubt that you have gathered a wonderful collection of customs here. Wonderful in terms of quality, craftmanship, and (just like for cattle knives, and even more, due to the number) wonderful for variety of interpretation inside the very same pattern. I'm just curious to know (if you are willing to tell us) how much of this variety was casual, and how much was an actual choice (of blade design, handle material, and so on).
As a sidenote, I love the Coats' jack at #15 (I know it's actually a cousin in the family :D) and I'm glad you added it to the thread :)

Fausto
:cool:

Elliott,
congrats for your collection. As for the cattle knife thread, it's funny to wonder about my favourite stockman here...and I don't have an answer yet (although the ivory sowbelly stockman might be on the lead :rolleyes:) but there's no doubt that you have gathered a wonderful collection of customs here. Wonderful in terms of quality, craftmanship, and (just like for cattle knives, and even more, due to the number) wonderful for variety of interpretation inside the very same pattern. I'm just curious to know (if you are willing to tell us) how much of this variety was casual, and how much was an actual choice (of blade design, handle material, and so on).
As a sidenote, I love the Coats' jack at #15 (I know it's actually a cousin in the family :D) and I'm glad you added it to the thread :)

Fausto,

Glad you are enjoying them. There won't be many more being added to this or any other pattern as I pretty much decided several months ago that I have reached my limit and will content myself with my collection as currently comprised. (There will be an exception here and there from some makers I have built a special connection with over the years...but the cattle knife received from Ryu last week pretty much completes my confirmed orders.)

In the case of the knives displayed in the cattle knife thread, I had input on all the details of blade selection, pattern design and scale material.

Out of the current group of stock knives, I had direct input on the design, blades and scales on six of the fifteen knives. The others were purchased either because I was actively seeking work from those particular makers or because an opportunity presented itself...or I simply couldn't resist the allure when I saw the knife.

I always enjoy your point of view.

Last edited:
Elliott,
thanks for your answer. Again (as for cattle knives), this thread is a great example of how a single pattern can be subject to very different interpretations. Actually, considering that more than half of these knives were picked "randomly" (and not with a precise input to the maker), it's good to see how variety grows spontaneously in the wonderful garden of custom knives :)

Fausto
:cool:

Wow! That's a spectacular collection of the stock pattern!:thumbup: I also must confess that I've learned quite a lot and my tastes have been influenced by the many knives you've posted in the threads. The #3 Ruple, #5 Chamblin and the #9 Rogers are particularly drool-worthy to me; there's just something very attractive about the sowbelly. Jeff already stated this but the bone in the #11 Erickson is simply amazing - it has an illusory translucence to it with such rich color. Thank-you so much for sharing your collection with us!

Back