The Custom Stock Knife: Variations On A Theme

I wouldn't expect any less from such an avid slip joint lover. Thanks for replying.

Thank you for the kind words. Here's another image to give you a better idea of what I was referring to on the "sowbelly-stockman-whittler". While I'm not generally one who seeks (but can appreciate) file work, the work Bill did on this one is pretty unique, as is seeing a whittler with stockman blades.

large.jpg

I had heard that his file work is one of his trademarks. That is gorgeous. Thank you for sharing.:) But then again how could you not?

I had heard that his file work is one of his trademarks. That is gorgeous. Thank you for sharing.:) But then again how could you not?

Since you seem to like stockman style knives, you may be interested in having a look at this thread from earlier this year as well...

I just popped back in here to look at these again, I noticed the clip on that whittler uses both springs. Wonderful idea. Thanks for the link.

I just popped back in here to look at these again, I noticed the clip on that whittler uses both springs. Wonderful idea. Thanks for the link.

Yep...a true whittler has the tang of the master blade (in this case the clip) rest on each of the two springs employed by the accessory blades on the other end of the knife.
It allows the master blade to be centered within the frame. You'll often find that the springs are either tapered from the master blade end down to the accessory blades...or divided by a tapered spacer (if the springs remain uniform in width). This pattern is considered more exacting to build when compared to that of the standard stock knife.

Good eye. :thumbup::cool:

What are the benefits of having it centered in the frame?

Some people feel that it is helpful when doing certain tasks...whether it be whittling or some other job which may either require precision or the strength imparted by the support of the dual springs.
I know that I've also heard from some that they feel it gives a better visual and tactile reference when working with a centered blade.

Since most of my amateur whittling (ball in cage, chains etc) has been done with a congress pattern I can't really speak from personal experience on that score.

Elliott,

I to share your love for the Stock pattern and have a duplicate of the Ken Erickson yellow linen micarta shadow pattern.

Your collection is quite extensive and worthy of praise, enjoy them all.

Jeff

Thank you, Jeff. :cool:

(I'm still waiting for the royalty check on the Erickson. :p)

Added Jared Oeser's Diamond Edge Cattle Knife to the mix as it is a "cattle knife" built on a premium stockman frame and therefore qualifies under each category.
Besides, I just think it deserves to be in the company of the fine work presented earlier.

file-565.jpg

file-1297.jpg

Jared posted that Cattle knife on FB earlier Elliott and I immediately thought of you...It is a fine looking example-congrats!!!

Thank you, Tony. I sure appreciate it. (And thanks to you as well, Woodrow.)

Elliott, you collection is stunning. That third Ruple sent me reeling. What a beauty. The Oeser is a fine as it gets. But then again there is not one that isn't top shelf. Thanks for sharing.

Chris

Elliott, you collection is stunning. That third Ruple sent me reeling. What a beauty. The Oeser is a fine as it gets. But then again there is not one that isn't top shelf. Thanks for sharing.

Chris

Thanks, Chris. Images are funny...it's all about the equipment, lighting and conditions. I wouldn't be surprised that if you saw them all in person you'd find that another one was your favorite in the group.
(Not that that particular Ruple sowbelly is without charm.)

You may be right Elliot. But I am really struck by the lines. It has a flow to it that just looks right to my eye. Regardless which I would most covet in person they are all outstanding pieces and I appreciate you sharing the images here. Thanks.

Chris

A fine addition my friend. Good to see you're still riding the range ;)

Jack

A fine addition my friend. Good to see you're still riding the range ;)

Jack

Yeah, but it turns out that it's the lack of padding in my wallet and not the saddle that's making my butt sore. :p

Thanks for the good words, fellas. :thumbup:

Back