The Emperor's Gunting

I own many Spyderco's and I love them all... I am impressed with new directions and designs by Spyderco and enjoy seeing them employ new materials whenever possible..

However, this Gunting piece, to me, is one ugly ass knife! Hello? Maybe it's a case of form follows function, but I would not enjoy carrying it! And I certainly would not get into a fight with a 4" blade! I would like to try the compression lock, but even the name sounds like a pig! I prefer graceful curves and beauty in my blades, not something that looks like a tool to fix your dishwasher... So congrats to all you Gunting owners, but I will have to pass. I think there are plenty of Sypdie alternatives.. Are we that desperate for a new knife? I do like the Gunting logo though...

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder... I think the Gunting is one of the best looking knives on the market. I love the huge ramp. I realize it's not for everyone, but it sure does work for me!

That knife has "Testosterone" written all over it. I plan on getting one. This is just like the difference between SUVs and sports cars.

Hjaffe: I wouldn't want to get into a fight with any knife...and the GUNTING is still smaller than you state its UNDER three inches...

Emperors new knife? Ok..only its not naked, nor is anyone saying anything just to please the King...

Those that like it realy like it..

Beauty is in the eye of those that see...
some think thr GLOCK ugly..or the Porsche..
Oh well
Sorry you don't like the GUNTING...
of course you may not like any of the NEW MBC line ups..

you are forgiven for not liking the GUNTING cause you appreciate and like my LOGO...
I make tattoo flash from Filipino fighting motions...
as well as my logos...

I thought my friends 933 twin turbo was ugly too....until I drove it.
biggrin.gif

Blued steel and hardwood make beautiful guns, but I prefer Glocks for the way they perform.

The Gunting is the same. Take one for a "drive" it may change your mind.

Steve

I've always been impressed by form following function, finding a sort of beauty in utility. But I think the Gunting is an elegant knife in its own brutal way. You rally have to hold one to appreciate it.

Well, I know quite a bit about the Glocks--I have owned several. However, I don't think they go out of their way to be weird looking. They have a very simple design, so simple they look like toys, and they are extremely reliable and easy to maintain. The Gunting seems to have a very busy design with lots of juts and angles. I just prefer the smooth clean lines of the Chinook. And as I have said, if I am looking for a fighting knife, I'll take something long and fixed like a SOG Seal! Also, it looks like the Gunting might ride kind of high when clipped to your pocket? Is this true?

Also, it looks like the Gunting might ride kind of high when clipped to your pocket? Is this true?

Yes, Most everyone can see it coming from miles away
smile.gif

------------------
"The most effective armor is to keep out of range"-Italian proverb

You've heard the story of the ugly duckling and how it became a beautiful swan.My point being you don't have to think in terms of getting in a knife fight you have to think about the years and years that are put into the design, the size ,the flow of intricate blade handle attatchment into a masterpeice of inginuity,a simple big knife has use but it has no style and no flow when it comes to using it closed which is from what I see the Gunting being created for.It is a point of higher state of being to become fluent with a tool which holds so much within itself.I myself have been into martial arts for a while as I'm sure lots of people here are,and I can say with great confidence that I would trust myself to the Gunting in any situation.And my ultimate goal will be to become a master with it as I hope to with myself

Hjaffe,

I'm sure at least once in your life you've looked upon a new & unconvientional design of a time honored product and asked yourself "what were they thinking".

The evolution of design is something we see all around us. Even something as basic as a knife can go through substantial re-design over the centuries.

I would encourage you to reserve a bit of objectivity toward the Gunting until you have had the oppertounity to spend some quality time with one. I have yet to see anyone who could keep their hands off of it once they were properly introduced.

It may not be the knife for you but once you've had a demonstration you will understand the beauty and purpose of all the bumps, ramps and horns. There all just where they need to be.

Terry Prichard aka: the bladebroker

Hi Hjaffe. Always interesting hearing the varied opinions.

When we introduced the first Clipit in 1981, The general comments were: "That sure is butt ugly", Whydayawant a hole in the blade". "nobody wants to open a knife with one hand", What's that stupid clip for?", etc.

My designs were not based on looks. Same is true today. We do have some "pretty" Clipits, designed by custom designers with a better "eye" than I have for beauty. I'm sure one of these would please you. That's why we make so make different models.

When we first came out with the Clipit, one "expert" told me; "Get rid of the hole, and the clip and you might have an interesting knife". Yet, history shows us that just about every knife company in the world has copied those features.

We'll see what time does to kinetic openers?

Try to remember that not everyone selects their products by appearance. Some buy by performance. If pretty works with the design of the model, great!

I don't think that "pretty" will appear on Kinetic openers for a while. Once the appearance becomes more common and new models are developed, the opinion of the appearance will change, at least among knowledgable knife junkies.

There are still people that ask "What's the hole for?".

Hi Anthony, Yes, the knife rides higher than many would like. The design requires it (at this time). easy access, etc. One day, when we invent a "fold up ramp" that pops out of the blade upon accessing, we'll make a deep pocket version? This is a new concept, a mere child. Please give it time to grow.

Actually, Anthony, I don't think this is your kind of knife for daily carry. You might enjoy the "collector" value because you're a knife junkie, or playing with the kinetics on a trainer, but, in my opinion, knowing you, not your thing.

In general, many or our products "challenge the imagination". "Out of the box" thinking always does that. Far be it from me to "alter your thinking", but IMHO; Try to think "all good, just different". You might get to appreciate more of what life has to offer (in all areas, not just knives).

sal

------------------
"There seems to be an amazing connection between what people do... and what happens to them"

Sal: I have always liked the Spydercos with the hole and clip, and I like to think I am capable of 'out of the box' thinking... I especially like the Jot Khalsa because it is different than all your other knives, yet seems to carry some historical lines.. Perhaps the Gunting will catch on, perhaps it won't--in any case you are to be congratulated for producing new and different designs! Just don't expect me to buy them all
wink.gif

Hi Hjaffe. No argument from me. I do not think that many of our models are for everyone.

We have actually made very few knives specifically for collectors. In fact, we were surprized when we first heard that people actually collected Spydercos.

We also did not expect the Gunting to be getting so much attention. No doubt Bram's passion for the concept.

It will be most interesting to watch the future of this concept unfold.

sal

Hjaffe, I think you are right a large fixed blade would make a much better fighting knife. However, and I am not trying to get caught up in semantics, I think the Gunting was designed to be a defensive knife, rather than a 'fighting' knife. This means that it was designed for the average man/woman to have with you all the time, just in case. Carrying a Sog SEAL for example is something you'd like to have when you knew trouble was coming, but for most people a folder is something you will have with you when you need it. Hence, the defensive folder, for example the Gunting.

Wouter

thanks Sal..Thanks Mr Blonde!
the GUNTING like the GLOCK is simplicity..it has almost no moving parts top break..its an open design thats easy to keep clean, its designed to FIT into your hands, ergonomics.. and like the GLOCK it works right out of the box..no matter how many times you cycle it..
Its designed for REAL time..
It does its job really well in the closed position or the open...
and in Combat, under stress or in a self defense situation whee its going crazy..like the Glock its easy to LOAD up and go..
In Israel we "load" as we draw..no round kept in chamber..
The GUNTING allows one to engage upon the draw or contact with the flow as well..
Thy are both almost unbreakable and both were designed for real usage...
My GUNTING is my Edged GLOCK...
and I LOVE MY GLOCK...

have a great day!

Hi Sal.

I will be giving the Gunting a closer look this week since mine arrives tomorrow.I will let you know what I think (again).

Hi Bram.
Glad to see you are back.

------------------
"The most effective armor is to keep out of range"-Italian proverb

I think the Gunting is kind of cute....in a MAKE MY DAY kind of way!! But to each his (or her) own. As long as you dig knives you are okay in my book!!

Thanks to everyone for their comments! First of all, let me say that I do not see myself ever being in an OFFENSIVE situation requiring a large fixed-blade, because my name is not O.J.! So that still leaves me to prefer some kind of large fixed blade, perhaps not as long as the SOG Seal, if I happen to be in a dark alley late at night, especially if I encounter 2 or 3 punks who might not be intimidated by the finer points of the Gunting... But if someone wants to SEND me a Gunting, I will be happy to try it out, get the feel of it, and see if I can appreciate what makes it so special to so many people. I then promise to either buy it or return it.

Anthony: hope you don't mind..we made you an official member of the Gunting Cult...we are printing up t your membership certificate for you!!!!

Thanks for taking all this in stride!!!
And I appreciate your looking at the GUNTINg,,If you don't like it ..well OK its not for you..

yes..I'm back!!!

Back