the fallacy of firesteels

Seems like pretty much everyone has a firesteel lashed to their knife sheath, keychain, "survival kit" etc.. I've even seen firesteel blanks made into line tensioners so the tie down on your rain fly can double as a fire source. It's become the go-to firelighter; what everyone on U-tube uses and so it must be what all the cool kids cary. A lot of people seem to believe that a firesteel is the ultimate fire starter when things are "real bad". It's got me thinking, and the more I think about it, the less sense it makes to me.

The following scenario is one I've actually been though, but it wouldn't be hard to recreate the basic situation in a dozen different ways.

Let's say you're out fishing on a river in the fall. The fishing is fantastic, and you don't even notice that the sun is rapidly leaving the deep canyon you've chosen for chasing rainbows. Cold legs and a long day and a swift current conspire and you loose your footing at just the wrong moment, and now you're swimming in the current, getting carried downstream. The safety belt on your waders keeps you from turning into a sea-anchor, but its a hundred meters and two good blows to your right knee before you can scramble to shore.

Now you're on the opposite bank on a small gravel bar that's cliffed out on the upstream and downstream side. The only way out is by going back into the water...something that's not very appealing right now. You're soaked, already shivering, and it's forty-five-degrees and dropping. Lucky for you the gravel bar you're on has a large dead pine that was deposited during a flood in the past, but there are no twigs...just barkless branches terminating to a thickness of your thumb. Deep in the river canyon the sun rarely shines and everything has been wet for weeks. When you go to break off a branch the wood is rubbery and slick. You were on the verge of being cold before you fell in the river and now you can't touch your pinky to your thumb. Your well-supplied day pack is hanging in a tree half a mile upstream where you left it when you started fishing in ernest. It might as well be on the moon for all the good it's doing you, but on the other hand you'd have likely drown if you were wearing it. You've got your edc knife and your edc fire starter and enough wood to last the night and then some, if you can get it lit. But the best you're going to come up with for tinder is whatever shavings of damp, rubbery wood you can make before your hands are too cold to function. You have roughly ten minutes to get a fire established or you're going to die.

Of all the edc fire starters a person could pull out of their pocket right now, a firesteel is probably one of the worst.

My typical fire starters:
P1030980.jpg

Now I have several firesteels...ones I play with, and ones that are tucked into this kit or that. I enjoy them, and I find them very efficient under the right circumstances. But as far as a way to light a fire when you really need a fire, they suck. Compared to a lot of other things a person could cary, firesteels are one of the worst fire lighting devices available today for someone who really needs a fire RIGHT NOW, rather than someone who enjoys playing with fire making.

The reason I say this is because firesteels are dependent on very fine, very dry, very flammable tinder. Without the purest of tinder a firesteel will never get a fire lit, as the spark has no ability to dry out or preheat inferior tinder. This fine tinder is available in the wild if you know how to find it, but finding it in adverse conditions requires a fair amount of mobility. If for some reason you're stuck making a fire where you sit, either due to geography or injury, that fine tinder may very well not be available. I can think of hundreds of locations I've made camp where such fine tinder was not within a reasonable distance, and creating that tinder from the materials at hand required both a knife and/or ax, two working hands, and a hell of a lot more dexterity and time than a really cold person could ever afford.

So people cary their own tinder...vasaline on cotton, dryer lint, hand sanitizer (one of the dumbest IMO), and every other conceivably portable gimmick that might catch fire from a spark. This is all well and fine and there are conditions where carrying your own tinder makes good sense regardless of your ignition source, but it pretty much defeats any of the proposed advantages of the firesteel. Proponents of the 'steel say it's simple, reliable, long lasting, waterproof, and compact, and all of that is true, but not if you have to cary your tinder with you.

So what's a better solution for simplicity, reliability, portability, and the actual ability to get a fire lit in less than ideal conditions? Well I've given the subject a lot of thought and a lot of research, and I believe that the ultimate system that fulfills all of those requirements is.... a match safe with storm matches, and, er, a firesteel.

K&M long matchsafe
P1030986.jpg

Kitchen match and storm match.
P1030978.jpg

Let me explain: I have a K&M long matchsafe that holds 14 REI storm matches, two strikers, and a 3/16 firesteel. This is, to me, the ultimate solution for what a person could cary anywhere without it being a burden and still get a fire going under almost any conditions.

The matchsafe is double-O-ring protected against moisture, and the cap is held in place with a remarkably simple and effective cord system. I've used it for years, and I trust the O-ring system on this matchsafe as much as I trust the O-rings in my SCUBA equipment when I'm 260 feet under the sea breathing Nitrox. Simply put, so long as the O-rings are intact this matchsafe will not leak. Ever. K&M even includes a set of replacement O-rings with the safe, as well as a second cord and an instruction pamphlet. The matches in this safe are going to be dry when I need them; of that I have no doubt.

Double O-rings and a precision fit ensure waterproofness.
P1030975.jpg

A storm match creates a twelve-second windproof flame that is many, many orders of magnitude more efficient at igniting tinder than any firesteel. They burn hot, long, and reliably regardless of wind or moisture. They will ignite course or poor tinder...kindling even, that a firesteel won't even make a char mark on. They light after sitting in water...they even burn under water.

This goes on for twelve seconds before you even reach the wooden matchstick:
P1030984.jpg

On top of that, a storm match is much easier to bring to your tinder pile than a firesteel. Tinder piles tend to be fragile things where the construction is as important as the material, and when it's sleeting sideways and it's all you can do to protect your fuel from wind and sleet, trying to get a firesteel into the tinder and strike it without scattering your collection can be a challenge. And finally, a match doesn't require two hands to use. There are one-handed firesteels, but they still require that your tinder pile sits securely on a hard surface so you can depress the striker.

The matchsafe is larger than a firesteel, but it weighs very little. It actually weighs less than the 3/8 firesteel I use to play around with. I'm hyper-sensitive to weight, especially weight in my pockets, and the matchsafe rides in my pocket day-in and day-out unnoticed. The cord can be securely affixed to a button or girth hitched to a belt loop. There's even a compass in the cap which is surprisingly accurate. Attaching the matchsafe to a knife sheath would be simple, if that's how you like to cary your fire starter.

So long as you have your pants, you'll have your matchsafe.
P1030987.jpg

I don't use the matches as my regular fire starter. On any given cold-weather trip to the bush I might be lighting a fire four times a day, plus lighting a gas stove, burning paracord ends, etc.. My regular fire source is a peanut lighter or a butane lighter, or a firesteel if I'm in the mood to screw around. The matchsafe is my back-up, and it's what I use if conditions are such that it's impractical to use a lighter.

Twice a year I replace the matches with fresh ones. I'm not sure why...the old ones I take out work just fine, but I feel better doing it that way, and the matches are cheap. The 3/16 firesteel takes the place of one match, but it gives me a way of starting fires under better conditions if for some reason my match safe is my only fire kit, and it gives me a second way of igniting the matches if the strikers are somehow compromised.

Now obviously I'm not anti-firesteel, I just think they are a poor solution to making a fire when a person needs a fire the most. I think the real value of a firesteel is that if a person regularly uses one to light fires WITH LOCAL MATERIALS, they will learn more about finding tinder and fire lighting than the match and lighter group ever will. On the other hand, someone using a firesteel to light vasaline covered cotton or WetFire really isn't learning anything. They'd learn more by using a kitchen match.

I see some firesteels that have a tinder compartment attached to them. I don't entirely understand them. They are large, heavy, expensive, and near as I can tell don't hold enough tinder for 14 fire starts. But I guess they make more sense than having the tinder separate.

Keep the firesteels for fun and utility, but don't rely on them when its critical.

Great post, and excellent food for thought. Plus, I always like it when people question sacred cows.

I always maintain that if I'm in a situation where I really need a fire (as opposed to a luxury), then I need a fire now, not 20 minutes from now. As you point out, a firesteel alone is not the most efficient way to go when under duress, and simply having a firesteel on your keychain is a somewhat false sense of security. Regardless of your ignition, I think it's smart to carry a small bit of dry, highly-flammable material whenever practical. In a 3x5" zippered pouch, I keep a firesteel, dry storm matches, a lighter and a couple different tinders. It's still very small and packable, it gives me options, it easily fits in a pants cargo pocket and I know that I can get a fire going in just about any conditions with that kit. Maybe not as minimal as just carrying a firesteel, or just carrying a match case, but "minimal" is generally not my first concern - reliability, under a variety of conditions, is.

In the sort of backcountry conditions where hypothermia is a real concern, I make sure I'm never separated from the necessities and contingencies in my pack, or instead have what I really need on my person.

Last edited:
You make very valid points. I carry a firesteel and a piece of fatwood, always. Most of the time, I have a small bic lighter as well, as my "primary and frequent" source of fire.

At least you're thinking, that's the important part. I have some thoughts on this too, but they'll have to wait till I get back or perhaps better done tomorrow with pics. One thought, as to worse, is that it depends on which ferrocerium fire starter and how it is complimented...they're not all created equally. And the person better have some skill with whatever cutting tool they had in their pocket to get that wet rubbery wood to producing heat in less than the ten minutes of life they have left.

Little Bic lighter goes a long way. I keep a ferro rod as a back up but it doesn't make much sense to make things needlessly difficult when you can have fire on demand.

Great points.

I really only like the firesteel because it's just so damn fun to use. I really enjoy the process of building a fire with one. If I were in a survival situation or a matter of "whats easiest?" though I agree matches or a lighter would be more optimal.

Lighters are better than nothing, but if you've ever tried to use a lighter that has gotten wet, you know they have significant limitations - often in exactly the kind of conditions that require you to build a fire.

Awesome post and very informative. I had been thinking about latching firesteel to one of my knives,but I'm going to have to look into a matchsafe.

Interesting post. I've also noticed firesteels are finicky with tinder, of course I'm not very skilled in their use either. The scenario you gave would be bad with anything though IMHO. If all you have is a water soaked tree and your hands are already limited, it's going to be hard to do much with even a lighter within ten minutes. I'm no expert, not even close, and I'm not trying to argue. It just seems like the case given is worst case for all but the most prepared (mentally and gear wise). I agree, however, with your premise that firesteels aren't ideal. The match case with matches and steel is a great set up which would put someone in a much better position to make fire. Most folks like repitition in fire making tools and steels do add another tool to the box. Again, I enjoyed the post and your gear choice seems very solid. Take care.

I agree and disagree. I do believe a firesteel on it's own is putting yourself behind the 8 ball but when you combine it with a tinder like vaseline cotton balls stuffed into straws and sealed, you have a more reliable waterproofed solution then matches in a matchsafe IMO. Frankly, I don't even carry matches anymore. YMMV.

I love firesteels and use them at every opportunity for practice. But I am almost never outdoors with just a firesteel. First line is the bic, then matches and then firesteel. Each has their advantages and disadvantages. Just as I have a fixed blade on my belt and a pocket knife in my pocket. When I am overnighting, I have half a roadside flare...in a true emergency, I would light that sucker in a heartbeat.

I have seatbelts but left the airbags in place as well.

Bill

I love firesteels, but I wouldn't carry only a firesteel. I love lighters, but those are also not great once they get wet, unless it's sealed with an O ring. I usually carry matches, a firesteel, and two lighters. I also carry dry tinder in a waterproof container for a situation that I may get soaked. It seems like overkill to a lot of people to have extra tinder, but you really never know when you may need to use it.

This was very informative. I typically have at least the fire steel and a lighter, but I like your approach as an additional contingency.

Firesteels give you a spark not a flame. It seems people have forgotten that.

I love firesteels simply because they can be stored for a longer period of time without the worry they will not work months later. I have had several lighters stop working months after not having used them. The fuel evaporated. Same with butane lighters.

I still carry tinder no matter what firestarter I carry (lighters, matches, firesteels). Makes the effort of creating a fire easier. I don't want to hope there will be tinder around whenever I go out for a day or more.

Great post buddy and some good points made but, with that being said, I have to disagree for the most part.

I've deliberately put myself in some of the worst weather conditions, heavy rain, high winds and driving sleet and attempted to get fire. I can't go into too much detail right now but will say that the Bic lighter let me down (Became soaked and wouldn't light), Storm proof matches failed me and I soon lost dexterity to continue trying them. The ferro-rod was an improvement on both these items and performs well in wet weather using Fatwood, Pine resin, Cedar shavings or Balsam sap. The only item I found more reliable was the BBQ match/block type lighters that you strike like a match and burn for around 8 minutes even in diverse weather. Anyway that's just my opinion...YMMV !

the situation you discribe is why I always have some fire starter on me , when in the woods or on the water . I can build a fire as well as anyone but when minutes matter I want some way to get fire now. Once throught the emergency You can take you time to gather good tinder. you can dry tinder out with the first fire

Tons of respect for your post. Since it has not been mentioned, I want to also point out that you may call on your firesteel one day only to find a pile of powder and a firesteel handle attached to something resembling your former firesteel only grey in color and with a surface that looks like someone poured acid on it. The longevity that I have had so much respect for went out the window after that experience.

They are a TON of fun to play with and use for teaching the kids because they have to get the prep work right for their fires. I would never head out without waterproof matches or a lighter to go with the firesteel.

I have the K&M match cases as well but had not thought of putting a firesteel in with the matches. That is a great idea.

Mr. Sutured, thats one of the better posts on the subject that I've seen in a long time. And nicely integrated into your thesis is the notion of fun, and how it can affect what we characterize as "best". Firesteels are fun, as are Sebenzas and Busses. Now they are also functional too. But sometimes things are so fun that we start to act like being fun also makes them the "best". Fun and utility are two distinct aspects of a tool or a toy, but sometimes the distinction gets blurred by our eagerness to justify using the fun stuff. So anyway, I like the storm matches and waterproof container for the reasons you articulate. It may not be as fun as a firesteel, but it reliably produces fire - and thats really the point.

This is why I always put a small chunk of grade five fat wood along with an Altoids tin stuffed full with pre shaved fat wood curls in my zipped pocket along with my fire steel and bic lighter. Assuming i cannot make some shavings I can still light the pre shaved curls saturated in resin which are impervious to water. I do this in three strikes or less with the steel assuming my lighter fails me.i have been so cold before and light it in less than ten strikes from the lack of power and coordination. Between the curls, chunk of fat wood or sometimes a ball of pine pitch I can get a fire started. Since you mentioned a downed pine tree I'd hope to find additional resin on it somewhere.

If not then hopefully my wool clothing will keep me from dying as my only other recourse is to quickly find two poles and ford the stream back to the other side. Good lesson on not getting so tunnel visioned and lose track of time!!

Relying on any one method will let you down. I carry several ways to make a fire including matches. A firesteel has it's advantages for certain situations. As does the match, lighter, sparkee, fresnal lens, road flare, etc.

Always practice with all your means that you carry.

Back