The fickle finger of fate.

Fate. Karma. Lady Luck.

They all have a great deal in what happens in our life. I'm very convinced of that. The choices we make or sometimes have made for us. Who we are and more importantly, what we are sometimes has been determined by luck or fate. What we learned from our fathers, what we experienced in either the planned or unplanned events of our lives. Like what knives we like.

If I had been brought up in a later era or other place my choices my have been very different. Being mostly a city kid with summer time down on Marylands Eastern shore, I grew up with a foot in two different worlds. But pocket knives were a common thread. By age 12 dad had given me a nice scout knife and our scout leader of our troop was an old mud Marine who carried a real Remington scout knife. That set the bar pretty high for us kids, as the scout master, Mr. Van was a Demi God we'd follow to the nether regions if need be.

Down on the shore, grandparents place was a world of working watermen that didn't have a lot of disposable income. Things that were purchased had to be worth it in everyday practicality. Shotguns were simple break open Harrington Richardson or Stevens. Everyone had at least two of them, one stashed behind the kitchen door and the other stashed on the boat. Many an illegal duck dinner was served from a sudden target of opportunity while out on the boat harvesting crabs in the summer and oysters in the winter. And everyone had a .22 rifle. Like the shotguns, the rifles were simple rugged things that sometimes has a flashlight taped under the barrel. There was no shortage of poaching by many people down on the bay, and it was a fact of life that families had to be fed. Guns were just a plain tool to get a job done.

Knives were the same. Spending summers down on the bay, I got to know these characters well. I was always a bit surprised at how business like they were in choices of tools. That had a great influence on me growing up. These rough old cobs, poachers, loafers and sometimes chicken thieves all carried a very modest size pocket knife. Case Imperial, and Western were very popular and I guess it was my fate that the styles of knives I saw actually used by hard working watermen and poachers had a huge influence on me. Stockmen, barlow's, two blade jacks, all were used hard as what the modern folk call EDC items. All seemed to be in the 3 1/4 to 3 3/4 inch size. Stripping wire, cutting twine, scraping and rough work that few office cubicle workers will ever know. But they didn't use those knives for game. For that, the universal choice was the little stacked leather handle sheath knives called a Little Finn. Usually about a 3 inch blade.

But that was just the summer. The rest of the year I was a resident of Washington D.C. until dad moved us out to the Maryland suburb just outside of D.C. Pocket knives were still in use, and the small two blade jacks and penknives were the common knives of the day. Some of the tradesmen had specialized knives like surplus TL-29's, but they were not as common as the small jacks and pens. When I left home and joined the army I had still been carrying the scout knife dad gave me. I left it home as I didn't want it stolen and ended up with an army issue all steel scout knife from Camillus. I think my fate was sealed at this point. I started out with a scout knife and still was using a scout knife. Later on I picked up a Victorinox SAK and I think I was doomed. I did pick up a Buck 301 stockman later on and carried that knife for the next 25 years and used the ever lovin dog poo out of it. These two knife patterns held sway for the next 50 years. Everything I used in later life was either a small SAK of some kind or a stockman like the smaller Buck 303 cadet. I had got too used to having more than one blade and a choice of tools on a small package in my pocket. Oh, once in a while I strayed with a two blade pen pattern but always came back to the SAK and small stockman.

I've never had any interest in a lock blade knife, maybe because of the time and place I grew up, or the grownups I watched and learned from. As a kid, I guess there was a certain hero worship at work, and I watched men like my dad, granddad, Uncle Paul, Matt Rankin, and they all did just fine with the 1950's era slip joints. In fact, they all looked down on the lockbacks of the day that were the 'switchblades' of the ducktail haircut crowd. Called them punks weapons. I guess I look back on my life and I feel very thankful to have had such people to learn from. I think fate smiled on me when I was a kid. To this day, I think the root of my minimalist pragmatic outlook is an off shoot of my early days as a pup watching what the grown up big dogs did. I think back with some amusement at my reaction to the first Buck 110 I saw and handled when they came out. I looked at the thing, totally turned off by the fact that it had just one blade, weighed what a small pistol did, and I said something like 'what is this clunker good for?'

Now as an old man looking back on life, I'm very happy that fate guided me on the path it did. I'm even still using the same kind of small SAK's and slip joints I've used my whole life and haven't been caught short yet. I'm doing more fishing than ever before, and siting in a folding chair on the shady bank of the San Gabriel river ain't a bad way to spend retirement.

Like my old man told me a very long time ago, "It doesn't have to be big, just sharp."

Thanks dad!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your story ... I think for many of us the people and tools (including guns and knives) ... really shaped what we ended up preferring later in life ...

wish we could pass it on to the young generation now ... but I'm afraid many take little to no interest or even notice little things like you mentioned ...

it's good to hear these stories.

JJ

I was talking to a guy the other day about “the way it used to be”. I’m a transplant to the NorthWest but it would be interesting to go back in time around here to see what life was like. I’m sure you could change the location from Maryland to almost any rural part of the country and end up with the same story, just different names.

I’ve gone back and read several of your stories, some I could relate to, others I only wish I could...

We must be about the same age as I can relate to a lot of your stories. Only set in small town central Texas and the people and places and things that took place around my grandfather. He was a product of the Depression, a veteran and ran a rural mail route that he took me on a lot as the oldest grandson. We lived across the street and I was with him as often as possible. I must have been close to 12 before I realized that everybody didn't hunt out of an old car on the dirt roads he delivered mail on. A single shot .22 and break action .410 lived in his back seat under a blanket, ready to put dinner on the table. Mostly dove and quail. I was amazed the first time I saw someone shoot a bird on the wing! Not Papa. He'd burn into a covey of quail and his bird dog (me) would sometime bring 6 or 8 back at a time. A group of dove on a high line was dispatched with the same effect. The epitome of a table hunter.
Your stories are great and bring back a lot of memories. Thanks,--KV

Thanks for the great read! You should write a book with all of the stories you have told over the years. I would buy two copies!

It’s more than that I enjoyed reading your post. As a still somewhat of an outsider to the traditional knife world, your thoughts gave me a richer understanding of the connection that those like you have for these knives. Thank you.

We must be about the same age as I can relate to a lot of your stories. Only set in small town central Texas and the people and places and things that took place around my grandfather. He was a product of the Depression, a veteran and ran a rural mail route that he took me on a lot as the oldest grandson. We lived across the street and I was with him as often as possible. I must have been close to 12 before I realized that everybody didn't hunt out of an old car on the dirt roads he delivered mail on. A single shot .22 and break action .410 lived in his back seat under a blanket, ready to put dinner on the table. Mostly dove and quail. I was amazed the first time I saw someone shoot a bird on the wing! Not Papa. He'd burn into a covey of quail and his bird dog (me) would sometime bring 6 or 8 back at a time. A group of dove on a high line was dispatched with the same effect. The epitome of a table hunter.
Your stories are great and bring back a lot of memories. Thanks,--KV

I grew up around those men who lived through the Great Depression and they were a hard bunch. I can't imagine the hard times with money and a wider and kids home that need to eat. I guess caring about the game warden went on a far back burner. A .22 rifle and a simple break open shotgun put food on many a table, and that's a hard habit to break. With some staples in the pantry like flour, sugar, salt, and coffee, a haunch of venison or a turkey will go a long way.

Then they went off and fought a horrible world war and came home and went about their lives. These were some tough guys.

It’s more than that I enjoyed reading your post. As a still somewhat of an outsider to the traditional knife world, your thoughts gave me a richer understanding of the connection that those like you have for these knives. Thank you.

In many cases, me included in that, it is a emotional connection. A connection to a simpler time where the gray area was much much more narrow and the black and white areas were much much broader. There was right and wrong and people were held to a higher standard. To me, the simple slip joint represents a time where people did amazing things like survive a Great Depression and fight a world war, then come home and become delivery truck drivers, store managers, construction workers, office personal, and even teachers. They didn't make a big deal out of things, and just went about life no matter if it was good or bad.

I've watched the birth and growth of the 'new' modern one hand wonder knives and the tactical gun thing with a very jaundiced eye. I admit to being prejudiced against a lot of the 'new and improved moue traps' that have been brought out. I see them much as fishing lures that have nothing to do with catching fish, as much as catching the dollar bills out of the Fishermans pocket.

Maybe growing up around men like my Uncle Charlie who waded ashore at Normandy, or my Uncle Mike who got a PT boat shot out from under him in the English Channel had an influence on me. Uncle Charles carried his old Camillus TL-29 his whole life. My Uncle Mike carried his navy issued Camillus stockman until all three blades were worn down to pointy toothpicks. These men were the hero to me, and they had a huge influence on what I did and what I used.

Yeah, I guess when I look at an old jack or pen, or Barlow, I think of a time past that seemed better in many ways than now. An emotional trigger.

I’m a couple months shy of 70. I get what you’re saying. The knives are symbols of a time and people who represent values we should all cherish. You most certainly do. Again, thank you.

It wasn't until my grandfather died that I found out he fought behind the lines with the French resistance movement. I remember him speaking a few French cuss word every once in a while when my grandma wasn't around but didn't think anything of it. He never spoke about the war. When he died he had about 8 different things, any one of which would have killed the normal person. Probably the toughest guy I ever knew.--KV

I quess this is about knives, but I have also seen old people who went through the war. I have heard their childrens stories about their fathers, how they newer could talk about their feelings. How they used to drink and beat their wives and kids. One relative told how his dad screamed in his sleep and had to have loaded pistol on the table beside the bed. He was an artist and he drew his experiences, men holding their intestines in their hands, eyes wide in horror. He went through two wars in the worst places, it's a miracle he survived. He had seen too much, too horrible things.

But yes, knives. Simple puukko's that were used to gut fish and game, at building sites cutting material. Sometimes those old knives were beautifull even when worn with use. More often simple tools, but they were all over the place.

I quess this is about knives, but I have also seen old people who went through the war. I have heard their childrens stories about their fathers, how they newer could talk about their feelings. How they used to drink and beat their wives and kids. One relative told how his dad screamed in his sleep and had to have loaded pistol on the table beside the bed. He was an artist and he drew his experiences, men holding their intestines in their hands, eyes wide in horror. He went through two wars in the worst places, it's a miracle he survived. He had seen too much, too horrible things.

But yes, knives. Simple puukko's that were used to gut fish and game, at building sites cutting material. Sometimes those old knives were beautifull even when worn with use. More often simple tools, but they were all over the place.
Sorry about dragging that post off topic.--KV

Great read Carl... thank you! :) My childhood was in the 80's and in 1984 my family built a camp in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and at the time it was at least a 30 minute drive to any town that had electricity and running water. My typical everyday life at home really did not have the need for an EDC simply because times were different. However once the fall rolled around and grouse season started then most of my time was spent at the hunting camp with my Dad. At the camp is where I had my stash of necessary tools that I kept in a shoe box... it had my binoculars, flashlights, compass and always had my Buck 105 fixed blade and an old Chicago Cutlery lock back. After reading your story it made me think about the times during my childhood where I could remember my Dad, Grandpa, Uncle's and Cousin's using knives and it was largely at our very humble piece of heaven on Earth; the hunting camp. In fact, the night before deer season opener, I was the designated "knife sharpener" and everyone would throw their knives in front of me after supper and say "make it sharp!"

I searched thru some pictures I have on my computer of one of the latest trips I made to camp and low & behold on the large dining table at the very end you can see my two necessities of camp:

Camp18.JPG

Camp17.JPG

The vacuum and outlet are deceiving because we really didn't have power there and decided to splurge in the year 2006 to get a generator; so all through my childhood out there it was no running water and no electricity... just LP gas and wood heat :):thumbsup: I've attached several pictures below if people want to relive my childhood "fall home". Many memories for sure. My Dad passed away in 2010 and many of my best memories of him live on in these pictures. The year that I bagged my largest whitetail buck, he and I spent an entire two weeks here without ever leaving to go into "wired civilization"... probably the best two weeks of my life. So echoing your sign-off... thanks Dad! ;)

Attachments

• Camp1.JPG
    Camp1.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Camp2.JPG
    Camp2.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Camp3.JPG
    Camp3.JPG
    260.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Camp4.JPG
    Camp4.JPG
    301.5 KB · Views: 40
  • CAMP19.JPG
    CAMP19.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Camp20.JPG
    Camp20.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Camp21.JPG
    Camp21.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
More pics for "ambiance"... :D

Attachments

• Camp5.JPG
    Camp5.JPG
    239.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Camp6.JPG
    Camp6.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Camp7.JPG
    Camp7.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Camp8.JPG
    Camp8.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 41
  • Camp9.JPG
    Camp9.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Camp10.JPG
    Camp10.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Camp12.JPG
    Camp12.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Camp13.JPG
    Camp13.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Camp14.JPG
    Camp14.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 39
  • Camp15.JPG
    Camp15.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 41
My addiction to knives has more to do with the connection I can make with them then it will ever have to do with the materials. Steel, wood, stag, bone... etc, none of those aspects affect me as much as that “one” knife from days gone by.

My biological father passed away with a Buck 110 on his hip and I can’t escape his memory when I see those big boat anchors come hunting season. Even though it’s a pattern that doesn’t suit my knife needs on a regular basis, nor is it one that ticks off all of my learned preferences, but I’ll always have one, I’ll always throw one in the sheath and carry it around once in a while.

The old farmer Bill carried a Case yellow fishing knife and on the hottest days he would pull up on his John Deere and laugh at my brother and I on our hands and knees in the dirt. He would look down at us with a grin as he sliced another piece of apple off, enjoying his “retirement” all the more. I can’t see one and not think of his “tainted” wisdom about the world, girls and trucks.

Any buck fixed blade with the black scales will remind me of my brother and his chaotic ability to strap 5 of them onto his belt and go off in search of bear, rifle slung over the shoulder.

I could name a dozen more patterns and the people and the places where they left their impact on me. Even though I can’t truly relive those exact memories I can refresh them by having a similar knife.

My own personal knife legacy, the knives I’ll be remembered for will forever be a combination of those past experiences as well as the circumstances that help me choose what to use. Life teaches you even when those you desire to emulate are gone. My grandfather would forever question my love of the stockman, but it fits me.

I'm 50 now and thankfully my dad is still alive, but he taught me nothing about knives. What I know more about knives I picked up on my own. Somehow my interest in cutlery was intrinsic.

I'm 50 now and thankfully my dad is still alive, but he taught me nothing about knives. What I know more about knives I picked up on my own. Somehow my interest in cutlery was intrinsic.
Same here. Our son's time in boy scouts made this knowledge a necessity. Before that the most common knives were Mora's at the summer cottage. My uncle had a farm where I spent time during summers and he used knives in his work. Still I became truly interested in my 30's.

Back