1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Flea Market Mung Absolution Thread

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by RRaconteur, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Oyster

Oyster Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Congrats to @Choppaman
    Nice one!
    Even better, you helped a forum brother out in the process :thumbsup:

SneezySky, grogimus, Lady1911 and 2 others like this.
  2. rswanson

rswanson Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2011
    @Oyster , thanks for the heads up on the Bush Hermit. Have my eye on it but am hoping for something lighter in tone. Now, if I only had made up my mind on the gorgeous BH in quarter-sawn oak at Old Towne before some philistine snapped it up!

Nbrackett and Oyster like this.
  3. Oyster

Aug 2, 2011
    O
    I’m honestly surprised it’s still there.
    If I hadn’t bought so many knives recently, I would be that other philistine...

rswanson and Nbrackett like this.
  4. NoRest

NoRest Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 2015
    I'd have already snagged it if it were TT!

Oyster likes this.
  5. delkhouri

delkhouri

Feb 25, 2007
    Me too

NoRest and Oyster like this.
  6. rswanson

Jun 10, 2011
    Question there- how's the feel on the BH tapered vs SFT? I'm looking to find a good all around woods knife with a filling handle but is the SFT version too filling? I don't own a Fiddleback yet but I know I need a big, long handle.

Choppaman likes this.
  7. Choppaman

Choppaman Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2017
    Me three

NoRest likes this.
  8. Oyster

Aug 2, 2011
    Someone else will have to chime in re the larger blades as I gravitate towards smaller. My only larger blade is an Old School Lady Finger. It has a 5” handle but is specifically designed to be on the slimmer side.
    Generally, FFs enjoy a reputation for having extremely comfortable handles. Because they are handmade, there will be some variance between examples of the same model. I don’t think they are considered to be especially big in the handles and certainly not “too filling”.
    I think the best thing for you to do is name a few more common knives that you are familiar with and maybe a forum member can post some comparison pics with some Fiddlebacks. Or maybe someone can point you to already existing ones.
    Of course, I suppose you could also just buy a model that appeals to you from one of the dealers with a return policy. That would give you a chance to at least hold it and see how you like it. Naturally, I wouldn’t suggest buying/returning too often...

Lady1911 likes this.
  9. NoRest

NoRest Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 2015
    I don't believe the handle on the SFT version is any thicker than the same model with a TT. I just like the feel of more weight forward on most knives.

Lady1911 likes this.
  10. catalystman80

catalystman80 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2013
    I agree, TT and SFT don’t seem to have bearing on how thick the handle ends up being for a given model. I used to think the same that SFTs are thicker, but noticed it wasn’t the case after I bought my share of Fiddies (and also better learned folks here schooled me :) )

11. Oyster

Aug 2, 2011
    ^ i would agree with NoRest for smaller knives. On larger ones I think I prefer some weight in the handle so that the knife rests solidly in the hand (effectively “falls back” into the hand if that makes sense)

Lady1911 likes this.
  12. Choppaman

May 6, 2017
    In my opinion, I honestly don’t notice a difference in the 1/8” SFT and 1/8” or 5/32” TT tangs in 4” plus blades, I prefer TT. Looks good and shaves a little weight (a little). I have both. Cherish them all. When you get into 1/4” and 3/16 the biggest thing I notice is weight. What is your main use?

13. rswanson

Jun 10, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback. I did post recently with some of your questions. I should've been more specific. I'm mainly using an Adventure Sworn Mountaineer right now, which has a great handle but I feel I could use a little more length. I've admired Fiddleback knives for years but haven't (yet!) bought one. Good to know about the TT and SFT thickness similarities. So it's more about balance then. Now, someone sell me a Bush Hermit! Haha

14. rswanson

Jun 10, 2011
    Main use is 50/50 camp tasks and wood related. Mostly simple carving and fire prep. My current knife is a scandi grind and it can bite deep so I want to try a really nice flat or convex grind. I just sold a GSO 4.7. Its a great knife but it's just too much. Fiddleback designs check a lot of boxes for me right now.

Choppaman likes this.
  15. Choppaman

May 6, 2017
    I have one for sale. PM me your cell number. I’ll send some pics. May not be what you’re looking for but very cool. 5/32” TT

rswanson likes this.
  16. rswanson

Jun 10, 2011
    Just sent you a PM. Thanks for the offer!

17. Warrior108

Warrior108 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2012
    @rswanson

The handles end up as thick as someone (I think that is Andy but please don't quote me) feels they ought to be per knife and regardless of steel thickness or taper. Here's an example of 3 Bushfingers. The bog oak is 5/32 TT, the brisket is 1/8 TT and the evergreen is 3/32 SFT. I just feel like this is a classic example of the variety and that every one is unique. Hope that helps and doesn't confuse things. :)

Also, this is exactly why I wish more work for @VANCE ;) because it would be nice to see the full top-view of the knives/handles on Fiddleback Fridays. If I can't tell from a dealer's pics, I'll contact them and ask for more pics and they usually send them pretty quickly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. rswanson

Jun 10, 2011
    That's fantastic information. I get that they're all individuals and that's part of the appeal. Those three could be different knives looking at the tang shots. You guys are great!

Oyster and Choppaman like this.
  19. Choppaman

May 6, 2017
    Holy smokes. @Warrior108 throwing some 3/32” out there.

Oyster likes this.
  20. delkhouri

delkhouri

Feb 25, 2007
    Really need to move that Cornflower Blue G10 Bushnub with Joufuu sheath post #13191.... if you have any interested let me know.