The Future of Stainless Knife Steel Design

Pete of Cedric & Ada did exactly this with most of the Mules (24, I think) and I'm doing similar test. He didn't mention how they dulled. I could try to capture how they dulled, although without a decent microscope I'm sure sure that I could really discern. Are you looking for rolling vs. chipping vs. something else? Curious what you're looking for.

I'd like less chipping. The best personal example I can give is when Cold Steel switched from AUS-8 to XHP. The AUS8 would just kinda 'blunt' for lack of a better term, where the XHP would become micro-serrated. I experienced this on the same model, American Lawman. Nowadays my taste in knives is such that it's hard to find the ones I like with steels I prefer. I never let them get down to a 'working edge' anyways. I don't expect my sharpening intervals to change much in frequency, but I'd like the duration to be shorter and not need to remove a certain amount of steel to get a chip out.

I think my preferences are very much like yours. I don’t mind sharpening fairly often because I prefer my knives to be quite sharp at all times and i don’t want the sharpening to require removing more metal than necessary.

I'd like less chipping. The best personal example I can give is when Cold Steel switched from AUS-8 to XHP. The AUS8 would just kinda 'blunt' for lack of a better term, where the XHP would become micro-serrated. I experienced this on the same model, American Lawman. Nowadays my taste in knives is such that it's hard to find the ones I like with steels I prefer. I never let them get down to a 'working edge' anyways. I don't expect my sharpening intervals to change much in frequency, but I'd like the duration to be shorter and not need to remove a certain amount of steel to get a chip out.

I also agree btw, thin geometry with strong chip resistant steel is ideal

a good name would be cpm-3n (instead of v) or perhaps cpm-3nb because n alone really should stick to nitrogen ; )

in any case, I was going to mention asking guys I work with to make some, but we're not equipped for pm steel
(like Larrin, we're like 90%+ on auto sector & construction steel)

I have a hollow ground hidden tang hunter from Phillip Patton that had, when I received it, a worryingly thin grind at the edge. It has been lovely!!

I have two customs in AEBL, and have been nothing but impressed.

I don't own any of the super wear resistant steels.

Cpm3v is about my most "exotic" but I sure like it too.

I have wondered about INFI steels (I've owned about 13 or so models, and used even more, including the earlier versions of INFI, and the higher hardness in old and new versions).

I'd love to see what the chemical composition of it was. Really tough stuff, average wear resistance. Good stain resistance. Supposedly had nitrogen at one point in the secret formula.

Academic for me at this point, as I no longer own any.

Back