The Garberg arrived today

Mora is following a pattern that Opinel and Buck have successfully used. Opinel to a limited extent and Buck to a huge extent, offers upgraded versions of the basic models. You can find limited run Opinels north of $200 and limited runs and custom-shop Bucks with upgrade blades and scales.

I would guess this move is complimentary, not competitive. Different customer base.

Yeah, I'm with you on that. But taking the Buck for example; there is clear blue water between their bargain bucket range of steels and their S30V. And the price hike seems a fair reflection of that.

On the other hand I'm thinking Kershaw. They made some really good folders for a while. Now it seems they are focusing on putting out some really low rent stuff. I wonder how much of a threat decent Kershaws became to their own ZT range. Now they seem to be trying to ensure the customer base is different where there not so long ago there could have been some overlap and headscratching.

Back to the Moras and despite that Canterbury goon cooing over the seemingly magic wand properties of the Garberg's 14C28N steel I've never heard of anyone suggesting it was a massive leap up from the regular 12C27. Better sure, but nothing like Buck's 420 compared to S30V. Plus S30V is hugely harder to grind. I don't see how that can be it. And it sure isn't in the difference between the cheapo handle materials. Nah, I think they are fundamentally much closer than that, which I why I devised the Opinel thought experiment. You might be right, but my jury is still out.

Not a bad review on the knife

[video]https://youtu.be/XXl42py9kFA[/video]

Garberg question for Multi-mount sheath owners.

Can the Multi-mount sheath be mounted to your belt in the traditional style? Or is it just for mollie/strap/screw mount?
And if so, can it be carried vertically? Or scout stlye?

Lots of mounting methods , straight on belt, swinging .velcro , or whatever you can invent.

The steel is just an improvement over the previous ones .Not a great difference .The same easy sharpening , can get very sharp quickly and easily. Always happy with a straight handle and blade. Full tang ,etc,etc. Yes it's worth $ 80 ,a big step above typical Moras.

Mete,

Thanks,

I was reading reviews last night. And some guy was unhappy with the MM Sheath. Said he couldn't mount it to his belt and wished he'd ordered the leather version. I didn't think that was accurate. But I knew you guys would have the answer.

Thanks again!

Alright, I caved.

Garberg inbound.
Multi-Mount Sheath

And it's won't be alone. I have been using my 2000 a lot lately. Best free knife I ever got. So I pre ordered a Kansbol to go along with the Garberg.

The 2000 is just like Mora describes it. A great all round blade. In the past 48 hours it has cut up a steak, batoned some kindling, made a bunch of feather sticks. Sliced some apples, walnuts, and dates to throw in the oatmeal for breakfast. Chopped up some leftover steak,onions, and peppers for an omelette, cut twine, and other assorted woodsy and kitchen tasks. No fuss, no muss.

I'm a hunter and process my game 100% myself. I rely very heavily on Mora's knives which use Sandvik 12C27 and have never had chipping issues. The most I've had is edge rolling when hitting bone, and honestly, what properly tempered steel wouldn't roll a bit when biting bone? I don't do micro-bevels either. I do let the factory edges work until they are sharpened out, but I use the primary bevel (Scandi on the Companions, v-grind on the "Hunter Set") on them and have ZERO issues.

Again, I hit bone constantly cleaning deer and other game. When I clean a deer, quarter a deer, and when I de-bone a ham or remove a backstrap, I'm hitting bone. No issues other than normal (and acceptable) edge rolling.

I think the carbon steel (which I believe is probably 1095 or close to it at a lower RC hardness) Mora uses gets sharper, a finer edge, and sharpens easier, especially just touching up on a strop. But their Sandvik 12C27 is awesome stuff. It's harder so the edge lasts longer, it's durable and it serves me very well.

If this new stainless is even better, well, I hope they do some trickle down because I sure like paying peanuts for knives that perform so well.

Just my two cents worth exactly what you paid. ;P

I unexpectedly had an opportunity to get the Garberg dirty. Turned out to be a beautiful sunny day in the upper 50's, a rare combination when the words "New Jersey" and "November" are used in the same sentence. Instead of raking leaves I played hookey and hit the woods. I was only out for about 5 hours though, so I was not able to perform an exhaustive test, but the knife did get used pretty heavily.

I bought the multi-mount system, but I only use the plastic sheath and belt dangler attachment. A plastic sheath to me is kinda cheesy, but a lot of Mora's come with them so I've learned to at least accept it. Retention doesn't feel all that tight but I didn't have a problem with it falling out. Pulling the knife in and out of the sheath was never an issue, and with the dangler there was no jabbing in my side as I moved around. It weighs next to nothing and is not at all large, so I didn't even know it was on my belt to be honest.

Mine came with a very good factory edge so it hasn't been touched up at all, not even stropped. I started out my day with some light duty tasks, like shaving bark off a branch and carving a pot hanger. Things changed quickly though because I was getting swarmed by gnats, another thing not common for November. Because there were just so many of them I decided to build my fire right away. That means battoning, and I went right for my acid test.

The area I go to has quite a few Eastern Red Cedar, or should I say "had"; every single one of them is standing dead now. There must have been some type of horrible blight years ago because they're the only dead trees in this part of the woods. The Cedar are scattered among deciduous trees, so it's not as though they were concentrated in one area and something wiped out everything in just that spot.

Anyone whose cut into Red Cedar knows that very unique smell, and I absolutely love it. One thing I don't necessarily love though is how this stuff gets when seasoned. Actually, "seasoned" is probably not the right word - think more along the lines of petrified instead; it's as hard as a rock. Add in the plethora of knots it frequently has and you end up battoning through natures equivalent of concrete with rebar. Makes for a good knife test I must say.

The Garberg is a bit smaller than my preferred blade length so I had to baton off planks as opposed to the normal quartering I do. I beat on this knife and cut at least a dozen of those planks, and it was while doing this I found my one true complaint (OK, so I cut to the chase with that statement ;)). The sharpened pommel makes the act of battoning a problem, at least if you have hands like mine that are larger than average. As my palm extends beyond the handle that pommel started to nic up the fleshy part, and in my case even took out a few tiny chunks of skin. The pommel isn't all bad though because it was helpful for scraping the cedar planks to get some shavings to start a fire. The motion and angle while scraping with the pommel wasn't the most efficient, so in the end I used the spine of the knife for the majority of this task.

One thing that surprised me somewhat is the handle gave me no fatigue. When I first got the knife I wasn't impressed with the contour, nor did I like the plastic feeling scale material. Because of that I wondered what might happen if I used the knife for a while. In real word use it ultimately proved very effective, felt comfortable and secure and had no hotspots. It does transmit a far amount of shock while battoning. For someone like me that's a problem, but for the person who doesn't batton it would be a non-issue.

Cutting prowess was typical Mora, which means it does that task with ease. From hogging off large chunks of wood to fine carving tasks, and everything in between, the Garberg did its job extremely well. Even thumb pushing on detail cuts wasn't bad, which can be irritating sometimes when working with a knife that has a sharp spine (and the Garberg has a very sharp spine).

After all manner of woodworking, from light to heavy, when I got home the edge had zero issues; no rolling, no chipping, no damage of any kind. I showed no quarter today, yet in spite of that it sliced through phonebook paper as cleanly and easily at the end of the day as it did in the very beginning. The Garberg demonstrated itself to be one very fine knife, and for the $65 I paid it's an amazing value as well. The blade is a bit too small for me to consider it my favorite, but for anyone looking at something in the 4" range this one should definitely be considered. The knife gets a thumbs up for sure.

Following are a couple of pic's from the day, with the first being the knife before it had seen any work.

Beginning_of_the_day.jpg

Here is a sample of what I battoned.

Battoning_1.jpg

Battoning_2.jpg

Battoning_3.jpg

5 picture limit per post, so the rest of them are below

What's tough to see below is the pile of fluff I was able to get scraping with the spine and pommel. It's a bit more than this picture implies.

Shavings.jpg

Here the fire my Garberg helped make.

Fire.jpg

This is what the knife looked like as I was packing up.

End_of_the_day.jpg

And one final shot... something I stumbled upon as I was trekking out of the woods.

Surprise.jpg

Back