The Gentrification of Knives

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by PaultheCarpenter, Aug 13, 2020.

1. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Oh please, you know full well this was a small run that was a play on the word "desert" it was just supposed to be something fun and different. Don't be a stick in the mud.

2. CcDoubleU

CcDoubleU Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 7, 2019
    I own many knives from $700 customs to $10 walmart knives, i treat them all the same and use them for any task i have at hand. It is a tool i have used every day of my life and at one point i decided to make a hobby out of it. i use box cutters some but have found a pocket knife overall does those same tasks much better.

3. Richard Coyle

Richard Coyle Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2019
    I’m gonna be honest, the only reason I read this thread was because of the word “gentrification” :)

4. PaultheCarpenter

PaultheCarpenter

Jul 12, 2020
    I love that knife, if it wasn't a switchblade I would have got one. Unfortunately, laws.

WValtakis and unwisefool like this.
  5. unwisefool

Jan 22, 2007
    Yeah it's a cool fun knife. It's not like there aren't about 3000 other choices if people don't like the color scheme. Didn't realize it was an automatic even though it's literally right there in the name ha :oops:

WValtakis and JAB like this.
  6. SubMicron

SubMicron

Feb 2, 2020
    I'm not being a stick in the mud, I'm just saying that I'm not sure what direction modern knife design is headed.

This is after all a thread on the topic of the gentrification of knives. I cant think of a design that makes a switchblade more polite and less threatening than a baby blue blade and pink handle with rainbow sprinkles.

If rainbow sprinkles arent your thing, there's always this:

Screenshot_20200815-131406_Chrome.jpg

7. PaultheCarpenter

PaultheCarpenter

Jul 12, 2020
    Take me through the thinking here. How does the color of a thing invoke such insecurity?

unwisefool likes this.
  8. Rsparks64

Rsparks64

Nov 27, 2018
    I think I still probably have scars on my knees from playing mumbly peg in the summer with shorts on.

Rich S likes this.
  9. unwisefool

Jan 22, 2007
    How threatening a knife looks is not one of the criteria I think about when deciding what to buy.

Also that rainbow color scheme must be somewhat popular, as Kershaw sold a whole bunch of knives like that before.

10. Houlahound

Houlahound Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 2, 2017
    The old worker theory being promoted is demonstrably FALSE.

You only need to look at any (and all) part of human history from the most primitive to advanced in every culture and knives as status symbols, art, ceremonial and ritual ornaments and adornments has been a thing for as long as humans have had knives.

Surprised the OP failed to understand objective historical facts.

Julian Williams likes this.
  11. PaultheCarpenter

PaultheCarpenter

Jul 12, 2020
    Not false, but it's a mixed truth. You're absolutely right to point out ceremonial and ornamental knives. In fact I own a sgian-dubh for those rare occasions I attend a wedding in a kilt, but you're confusing tradition and ceremony with a hobby for people with disposable cash, and you seem to have missed out on reading around half of the OP.

Houlahound likes this.
  12. JBC6650

JBC6650 Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Paul. It seems you don't spend much on your knives based on your profile post, do you invest in good quality tools for carpentry? I've come to look at knives in that vein, I want a good quality tool (function, quality, pride of ownership) and in most cases that means a $50 to $250 price tag, pushing higher for more elite pieces, while knowing there are a few budget gems too. I also for the most part prefer American made and know that comes with a higher price tag which I'm okay with.

My personal limit right now is $250, but I keep eyeballing, CRKs, Hinderers, Spartans and damn him Greg Medford started making things that I like. So that limit is going to have to increase next year. I did notice a couple online retailers have layaway programs...that makes things more manageable / justifiable for me.

13. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    I could. The cheap, plastic sound you get when you close a full size Griptilian drives me nuts. I still carry the knife though.

14. JBC6650

Jul 19, 2008
    I kind of like the thwack sound, but I have found its better if you tighten up all the body screws or even locktite them.

sabre cat likes this.
  15. PaultheCarpenter

PaultheCarpenter

Jul 12, 2020
    I used to, but I lose or break knives a lot, so it makes price prohibitive. I can make shorter work of most super steels than something like 440c, Aus 8 or even 8cr13mov due to the harder steels chipping because of the types of things I do with them - building a wild west town in the desert or smashing out a cannon ball holes in the side of a wooden ship are an average day for me recently. Also you have to take into account maintenance of the blade. I don't have the time or desire to spend five times longer trying to get an edge with a steel that isn't all that easy to sharpen, especially I'm touching an edge up while I'm working. And when I inevitably chip or snap that more expensive blade, I will never find the time to reprofile it, while I can toss a cheaper knife and pull out another without a care. Don't worry about me, I've found my personal sweet spot and that lies within a knife's ability to gouge.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  16. Srtr

Srtr

Feb 9, 2016
    I've never pulled my knife out to cut something and then be like "damn...I can't cut this now...my knife sounded bad...guess this thing will just have to stay uncut until I can go home and get a knife that sounds good."

17. Kabancheck

Kabancheck

Aug 11, 2018
    I am don’t think that chainges in knives world is so dramatic :) All what mentioned in OP is related only to us - quite small group of the knife enthusiasts in world perspective. All other world still treats knives like 50 and even 100 years ago, they bye only knives that they really need with the best price that they can find near the home, because it’s just a knife :) In many areas people still believe that best knife is the knife that was made it by yourself.

18. JBC6650

Jul 19, 2008
    Makes sense now. You might want to try some of Cold Steel line they have a mix of steel still floating around. I really like the Code 4 and Voyager lines.

19. PaultheCarpenter

PaultheCarpenter

Jul 12, 2020
    I just bought a few SR1 Lites as it happens. I'm a big fan of Damko.

JBC6650 likes this.
  20. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    I haven’t either.