1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

The Grand Unified Grit Chart

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Komitadjie, Jun 13, 2011.

1. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Here's a good chart from well-known industrial giant, Washington Mills comparing ANSI, FEPA F, and JIS standards.

adamlau likes this.
  2. adamlau

adamlau

Oct 13, 2002
    That is the same one I reference. Good one!

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  3. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    If anyone knows grit standards, it's them. Probably the most reputable source short of buying copies of the standards from the respective institutes themselves.

4. ca60852012

ca60852012

Feb 27, 2015
    Just a question, are the kme gold series diamond stones on this list? Just trying to get my grit progression written down, and make sure it makes sense.

5. adamlau

adamlau

Oct 13, 2002
    Going to combine the two charts I tend to reference most frequently in this post:

Note: The Washington Mills chart was corrected in the following manner:
    1. Average and Maximum fields for ANSI reversed
    2. Average and Maximum values for ANSI #20 reversed
    Grand Logarithmic Grit Chart v0.93.png
    Grit Size to Micron Comparison Chart.png

6. Littlebabycarrot

Littlebabycarrot

Jan 1, 2018
    I have a question regarding the chart... if any helpful fellows could answer it I would be pretty grateful.
    Regarding the compounds listed on the chart (i did check the readme file but may have missed it): are these generic compounds you might get at harbor freight, sears etc? Or a specific manufacturer like Lee Valley, perhaps? Also
    To be sure i have the color code straight Gray compound is at .5 microns and white(?) Is at 1 micron?
    I saw green is listed at around 600 which jibes with what i have seen it listed at when advertised for sale on some sites.... and
    Any info on what abrasives are in the finer compounds would also be appreciated
    Thanks guys

7. Claes

Claes

Jan 20, 2006
  8. Littlebabycarrot

Littlebabycarrot

Jan 1, 2018
    I was thinking maybe it would be easier if manufacturers were to list the average scratch size left by a particular stone... but i suppose they would need to say which steel at what rockwell hardness it left those scratches on?

9. Littlebabycarrot

Littlebabycarrot

Jan 1, 2018