The Grand Unified Grit Chart

Here's a good chart from well-known industrial giant, Washington Mills comparing ANSI, FEPA F, and JIS standards.

If anyone knows grit standards, it's them. Probably the most reputable source short of buying copies of the standards from the respective institutes themselves.

Just a question, are the kme gold series diamond stones on this list? Just trying to get my grit progression written down, and make sure it makes sense.

I have a question regarding the chart... if any helpful fellows could answer it I would be pretty grateful.
Regarding the compounds listed on the chart (i did check the readme file but may have missed it): are these generic compounds you might get at harbor freight, sears etc? Or a specific manufacturer like Lee Valley, perhaps? Also
To be sure i have the color code straight Gray compound is at .5 microns and white(?) Is at 1 micron?
I saw green is listed at around 600 which jibes with what i have seen it listed at when advertised for sale on some sites.... and
Any info on what abrasives are in the finer compounds would also be appreciated
Thanks guys

I was thinking maybe it would be easier if manufacturers were to list the average scratch size left by a particular stone... but i suppose they would need to say which steel at what rockwell hardness it left those scratches on?

Wicked Edge is now selling 1500, 2200 and 3000 grit diamond stones.
The knivesandtools.com website rates them as similar to a Japanese 3000, 6000 and 8000 grain size.
But what will they be in terms of microns?
My guess is 4.5, 2 and 1.2 Micron, but I'm no expert...

Last edited:
Since some folks have recommended Congress Tools's "Moldmaster" stones for the Edge Pro, I contacted them and asked about their stones. Their response:

Dear Patrick,
Thanks for your inquiry. Approx. micron size for grits follows:
150 grit - 100 micron
240 grit - 60 micron
320 grit - 45 micron
400 grit - 40 micron
600 grit - 30 micron
Our stones are manufactured for industrial applications, so we do not have much knowledge concerning knife sharpening applications. I understand that our stones have been recommended on several blogs and articles, and we have received many orders for our MoldMaster and Ruby stones in the coarser grits for initial rough cut and our FLEX stone in 400 or 600 grit for a finishing stone.
Best regards,
CONGRESS TOOLS, Inc.
Mark Froelick

I also wrote to Congress Tools however I asked which grading standard they used and Mark Froelick replied: "Our stone grit is based on the ANSI standard."

Different measurement methods of the same particles will result in different values but by the modern electrical resistance method in ANSI B74.10 these grit numbers translate to median particle size (d50) as follows:

150 grit: 63 ~ 107 micron (a B74.12 sieve grade)
240 grit: 47 ~ 53 micron
320 grit: 27 ~ 32 micron
400 grit: 16.5 ~ 20 micron
600 grit: 9.2 ~ 11.9 micron

More at https://uama.org/abrasives-101/

Edge Pro is know selling diamond matrix stones and they list the micron size on their page, if you want to add those.

I've updated the chart with the EdgePro values, I kind of lost track of this project for... eh.. about three years. Working on catching up again! lol
thank you, sir! I still use it when looking for stones. I noticed that the Edge Pro 400 grit stone is missing now, though. I also noticed that Edge Pro has a crossover chart that doesn't make much sense.

Their chart:
EP 400 ---> Shapton 2000 (7.35µ)
EP 600 ---> Shapton 5000 (2.94µ)
EP 1000 --> Shapton 8000 (1.84µ)

However, the grit chart shows EP 600 to be 10µ, so I'm a bit confused.

Last edited:
I'm honestly not sure, I've always had a challenge pinning down actual values for the EdgePro stones. I keep finding totally different values for them.

I'm honestly not sure, I've always had a challenge pinning down actual values for the EdgePro stones. I keep finding totally different values for them.
I want to eventually swap the EP stones out for Shapton Glass or maybe their new diamond ones. I may have to accelerate my plans.

Back