1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

The Grand Unified Grit Chart

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Komitadjie, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Chris "Anagarika"

Chris "Anagarika"

Mar 7, 2001
    Used to work, today it's gone too?

Anyone has an offline version?

2. bluntcut

bluntcut KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 28, 2012
    A scanned copy of 2012 version...
    ... removed ...
    I will remove this pic, once the official version:thumbup: is back online.

Edit: removed link to old version

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  3. Claes

Claes

Jan 20, 2006
    Thank you!
    /Claes

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  4. Llasi

Llasi Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Error, sorry.

5. Chris "Anagarika"

Chris "Anagarika"

Mar 7, 2001
    Luong,

Thanks!

6. Claes

Claes

Jan 20, 2006
    I just noticed that the link in post #1
    works again. Thank you!

/Claes

7. RedFury

RedFury

Jun 17, 2015
    Good grief. I was using sandpaper back in the 1970's first in Furniture making and then in auto body shop. I thought 100 grit was 100 grit and as the number got bigger the grit got finer. Sure is not so simple anymore.

8. vanadium

vanadium Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 5, 2003
  9. Ed1955

Ed1955

Jul 10, 2016
    What about the Russian conversion to grit and microns? A lot of us now own the Tech Profile systems and some of their stones are not marked?
    I know I've seen it here but can't remember where.
    Respectfully,
    Ed1955

10. esurm

esurm

Jun 12, 2011
    The Russian stones are marked in microns with 2 numbers like 50/40 or 20/14 etc. The numbers are the high and low numbers and the grit in those stones is between those 2 sizes so there is not an exact number for them, it is approximate. Take those numbers and look up the micron size and what ever grit conversion you want.

11. Ed1955

Ed1955

Jul 10, 2016
    Thanks so much!

12. Komitadjie

Komitadjie

May 31, 2011
    Updated the chart with Rupert's assistance to include the Spyderco diamond rods, using information from the Spyderco forums.

13. cbwx34

cbwx34

Dec 27, 2004
    You mean, the same info you got.... in 2012?:rolleyes: :D

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  14. Hytekrednek

Hytekrednek

Jun 8, 2017
    how can i print this chart? Any chance I can get a PDF emailed to me?

15. cbwx34

cbwx34

Dec 27, 2004
    Just open it in Google docs.... then click on File... Download as... and there's an option to save it as PDF (among others).

Hytekrednek likes this.
  16. Hytekrednek

Hytekrednek

Jun 8, 2017
    Thank you. I got it printed.

17. adamlau

adamlau

Oct 13, 2002
    From where are the JIS values obtained? Neither JIS R 6001:1987 nor JIS R 6001:1998 reflect what is described in the unified chart....

18. Willky1

Willky1

Jul 10, 2014
    I know this will tip my hand as a noob, but would it be possible to add a legend or key to the Google Doc that explained what the abbreviations mean? I read through this thread and tried to search a couple of these, and didn't have much luck finding explanations for all the abbreviations (i.e. ANIS). However, even with my inexperience, this chart has answered a ton of questions I've had so far. Thanks so much for everyone's work putting this info together!

19. adamlau

adamlau

Oct 13, 2002
    You searched the word ansi and was not able to discern that it references a standard?

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  20. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008