Photos The Grimalkin Lives!

Hard to say exactly 'cause these things have a way of drawing themselves out longer than one would initially anticipate, but I have a manufacturing partner all lined up for it and just need to earmark some capital for it, then we'll be off to the races. Black Richlite would be the most economical choice, but I'm thinking a light brown would be nice--the black locust scales looked nicer with it than I had anticipated.

please, if possible could you do the black locust without any coating or resin or anything? It's a fairly tough and heavy wood all on it's own, and personally, I'd only use a bit of pure tung oil on it. No need for any sort of epoxy or resin or some other stabilizer imho

Nope. I don't have the sourcing or logistics to have scales made out black locust on a production basis. I made those ones by hand as a test of concept. The scales will be contracted out of house, and black locust isn't a common commercially harvested wood. So there'd be a number of complicating factors that makes that unfeasible, at least at this point in time. But you could easily make some yourself. We have fasteners on hand that you could use, or you can supply your own. The holes and slots are sized to work with the #10-24 machine screws and self-clinching fasteners we're using or with common Corby bolts for a permanent option.

An outgoing batch. :)

56464279_10218209290612155_4675042017313554432_o.jpg

In for one!

edit*
Are micarta scales planned or should I get started now, lol?

Last edited:
In for one!

edit*
Are micarta scales planned or should I get started now, lol?

The scales we'll be having done in Richlite are essentially a paper micarta. But if you mean canvas micarta then we may offer them eventually and have some potential manufacturing partners lined up for that, but it won't be for a while compared to the initial offering. You'd almost certainly be able to get around to self-fabricating some before we'd be ready to offer canvas micarta scales ourselves.

The scales we'll be having done in Richlite are essentially a paper micarta. But if you mean canvas micarta then we may offer them eventually and have some potential manufacturing partners lined up for that, but it won't be for a while compared to the initial offering. You'd almost certainly be able to get around to self-fabricating some before we'd be ready to offer canvas micarta scales ourselves.

Yea, I meant a canvas or linen micarta. For some reason I never think of paper micarta or Richlite when I think of micarta... Really I guess I should be calling them phenolic resins since Micarta is just a brand name.

I think this is going to be great in my light hiking pack after I wrap it in some Fire Cord.

Mine arrived today, and first impressions are good. I like it a bunch, it feels very, very similar to my current favorite fixed blade for pocket carry, a Perrin Le Bowie neck knife, but with a more standard handle shape that doesn't have the deep index finger choil. It feels thinner behind the edge than the Le Bowie, too.

It's nice and rounded out all over, and feels very well made.

The sheath is an ultra-simple affair, and my first thought was that I liked the knife enough that maybe I should have a minimalist kydex taco sheath like the one the Le Bowie comes with made for it, but the blade is so similar that when I tried it the Le Bowie sheath fits it very well, even with decent retention.

I'm going to try carrying it in place of the Le Bowie some and see how it works out for my purposes.

Very nice simple design! Very well done, FortyTwoBlades FortyTwoBlades !! I had to place an order myself! Seems like a very nice, simple piece of kit, definitely something you'd want to have along on an outdoors trip.

Sweet design. I like it a lot. If you ever offer one with a slightly longer handle, I’m down. I’m all too familiar with where my handle comfort level is, and this is a bit too short for me.

My Grimalkin came the other day. The mini Skrama came a few days ago so I have had time to mess with it a bit: a piece of bicycle tube over the bare tang, a little elastic fob, and a pocket sheath made from a cut up yogurt tub and some Gorilla tape.

I had already ordered the Skrama when I first read about the Grimalkin, and thought it might be fun to look at two approaches to the same issue. No conclusions as of yet. I haven’t had either long enough to cut anything except some paper, or even to take some decent pics.

As you can see, the Skrama is quite a bit bigger, at 7 1/4” compared with a hair under 6” for the Grimalkin. The Izula falls about halfway between them at 6 1/2”. ( I don’t have one; I looked it up.) the Skrama offers a four-finger grip, barely. I doubt I would ever hold it that way in actual use. The Grimalkin is a three-finger proposition. The long thumb ramp does not quite dictate the grip, but it does offer a strong suggestion.
F95DC286-150E-4111-89C2-9942E80CD3BF.jpeg28ABDF84-C9CE-41A3-A78F-B719C3275C02.jpeg14D6BCEE-A5F4-4BCF-9476-0A8B2F16ED97.jpeg

Back