1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 21 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Megatherium!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives Megatherium, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, May 25; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Photos The Grimalkin Lives!

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by FortyTwoBlades, Apr 5, 2019.

1. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    I may have a larger version produced in the future, but the handle is designed to nest in the hollow of the palm, and choking up on the blade in various ways is encouraged. The pinky is used in some grips as a stop for the hand, or the butt of the handle is nestled in the palm for point work with the index finger extended. It's a bit different than most short-handled neck knives. :)

Quiet likes this.
  2. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Will we receive tracking for the order when it ships or will the knife just show up?

3. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    You'll get an automated email with your tracking number when the shipping label is printed. It'll be coming from PayPal, so sometimes people's spam filters catch them by accident. We're dealing with a pretty significant queue right now, so I've barely even had time to keep up with things here. Back to work for me! :)

Fixall likes this.
  4. Fixall

Mar 26, 2018
    That's what I like to hear. :)

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  5. Old Biker

Old Biker

Sep 25, 2016
    A set of custom scales and you can have any handle length you want. There is no reason the handle has to be the exact shape and size of the existing tang.

O.B.

David Richardson likes this.
  6. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    But, but, but then it wouldn’t be a FULL TANG knife.

Rykjeklut likes this.
  7. Old Biker

Old Biker

Sep 25, 2016
    :D:D

8. Fixall

Mar 26, 2018
    Looks like mine will be here on Monday. :D

9. Old Biker

Old Biker

Sep 25, 2016
    Here is my version with a four finger grip. I used Black Locust for the scales, and black Walnut for the spacer and pins. I'll give it a few days for the epoxy to fully cure, then I'll put a finish on it. The colors of the wood should pop quite a bit better then

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

O.B.

CasePeanut, Henry Beige, dirc and 2 others like this.
  10. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    Very nice! Can't wait to see how it looks when finished!

11. JohnWE

JohnWE Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 7, 2013
    Mine arrived safe and sound. Great little knife! And thanks for the bonus.

Planning on adding some nice wooden scales to it once I get my workshop out of boxes.

Thanks again.

12. Old Biker

Old Biker

Sep 25, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here it is with three coats of clear gloss polycrylic finish. @ FortyTwoBlades, you did a great job designing this blade. I really like how it feals in my hand.

O.B.

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 2:37 PM
  13. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    Why is it afraid of your hand? :confused: ;)

14. kwackster

kwackster

Dec 23, 2005
    That Grimalkin looks somewhat like the skeletonized lovechild of a Marble's Woodcraft (the general blade shape) & a Dall Deweese knife (the short handle concept), with a bit of extra ergonomics thrown in for good measure.

I would probably hand reground the blade into a full convex zero edge with a Kephart mod, file the swedge to a nice scraper, and put on some natural or green canvas Micarta handles.
    Just thinking out loud of course :)

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 12:28 PM
  15. Hairy Clipper

Hairy Clipper Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Reading this thread forced me to order one a couple of days ago! I am now eagerly looking for the tracking number and the excitement package delivery brings to old men.

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 10:40 AM
  16. USMCPOP

USMCPOP

Jan 6, 2016
    ???

[​IMG]