Off Topic The Hand Tool thread

Got the beast mounted and in a thanksgiving miracle it un-froze itself and spins with one finger. Hoping y'all are stuffed more than the turkey.:D
IMG-0926.jpg

Got the beast mounted and in a thanksgiving miracle it un-froze itself and spins with one finger. Hoping y'all are stuffed more than the turkey.:D
IMG-0926.jpg
that's a jeep truck right? i jad the option to get one of those but it needed a transmission swap, it had it but i didnt want to pull the trigger because i was concerned over parts rarity

We always called IH's "corn binders", no matter what kind of vehicle. Dad had a big 4x4, four door, long bed thing on the ranch. Posi all the way around. It was an impressive rig. Fit five guys easy and a lode of salt blocks to boot. But when ever you took it for any distance you made sure both gas tanks were topped off.

Bigger than it looks! Your hand for scale helps. Like like it would still work with a little oil.

I had no idea the true size until I went the other night to pick it up. The pictures truely dont do it justice for the scale of its size.
I agree and hope to clear the bench, clean&evaluate, lube, lay out the bench a little different and see if I can mount it for use. Get better pictures hopefully.

Attempting a little creative rehang today for the Dunn Edge Tool boys Head on a vintage Collins boys haft.

I just picked up a Shinto Saw Rasp (new):

TheChairShapingArmsBackPart1_html_m155cbb8c.jpg

- has two sides, a coarse and a finer one (^ is a promotional photo, not mine). I was intrigued by the concept, and by the idea of not having to clean up cloggings, as often at least. I intend to use it mainly for thinning handles.

Last edited:
I just picked up a Shinto Saw Rasp (new):

TheChairShapingArmsBackPart1_html_m155cbb8c.jpg

- has two sides, a coarse and a finer one (^ is a promotional photo, not mine). I was intrigued by the concept, and by the idea of not having to clean up cloggings, as often at least. I intend to use it mainly for thinning handles.
i'v dropped a few hints and i'm hoping to find one in a certain large sock hanging over a fire place

how's it cut so far?

i'v seen people use these on aluminum and softer steel, they're essentially hacksaw blades so i guess it works

i'v dropped a few hints and i'm hoping to find one in a certain large sock hanging over a fire place

how's it cut so far?

i'v seen people use these on aluminum and softer steel, they're essentially hacksaw blades so i guess it works

As Square_peg said, socks and files mix well, so I'd expect rasps to do the same :).

Yes, the manufacturer says they can be used on soft metals as well.

Haven't had a chance to try it yet. Hopefully it's as good as the Youtube demos :). They seem to be popular with guitar makers, so I have some good expectations.

bhJHKDL.jpg

sorry about the lighting, this was a quick pic,

let's have a little trivia, anybody know what these 2 parts are to?

i'll post the full tool later as i clean it

Two! I only see one dovetailed slide-in part of a large metalworking? machine. Does that get me any points?

Well it's not large but it is used for netal working, that block on the left is the second part, it's an adjuster

Atkin's saw set slide stake and raker gauge! Now what does all that mean and what does it do?

Atkin's saw set slide stake and raker gauge! Now what does all that mean and what does it do?
ok so saws need set in order not to bind in the cut, there's 2 jutting structures on the other side that let it act like a see-saw, the amount that see-saw moves up and down will measure how each saw tooth is bent. the stake section lies flat across the plate of the saw, using the narrow tip as an anvil to bend each tip with a hammer blow

Back