Off Topic The Hand Tool thread

I dont know much about planes but thought this to be a nice treasure.
It might be a little while till I get to cleaning but I wanted to post before I forget about and rediscover it in a drawer I place it in to not forget...

1541018925818547532817166015404.jpg

20181031-164922.jpg

20181031-164926.jpg

20181031-164942.jpg

Very nice number 5! Looks like a type 11! 1900-1915 (or something like that). I love finding them just like that! Rusty with a little dirt/sand mixed in, that rust will come off way easier than you think because of that dirt! Plenty of iron left on her too! Nice score!!

Here's a FREE 100-125lb 6 inch jawed vise. It works but its rusty and has a chunk out of the guide. The 4th pic is from the back of the guide to the tip of the screw end. Just for fun I took some pics of it with my other bench vises. I guess vises are one of my vices.:D The top is a 3.5 inch jaw Littlestown my dad "gave" me (he just doesn't know it yet) and the middle is a "Monkey" Ward's anvil vise no 117. It was a definite strain on my bench's holding capacity.
IMG-0826.jpg
IMG-0821.jpg
IMG-0817.jpg
IMG-0819.jpg
IMG-0816.jpg
IMG-0815.jpg
IMG-0813.jpg
IMG-0811.jpg

I don't think it's a float. It looks like a "soft metal" file. A float has straight teeth, not curved ones.

I don't think it's a float. It looks like a "soft metal" file. A float has straight teeth, not curved ones.

Yes, I thought that. It's much more like a car body file for "lead loading", from when lead was used as a filler. Another style was flexible with a turnbuckle on the back or the holder for use on curves. Maybe.....

Not familiar with any floats that have teeth? There are probably many tools I am not at all familiar with though.

Yes, I thought that. It's much more like a car body file for "lead loading", from when lead was used as a filler. Another style was flexible with a turnbuckle on the back or the holder for use on curves. Maybe.....
The file it's self is like any file, hard, stiff and not at all flexible.
Here is one of my handles. It's an old Plomb, a company that made many tools for the automotive industry. There is a swivel on both ends of the rod. The sole is spring steel so this could possibly accommodate a file with some bend in it. I have not seen any curved files but I have not looked either. The extra weight of this handle aids in it's use. These files are very much like the newer Iwasaki carvers files.

That is an automotive lead loading file/rasp, are you sure there isn't any flex in the file?

And a 27" London pattern screwdriver.

mCmf9YD.jpg

Obviously for precision work ;) . Sadly can't make out the mark & date.
And a beauty it is. I could find a use for that on occasion.

As far as flex you can get some. But it is very slight.

Here's a FREE 100-125lb 6 inch jawed vise. It works but its rusty and has a chunk out of the guide. The 4th pic is from the back of the guide to the tip of the screw end. Just for fun I took some pics of it with my other bench vises. I guess vises are one of my vices.:D The top is a 3.5 inch jaw Littlestown my dad "gave" me (he just doesn't know it yet) and the middle is a "Monkey" Ward's anvil vise no 117. It was a definite strain on my bench's holding capacity.
IMG-0826.jpg
IMG-0821.jpg
IMG-0817.jpg
IMG-0819.jpg
IMG-0816.jpg
IMG-0815.jpg
IMG-0813.jpg
IMG-0811.jpg

Now THAT'S a vise!

An update on THAT vise. Turns out the screw was rusted solid. It took 1/2 a can of 3in1 spray lube and a 4lb sledge to bust it loose. It's still so stiff I'll have to finish unscrewing it with a hammer and clean the threads very well. Moving it around and holding it still is a royal pain.
Ps. The anvil it's on is a 100lber + or - for scale.

I think mine's beech. It has medullary? rays and is fairly hard. That kit has the exact same parts as mine.

Back