The HEST folder. (production model)

I'm going to give my HONEST opinion on this knife. I'm not trying to start a war here guys so please take it easy on me. First off I think it's an amazing knife and also a great design. I can honestly say I love the knife. I happen to have one with very good fit and finish and lockup is solid as a rock. But for all these people who have issues with theirs I'm very sorry. For starters I think a lot of owners of this knife need to give the lock time to break in and mate to the blade surface then judge lockup. I PERSONALLY think there is only ONE flaw (not in all the knives) in the knife or knives and that is that the tang of the blade where it meets the lockbar tends to be a rather steep incline. That steep angle seems to be the root of all the lockup problems people are having. Like I said mine however is totally solid and can only see the lockup getting better with time as the lockbar moves over with use/time etc. Ad far ad the exposed tip problem certain models had from what I have heard that issue has been fixed (easy fix at that). Honestly the lock failing problem due to the grind on the tang really isn't that big of a deal in retrospect. I personally don't think that dpx/ryp/lionsteel deserve all the hateful comments and flack their getting for this knife (late shipment being another issue.) I mean seriously a steep grind on a knife's lockup area is an easy fix that can be remedied quickly. Again this is just MY OPINION so pleas don't bash the thread. I'm not trying to anger anyone.Another thing is that a lot of people I see with this lock failure are opening the knife very slowly until it clicks locked then sitting there trying to make it fail over and over there are PLENTY of knives that would fail that test. Open the knife firmly like you would if you intended hard use and I believe alot of these lock failures wouldn't happen. Either way I'm completely satisfied with the knife/design especially at it's pricepoint.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what your point is. Either the lock works or it doesn't. If it doesn't then the purchaser didn't get what he paid for. I wouldn't call a faulty lock "not that big a deal'"

If it's an easy fix then they should fix it. If the repaired or replaced knives coming back are any indication then they haven't done that.

I'm pleased that you got a good one. I didn't, lots of other folks didn't. Heck, some even got a bad one twice. DPx/Lionsteel still apparently thinks that there is no problem.

Can you honestly say that doesn't call for some grumbling from the purchasers?

All I'm saying is the faulty lock is due to that angle that's all. To ME not a big deal. But your right if the lock fails it fails. I just don't think all the harsh words/postings people are posting is necessary. That's my opinion again. But as you said I can see why people are upset and that's ok they have a right to be. But all this going on and on just isn't necessary again that's just my opinion. Your also right if they are not fixing the knives thats another issue that's unacceptable. Especially seeing how simple the fix is. I'm maily talking about the people satin the whole design of the knife is off and it's totally horrible etc etc well that's just not true in MY eyes.

Also I'm seeing (Youtube) people open the knife extremely slow until it clicks locked then sitting there trying to make it fail and it does. Honestly you could take many NEW framelock/liner locks and do this and they too would fail. give the lockbar some time to mate to the blade and work it's way in and this won't be a problem anymore. Again I'm no expert this is just my thought/experience.

Mine works. Yeah, the first time i locked it and put enough pressure on the spine it failed, but after using it for a few weeks the lockup is solid. I don't know what all the fuss is about. I bought one, I like it. If you don't like it, don't buy it. There is nothing wrong with the lock, if you use it often enough to break it in. I think part of the problem is people saying "Hey, the knife you advertised to be a hard use survival knife didn't come as perfect as my 'gentleman's sebenza'." (i have absolutely nothing against the sebenza). And yes, i can understand if you got a lemon. maybe even two. But that's the fault of lionsteel, and I'm sure they can fix it. Its a new company, give them a chance. Maybe they'll make some cool stuff, maybe they wont and i got lucky with my purchase. Thats just my opinion.

~Robert

THANK YOU Robert! That's exactly what I'm saying let the lock break in!! Yea I think they are wonderful knives.

Although I'm sure some did come with legit lock up issues. Others tho people just need to break in.

No.

I've seen it both ways. Both where the knife initially had solid lockup, and then started to slide after a few weeks. I've also seen the lock slip, right out of the box.

Opened HARD, opened soft, doesnt matter. Increased use and "break in" just caused the lock to get worse and worse on mine.

If the steep angle is the "only" issue in your opinion, thats OK. In MY opinion, it is a major flaw and a possible reason as to why so many have had issues.

I am glad that your knife is working for you, but being that it is new, and you have zero experience with what happens to the knives after use, perhaps you should refrain from assuming that anyones problems come from not "breaking them in".

Let us know how your knife holds up after a while of hard use.

What about user Robert? His experience of hard use for a few weeks resulted in tighter lockup? Maybe mine won't maybe it will. I'm betting it will.

But I'm not ever going to agree the design of this knife is flawed and EVERY Single knife is doomed that's ridiculous. Again JUST MY OPINION.

there are PLENTY of knives that would fail that test.

Wrong.
I have, and have had many frame-locks, including some which only cost $30, and NONE of them did that.
There's no excuse, it's just a flaw in the design.

Stabman, I've seen a few framelocks do this when they're new. Not many, my brother has a kershaw framelock (not sure which one) that still does this, the SS lockbar is slick and i haven't had a chance to try and fix it. All I'm saying is the titanium is softer than the steel used for the blade, so it breaks in quite nicely. I have zero issues with mine now that it's been opened and closed a few hundred times. There isn't anything 'wrong' with the design, and even if you aren't comfortable with your lockup there is the lockbar lock that you can engage, and then the lockbar can't go anywhere. It's a solid knife in my opinion, if you get a decent one from the factory. (the whole rushing the product and people getting ones that were to hard to open, ect. is another issue entirely)

~Robert

Robert yes I have too. And like you said almost always is a new knife. It is NOT that uncommon. I too have had my fair share of frame locks. I will however agree like I said some of these hest's do have a design flaw in that blade tang but NOT all.

Mine works. Yeah, the first time i locked it and put enough pressure on the spine it failed, but after using it for a few weeks the lockup is solid. I don't know what all the fuss is about. I bought one, I like it. If you don't like it, don't buy it. There is nothing wrong with the lock, if you use it often enough to break it in. I think part of the problem is people saying "Hey, the knife you advertised to be a hard use survival knife didn't come as perfect as my 'gentleman's sebenza'." (i have absolutely nothing against the sebenza). And yes, i can understand if you got a lemon. maybe even two. But that's the fault of lionsteel, and I'm sure they can fix it. Its a new company, give them a chance. Maybe they'll make some cool stuff, maybe they wont and i got lucky with my purchase. Thats just my opinion.

~Robert

Sebenzas may be "gentleman"s folders for some, but they are by NO means weak. The only thing that the HEST folder has on the Sebenza is the blade thickness, and it doesnt exactly slice like a Sebenza.

And, Lionsteel is FAR from a "new" company.

What about user Robert? His experience of hard use for a few weeks resulted in tighter lockup? Maybe mine won't maybe it will. I'm betting it will.

I hope it does. Keep us posted.

But I'm not ever going to agree the design of this knife is flawed and EVERY Single knife is doomed that's ridiculous. Again JUST MY OPINION.

Every single one I have handled has been the same...and that count is up to 3 now.

but they are by NO means weak

Yes, I know. I've wanted a sebenza for a while now. I just meant that some people bought a hest folder, opened it, and preceded to complain that they didn't meet there expectation. I'm sure a sebenza is worth every penny, and I'll get one eventually.

And, Lionsteel is FAR from a "new" company.

I meant its the first time RYP has tried to design a knife. I know Lionsteel shouldn't really be excused for the poor fit and finish.

Sorry you haven't been able to find a good one. They seem to be few and far between, unfortunately.

~Robert

Tripton are you trying to find a good one? Just curious. I too hope you can find a solid one or have it fixed.

I bought an LE and a production, right off the bat. Both had lock slide after slight use. Sent them back, got a production back, had lock slide right out of the box. It will be going back eventually. I still carry it occasionally and carefully use it, but if anything, it gets worse.

Waiting for the LE to return, and I am hoping that it is fixed. If it isnt, I will (unfortunately) probably return it. I am excited to hear about the changes to the second run, and am hoping that my knives will get these improvements.

I still see a great deal of potential in the knife, and really enjoyed carrying them when they were working properly. I feel I am giving them as much a chance as possible to work the kinks out, and I understand that there can be some growing pains upon startup.

In the meantime, I am really loving the M4 Manix that I got last week.

I'm one of those that got two lemons in a row. To me it seems that it is a design flaw, I have played with mine and if I apply a little bit of pressure the blade clicks when moved up and down. I'm quite scared to use the thing as heavily as the design seems to have been made for....DPx must me credited here though. Their customer service is rather good despite all the hiccups I've been having with my blades. They have a couple newer productions that came out a little while back, same blueprints as the first design but I've been told that they were under scrutiny. I am waiting for their fixed blade or the second production of the folder, whichever comes first, to exchange the one I currently have...I cannot bring myself to trust it despite loving the design

Man I'm sorry to hear that. I wish both of you got one like mine. It's very very solid I will report back and keep you all updated.

Back