The History of Himalayan Imports

There are some things that cannot be repaired, fixed or conform to a 'right' way of thinking. This is a natural cycle, good or bad it's Nepal's karma, but realize we are witnessing the end of the true kamis. The end for khukris untouched by the tools we think would save them.

------------------
JP

In the "I will fight no more forever thread"
Ken Cook's comments ( on the fires of youth being banked to a small hot coal as we gain wisdom, kept for a time we hope is not needed ) come to mind.

While working for a native american tribe I remember a tribal member asking the chairman about the current "politically correct" phrase our government uses to justify it's policies. He asked "What about self-determination?" The Tribal Chairman's response: "You mean self-extermination."

That was his ( the chairman's ) battle. I'd already learned that the over five hundred abuse investigations I'd done still didn't change the world. Nepal, Indian Reservations, the State Courts, the fight must go on, but we learn to choose our battles more carefully. The world is as it is. Change what we can. Accept the rest until there is opportunity. Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est ( where there is charity and love, there is God ).

If Bill makes a small difference, it is still a difference. One that is emphatically worth it. Wait your time and then go for the throat , or pass the glowing ember on if you can.

------------------
Russ S

One thing to consider when you are talking about shop upgrades is that the kamis might not necessarily want to upgrade. While anyone starting out would probably not have a problem if you were to approach a master craftsmen with 35+ years of experience and say "you know there are better ways to do that" you are not going to get an overly positive response.

This is entirely dependent on the personality and while some people are always on the lookout for easier ways to do something, there are others that consider even the unpleasant tasks very important to the end product. For example if you were to simply provide the kamis with steel stock instead of having them go out and get it, some of them might consider khukuris made from it to be "lesser" as they were not personally part of the selection process.

Now I don't know the kamis, but I have know quite a few craftsmen who thought like that. What may seem quite odd to you could be quite natural to another.

-Cliff

Cliff, I can tell you grew up among people who did handcrafted things. I know some of the old timers would resist using any "new fangled equipment" just as I resisted getting this computer which ended up giving me a bleeding ulcer.

Some things are better left unsaid and I believe some things are better left undone.

Bill

Cliff, they're not able to attract the next generation into the trade. That speaks volumes. Kevin McClung has lots higher odds of getting his kids into knifemaking due to general working conditions.

I can't see how they'd actually *want* to use grinding wheels powered by 10-yr-old kids on half a bicycle with a lash-up transmission to a grindstone older than they are. "Low-tech and traditional" doesn't equal "stupid".

Jim March

Back