THE Hollow Handle Knife Thread

Hi folks. My first post here. I fell across this forum and particular thread searching for Lile-style survival knives (safe bet I'm not the first :)

I've read most of the thread (it sure does get interesting around the middle number of posts), had some honest-to-goodness laughs along the way, and read a tonne of interesting discussions, reviews, etc. What a great resource!

Like many (I assume) I'm in mid-late 40s and had a love affair with survival knives as a mid-80's 12 year old. I had my el-cheapo hollow-handle (in fact, I think I might still have it in a box someplace) that wouldn't hold an edge, but I loved it. I loved it up until I was at a gun show with my dad in 86 or so and one of my buddies said, "Have you seen the Buckmaster? It's like 150 dollars but it's so cool!" And wow, it was so cool - especially compared with my 20 dollar POS, which of course looked like the POS it was after seeing that incredible Buck. Anyway, about 5 years ago, during a phase of reliving some youthful memories, I finally picked up a Buckmaster - in really great condition - and doing that started to rekindle my interest in edged weapons. In fact, I recently ordered a Greg Wall mid-size First Blood, and hope to receive it sometime in mid spring or so.

All said, I hope to see more posts on this excellent thread. Cheers!

Last edited:
Welcome to BladeForums, L LMacD ! The Buckmaster gets a lot of love around here. An iconic knife for sure. Free feel to post photos of it and your new Greg Wall knife when it arrives. Love to see them both! :thumbsup:

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! I will be sure to do that :) I have noticed that the Buckmaster is well received, which was great to see as I really do love it. Cheers!

Welcome to BladeForums, L LMacD ! The Buckmaster gets a lot of love around here. An iconic knife for sure. Free feel to post photos of it and your new Greg Wall knife when it arrives. Love to see them both! :thumbsup:
I second the motion.

W1ASNQu
W1ASNQu.jpg
Wow, that image came out huge...not sure if that's bad form?? Sorry if it is. I'm only on one other forum (archery talk) which allows for images to be posted directly, so I'm new to the IMGUR thing. BTW: I have the hooks for the Buckmaster, but don't use them. They do look cooler, but I carry this with me most days and it's much more functional without those. My family and I live in the low mountains in Cantley, Quebec, just north of Ottawa, and my pup and I do a lot of walking / hiking in this area. I feel a bit more secure with this on my hip. What I'm mostly saying is I like having an excuse to carry this, haha...

Last edited:
I'm also working on getting my wife to agree that buying a genuine Lile makes sense. It's an uphill battle...but showing signs of improvement :)

Last edited:
Reactions: TAH
L LMacD - Your photo size is fine. Those Buckmasters have great lines and yours is in beautiful condition. Thanks for the photo! As for your wife agreeing to buy a Lile, just make her watch First Blood several times and you'll both end up with one. :)

TAH TAH Thanks so much. I'm really happy with the Buckmaster and even happier I picked it up just before the prices really started to get steep.

First Blood is one of my all time faves. I'm pretty sure my wife has seen it 6 times by now, but that's no reason to avoid watching it again - and soon. I like that strategy :)

Reactions: TAH
TAH TAH . Yes to the anchor pins and lanyard ring but no to the compass. The ring is turned in the photo because I had just loosened the end cap but didn’t notice it until just before resheathing the knife. I love how the knife looks with the pins installed but the top one is a bit obtrusive which is the main reason I don’t have them in.

Another knife that has *really* caught my eye is the Wilson M9. I love the idea of a more traditional clip area in that style of knife and it would be fun to have that option on hand along with the Wall First Blood (...and who knows what else?). More fun stuff to mess with :)

And here I was thinking knives would be a less expensive diversion from archery and music, haha...gotta love it.

Hey guys. I haven't been here in a few years..I poke my head in every now and again. I see Sam is still killing it, and my God those beautiful 1911 knives... sooo nice! Not much else going on here lately? I do love seeing a buckmaster 184 on the page as often as possible! You can buy a silva type 12 replacement compass. And if you want a original pommel compass I have them. Sorry trying to fit everything in one paragraph

It’s nice to see the Apparo (sp?) alongside the 184. I was having trouble gauging the size of the former. It seems a bit smaller when shown without something to use as a reference.

Didn't Bianchi have the exact same design? Literally the same knife rebranded. Correct me if I'm wrong... I usually am (according to wife)

Back