The "Honorable" D.E. Henry

"D.E. Henry one of the best bowie makers of all time, Henry did his homework in addition to being a near flawless craftsman. Henry had a blunt (to say the least) personality that at one time prompted a show promoter to pull a gun on him for the way Henry was speaking to the promoter's wife. Another collector once parked his car at the front entrance of the California Custom Knife Show with the bumpersticker, "Will Roger's never met D.E. Henry". One of Henry's customers once told him he had some of the ivory bowies in from his collection scrimshawed- and Henry told him he would never sell him another bowie because he had desecrated the bowies. And Henry never did sell him another bowie. Having said that bear in mind that his personality did not prevent him from making some of the finest, and most desireable handmade bowies ever made in the modern era."

..this excerpt taken from Bruce Voyles auction catalog #40.

I can't help but think D.E. Henry wouldn't last a week from getting banned here on these forums. Which, can't help, gives me a chuckle.

He sounds like he was an uncompromising guy. I don't know how much of the reputation is due to this versus true rudeness.

He was a dick!!!!!!!

I think STeven would have liked him.............

A great story.......

The long time Bob Loveless heat treater, Billy Holt, had Mr Henry make him a bowie that he was going to have engraved........after DE had made all the parts and delivered them to Bill, he decided, like the post above, that his knives should not be touched by any one but him, and told Mr Holt such.

For many years Bill Holt had the parts on his table displayed as "DE HENRY Kit Knife" :D

ddd

Seems to be quite a character according to these stories (legends?) but
from his Bowies that I have seen, he does make an amazing knife.......

All the best,
David Darom (ddd)

Kohai999

Second Degree Cutter
He was a dick!!!!!!!

I think STeven would have liked him.............:D

He made great knives, Lobred has a couple, and they are superb.

IF he had dropped his "schtick" and been cool, I would have liked him...if he kept up the usual SOP, there is a very good chance that I would have smacked him in the face with a chair.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Haha! .. I guess he has been gone from the scene for a long while now?

This reminds me too, about a story Ed Fowler related to me. (not about D.E.Henry, but something Funny that happened at a knife Show many years ago)

Ed Fowler and Bob Loveless were in a conversation when a new maker approached and interrupted Bob and Ed, trying to get Bob Loveless to tell him what he thought of a knife he had just made- handing it over to him.. Bob, (without skipping a beat) very casually tossed it into a nearby trashcan and resumed his conversation w/ Ed.

(Ed can say if my details weren't exact.. just what i remember)
David

Kohai999

Second Degree Cutter
Ed Fowler and Bob Loveless were in a conversation when a new maker approached and interrupted Bob and Ed, trying to get Bob Loveless to tell him what he thought of a knife he had just made- handing it over to him.. Bob, (without skipping a beat) very casually tossed it into a nearby trashcan and resumed his conversation w/ Ed.

David

Loveless HATES to be interrupted in a conversation.....I did it the first time I met him and he was a TOTAL dick about it.......a few years later, I was talking to him at the AKI, and he freaked out on his WIFE for interrupting us in a conversation.

Bob has always been his own person.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Haha! .. I guess he has been gone from the scene for a long while now?

This reminds me too, about a story Ed Fowler related to me. (not about D.E.Henry, but something Funny that happened at a knife Show many years ago)

(Ed can say if my details weren't exact.. just what i remember)
David

I've spent a few hours talking with Bob and man, is that story funny. :D

If you're lucky enough to meet him, he's a man without compromise, speaks his mind and isn't afraid of beating you down if you deserve it. He's also an incredibly honest and articulate individual, a thinker (who makes you think) and throws out curse words like regular conversation.

I have the highest respect and admiration for the guy! :thumbup:

He made great knives, Lobred has a couple, and they are superb.

IF he had dropped his "schtick" and been cool, I would have liked him...if he kept up the usual SOP, there is a very good chance that I would have smacked him in the face with a chair.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

I love it. Steven would have been walking around the show all proud of himself for whacking Henry in the face with a chair.
I wonder how long the grin on his face would last after he realized the same chair was sticking out of his Ass! :p

Now that would liven up a show!!!;)

Kohai999

Second Degree Cutter
I love it. Steven would have been walking around the show all proud of himself for whacking Henry in the face with a chair.
I wonder how long the grin on his face would last after he realized the same chair was sticking out of his Ass! :p

Now that would liven up a show!!!;)

Probably notice that one fairly quickly, Mike!:eek:

Gonna miss your face at Costa Mesa next month....sorry to hear 'bout the Gov't moving in.:grumpy:

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Interesting how some makers have become legends in spite of their rude treatment to those within the custom knife community. I don't notice this much in today's community.

Was it just a era or phase where this bad behavior by makers was acceptable or at least tolerated?

Lorien

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
so, uh, is this guy dead?

ddd

I really enjoy most of your posts, Lorien, they make me smile......:D

All the best,
David Darom (ddd)

so, uh, is this guy dead?

YES. I recall a while back there was a story about him in Blade magazine. At that time, thoughts were being tossed around about him being nominated to the Knifemakers Hall of Fame if I recall correctly (i'm sure if I haven't, someone will furnish the facts).

It seemed as his work was worthy but due to his abrasive personality, a lot of people didn't appreciate the his knifemaking skills.

Peter

Interesting how some makers have become legends in spite of their rude treatment to those within the custom knife community. I don't notice this much in today's community.

Was it just a era or phase where this bad behavior by makers was acceptable or at least tolerated?

Doesn't happen with all....But

Seems like the longer one makes knives and more popular a maker gets, the more cynical he becomes. Looking at years of back logged orders and knowing you're only a one man shop, making one knife at a time. Well, it's easy to see where a guy could lose a few marbles and maybe teeter on the edge of the deep end. :p

But with that said, I still see no need to become mean and nasty :eek:

Here's a little Henry discussion on Don fogg's forum that might be interesting.
http://forums.dfoggknives.com/index.php?showtopic=8594&pid=97510&st=0&#entry97510

Doesn't happen with all....But

Seems like the longer one makes knives and more popular a maker gets, the more cynical he becomes. Looking at years of back logged orders and knowing you're only a one man shop, making one knife at a time. Well, it's easy to see where a guy could lose a few marbles and maybe teeter on the edge of the deep end. :p

But with that said, I still see no need to become mean and nasty :eek:

Here's a little Henry discussion on Don fogg's forum that might be interesting.
http://forums.dfoggknives.com/index.php?showtopic=8594&pid=97510&st=0&#entry97510

Good points Don.
It seems that being able to handle success can be more important and difficult than gaining the success itself.

Believe we can find examples of this in some of today's professional athletes.
Some forget that thought their talent may have got them there, it's the fans that will keep them their.

DE Henry was an incredible maker, maybe his attitude was his way of dealing with the stress.

I've seen a good number of really good makers lose it, after becoming a bit popular and have just about disappeared.

DE Henry was an incredible maker, maybe his attitude was his way of dealing with the stress.

I've seen a good number of really good makers lose it, after becoming a bit popular and have just about disappeared.

And too, knifemaking is by no means an easy way to make a living. It can be hard, hot, dirty and dangerous work that can take a toll on a maker over the years.

A maker just told me the other day, that in addition to trying to recover from a lot of recent dental work he had a belt snap and slap him in the face.