The "Honorable" D.E. Henry

Do Knife Makers succeed because of the knives they make or the customers they attract?

Mitch

I think before you judge D.E. Henry, you might want to find out more about him. I think Roger Green was probably one of the makers that Henry trusted. He liked him enough to pass on the torch to Roger to make those fantastic bowies. A lot of the old school makers could care less about being famous. The ones that I've met simply wanted to make knives because that is what they enjoyed. Look at Scagel, he was a recluse who fought with strangers and the power company. Ruana was known to toss a few people out of his shop. It was a different world back then. These guys wanted to make what they were making and be left alone. I'm sure us makers could compare stories about guys who call the shop and proceed to tell us how to make our knives. Hell, I've had a few people had they been in my shop instead of on the telephone, I probably would have thrown them out of my shop. Another factor people do not look at is maybe this guy had a child or wife that was ill and was under stress and he just wanted to be left alone. I would say that most knifemakers are solitary people. D.E. was a bit of an historian on Collins machetes and authored a book on the history of the company. Before we judge to harshly, maybe someone can call Roger Green and get a better glimpse into who D.E. Henry really was.

Bobby

talking smack about dead people can be cool, but they should at least deserve it. I save that for guys like Hitler- you can never talk enough smack about that jerk off.
Otherwise rest in peace!

Bobby, well said! Henry was one of the best, despite all else.
I wish Roger Green was still making knives. He was making some kickass bowies! Is a crazy guy too :D

Do Knife Makers succeed because of the knives they make or the customers they attract?
Mitch

It takes both! :)

Kevin, a slap in the face with a belt is bad, but after a bunch of dental work, well..........

Mitch

That's a good question Mitch.

First, what constitutes success and what success is varies among individuals.

However, I think the maker's talent and the customer has to be tied-in to some extent, in that a maker may make outstanding knives, however needs the customer to purchase and spread the word in order to gain success/notoriety in many cases.

And too, some customers are only concerned with the knife and couldn't care less how the maker presents him/herself and others will only considered knives that are make by individuals that they consider kind and courteous.

Gentlemen:
I'd suggest you read and re-read an article by Richard Barney, about
Ed Henry, in the 1978 Gun Digest Book of Knives....some excellent
insights there.

Ed Henry didn't mince words, maintained the highest quality standards,
and had little patience with self important blow hards who engage in
conversations only to hear themselves talk, or look important.....Three
admirable qualities, in my book, and three strikes against him with
the folks who play power games.

Ed Henry made his own way, and was more than willing to share what
he had learned.....IF one listened.

As for the ivory handle issue....I agree wholely with Henry. I once made a
piece (maybe for the same collector..?)....Used the finest transluscent
ivory scales I had....you could see the sides of the pins....He had it
covered up with a painted wildlife scene...and thought it odd that
I didnt recognise it when I first saw it on display.

There are two knids of knifemakers, for the most part...Artists, and
mechanics. He was an artist. As such, it's understandable that
he would not want his communication of self re-interpreted.

Last edited:
I think before you judge D.E. Henry, you might want to find out more about him. I think Roger Green was probably one of the makers that Henry trusted. He liked him enough to pass on the torch to Roger to make those fantastic bowies. A lot of the old school makers could care less about being famous. The ones that I've met simply wanted to make knives because that is what they enjoyed. Look at Scagel, he was a recluse who fought with strangers and the power company. Ruana was known to toss a few people out of his shop. It was a different world back then. These guys wanted to make what they were making and be left alone. I'm sure us makers could compare stories about guys who call the shop and proceed to tell us how to make our knives. Hell, I've had a few people had they been in my shop instead of on the telephone, I probably would have thrown them out of my shop. Another factor people do not look at is maybe this guy had a child or wife that was ill and was under stress and he just wanted to be left alone. I would say that most knifemakers are solitary people. D.E. was a bit of an historian on Collins machetes and authored a book on the history of the company. Before we judge to harshly, maybe someone can call Roger Green and get a better glimpse into who D.E. Henry really was.

Bobby

Hi Bobby.
Don't know if your post was directed at me or not, however I don't mean to judge anyone nor were my posts directed specifically at the two makers mentioned in this thread.

It's just I have been amazed by the stories shared in this thread and others I have heard/read since becoming involved in the custom knife community. I find it interesting that some makers are kind, generous and promote the industry, while others (mostly, from past eras) have been cantankerous, rude and don't seem to care if they or anyone else sells a custom knife or not. And it seems some of the latter have become legends.

Thank you for your post as your knowledge of some of these makers has shed some light on the subject for me.

By the way, I have never meet you or purchased a knife from you however from your post I have read on this forum I would definitely put you in the first category. ;) :)

I happen to like cantankerous knife makers and mechanics. The crustier the better:thumbup:
Nice guys are good too:)

I can handle and will gladly deal with the individual if they meet the following criteria;

1. Have integrity and are honest
2. Can display respect to those who deserve it
2a. Aren't bigots
3. Maintain strenuous control over their quality

Everything else is an embellishment. There are people who are WAY too nice, who will take any opportunity to blow smoke up your ass. I can't stand that type, give me an awkward, anti social blowhard instead. At least then you know what you're dealing with.

No Kevin, It was not directed at you in any way, nor was it directed at anyone else. It was simply MY observation. I try to treat people like I would like to be treated and expect the same from others.

Kevin, I recently updated my site a bit to reflect the type of work that I am currently offering. I will be making some Herron style fighters and maybe a few forged fighters after The Chicago show. Feel free to poke around.
BB

Last edited:
Probably notice that one fairly quickly, Mike!:eek:

Gonna miss your face at Costa Mesa next month....sorry to hear 'bout the Gov't moving in.:grumpy:

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson
Thanks Steven. I can't tell you how disappointed we are not to be there. It was an honor for us.

Dan D. was kind enough to suggest that I send him a knife or two for him to put up at the show. That was very nice of him. He didn't have to do that. I only hope there is enough time before breaking down the shop to get one or two out!

Mike and Manuela

I'm just starting out as a knifemaker and I can see why some of these old guys get crusty. It's frustrating to hear what some joe sixpack guy thinks makes a good knife. I've been asked to do some of the most gawdy things, and I know that alot of other makers here have had some unrealistic demands from customers.

"I want a bowie knife....with half a rambo saw, half vine filework on the spine, mirror polished, half serrated edge, with a big mosaic pin right in the middle of an entire antler from a deer that my 6 year old shot on his first hunt. It's commemorative. OOH OOH AND TURQUOISE! Yeah. Turquoise. And 24 karat gold. And his name engraved right across the blade."

No wonder some of us get crusty.

And if someone modified a knife I made in any way, like the person who scrimshawed the Henry....I'd have the same attitude. You don't paint something you think is cool into a Van Gogh....

I have never met met D.E. henry BTW I heard he did not like to be called D E. I read that same article in 1978 Knife Digest. Very insightful atricle into Henry's attitude about knives and people. He also wrote the definitive book/history of Collins machetes and knives. Butch Winter who was knife writer and collector of custom knives from years back who passed away a year or so ago had a story about Henry. Seems Henry yelled at one his kids at a knife show several years back.He said he never added one of Henry's knives to his collection. I loved Butch's knife articles. I think Mr. Henry made a fantastic Bowie knife. He was a fine knifemaker. I don't own any of his knives but what I saw define the Bowie knife. I am not sure but I think his Bowies were modeled after Sheffield of the late 1800s. He was not a prolific knifemaker and I understand he worked very hard finishing his book before his death. In the last few years we have lost a great many wonderful knifemakers and a few knifewriters who were such an important part of the knifemaking world.

RKH

I would rather own a DE Henry knife than any other. In fact this thread has moved me to sell a few knives and find a great one to add to the safe.

Just because someone is rude doesn't mean we shouldn't admire their work.

Anthony,
OK, let me rephrase.. How could you Buy a knife from someone you find to be rude? ..wouldnt it rub you wrong? (always)
David

DE Henry is an icon. The quality of his work was unmatched in the day.

I don't care if he talked with his mouth full or barked at the moon. It is really irrelevant for the most part to me.

I doubt there would be half as much interest in handmade bowies without his legacy.

I have found many artists to lack basic etiquette or standard social skills. Some of them have never held a real job for any period, paid any real taxes or lived a very structured life. They often live on a huge ego trip because people like us clamor for their work and approval. They often have an unstable home life, both financially and personally and have a love-hate relationship with their own life decisons. Art is hard. Knives are easy. Art is hard.

I have a lot of respect for Bob, he is one of the good guys! He and I were involved in a very meaningful conversation, we had moved to a back corner of the show to be in a place where we could talk in private as we had already been interupted several times. The kid barged right in between us, his back to me and handed Bob the knife asking him what he thought. Had the kid approached Bob with courtesy he would have been treated much differently.

Bob and I ended up finding a little conference room that was empty, turned on the light, closed the door and continued our discussion in private.

Not referring to DE Henry as I never met the man, however I will not give my money to someone that's rude and/or disrespectful whether it's for buying a knife, fixing a car or whatever.

There's too many makers that make great knives and know how to treat a customer.

Back