Photos The Horn and Bone Thread

rUmiIBf.jpg

ijb23Bn.jpg

LlBcji5.jpg

zIflKXv.jpg

54TlQCh.jpg

Just wanted to learn:
for those horn (stag horn) scale, why some colors are white and more brown/amber, but some others are white and more dark (black)?
What causes this variations? the clean level? the age? or?

I'm no stag expert, but I'll take a stab at answering your question.

Being a natural, animal material, there will be variances from one antler to another, and one animal to another. Color, texture, shape, etc. Chalk it up to genetics.

How white a stag handle appears is often the result of how much shaping/grinding/sanding was performed on the piece to make a handle out of it. And then there is whiteness thar occurs from natural wear while it's still on the animals head, like scraping through brush, or in the case of bucks, fighting with one another.

And then there's dying, staining, and burning. Some knifemakers will use various methods to alter the color of a stag handle.

Just wanted to learn:
for those horn (stag horn) scale, why some colors are white and more brown/amber, but some others are white and more dark (black)?
What causes this variations? the clean level? the age? or?

Do a forum search here for potassium permanganate.......

Really a lot of beautiful knives. I'm carrying my Alan Davis with the corsican ram horn I posted in the initial post. I'll get a pic up later. I also have four traditionals with bone handles. Two are Case Sodbuster Jr's that I bought for my nephews, and the other two are mine, gifts from my dad for my 12th birthday and from a friend for my 40th. I'll get pics of those up too.

I recently learned that you can tell the difference between modern tusk and extinct animal tusk by the angle of the W pattern striations called Schreger lines. Tusks from extinct species have acute angles while modern species have obtuse angles. You can see these lines clearly in my handle, especially the blue areas.

View attachment 2331123

???
Why?

Mammoths weren't extinct that long ago, and who knows about animals that are alive today. They could be gone tomorrow. Will that show for Them?

What's the difference? It must be More than they are extinct.
Yes, I'm ignorant, but I'm calling BS.
;)

Back