The humble little pen knife

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
Let's see 'em.

I know there are loads of technicalities and such, but to me a pen knife is a smaller pocket knife with a blade on each end and usually one being smaller than the other.
More specifically the classic quintessential equal end is what I think of when I hear pen knife, but I love others as well that fall into the pen knife category.

I'll start this off with one of my all time favorite little pocket knives, because it was in my pocket and handy.

It just disappears in my pocket, punches way above it's weight, and the coping secondary blade is much handier than I ever imagined.

Here are a couple. I love these little knives. Super handy, and you never notice it’s there until you need it. :thumbsup:

An old vintage case, buck 305 with wood scales, buck 305 FFG. I have another little case like the one in the pic but with a bail on one end, it’s “smooth ivory” covers instead of the “cracked ivory” style in the pic below. I’ll have to find it in the closet one of these days. Cool little knives.

608FC320-6553-43A6-B2F8-432A49F5DA54.jpeg 09C2305C-F418-42ED-89C3-ED82F90598DD.jpeg EE4FF537-7BF3-4DC5-9996-8E1EA2D1733B.jpeg

Not sure if this qualifies, but the smaller blade is a pen blade.
g2LcBPT.jpg

Here are a couple. I love these little knives. Super handy, and you never notice it’s there until you need it. :thumbsup:

An old vintage case, buck 305 with wood scales, buck 305 FFG. I have another little case like the one in the pic but with a bail on one end, it’s “smooth ivory” covers instead of the “cracked ivory” style in the pic below. I’ll have to find it in the closet one of these days. Cool little knives.

View attachment 1455815 View attachment 1455816 View attachment 1455817

Oh I gotta find me one of those buck made FFG lancers I had a Camillus made 305 and liked the grind but the swedge really killed the looks for me.
The Buck made 305's are definitely better looking.

Reactions: BP_
A pen knife is a wonderful office/black tie companion. Which is why I searched for what I believe to be one of the classiest;
The '65-'69 Case Red Bone Pen Knife
h4epTmq.jpg

Hitting the nail on the head :cool: For years I've been boring on repeating myself ;) why CAN'T CASE offer their Serp Pen in something other than Yellow D?? Amber Bone, Chestnut Bone, Bonestag 6.5 for example??:rolleyes:

Whilst the definition of a Penknife might be elastic; non knife types :rolleyes: use the word to denote an old fashioned Traditional type of knife of any pattern; for me at least it's a blade at each end knife. Often single-spring, but not always and I don't think size need enter the equation. GEC's Churchill 35 is a bulky knife but it's EE and meets my promiscuous definition of Penknife:D same with the Possum Skinner. Muskrats maybe not as they evolved a name and niche for themselves over time. Moose too.

Here, CASE's Half Whittler which was formerly single spring but now comes as a two spring knife.

AkvEBFg.jpg

Norfolk was mentioned earlier, an old pattern originally from England but having a distinct frame shape and Wharncliffe master. So it's a pattern in itself derived from the idea of a Penknife being a double (and in its case sometimes triple)bladed knife with blades on each end

Here Black Box Winchester is a small knife with Wharncliffe/Pen single spring. CASE Bose Norfolk is much bigger and opts for a Clip minor interestingly enough.

Nothing HUMBLE about Penknives :D

DP9JdGv.jpg

kRQdjuW.jpg

Last edited:
Back