The 'I ❤ Nathan' Thread

Nathan can decree whatever policy he likes regarding internet sales tax subject be for now he has decided to pay for it out of his own pocket! IOf someone wants a CPK, for now it's either directly from CPK via the Fridays sales on BF.com or:

- The secondary markets which by and large will cost you a bit more
- The one and only distributor which will definitely cost you more by way of shipping + sales tax
- Trip to Blade Show, which will most definitely cost you more if you factor in the cost of the trip but lotsa fun ;)

So yeah, not only Nathan/Jo are going to lose a few more $ but also for their generosity they will have to deal with the insult of dealing with added sales tax paperwork :mad:

tom-hanks-mr-rogers.jpg

Jo & Nathan, I just wanted to make a brief statement to sincerely thank you both for chugging along during these hard times which according to my ever glass-half-empty proclivities, we haven’t seen anything yet!

I know that an expansion during uncertain times puts an enormous amount of angst and anxiety on any small business, but I am quite certain that most of your die-hard customers will stand behind you till the bitter end, which I really hope never comes! You two have earned our trusts and devotion.

Take care of yourselves and your family first and foremost like the rest of us who prioritize our owns’ first and foremost. I hope that everyone who has some fund$ parked in the preorders will be totally understanding of what we humans state as an act of Nature (put god in here if a believer) when we refer to some extreme extenuating circumstances which are beyond our controls.

Of course I can only speak for myself but I strongly believe that many more of our CPK brethren are as dedicated as I am, if not even more! Be well and let’s pull through this all together :)

Nathan, will you be considering a preorder at some point this year for the emerging DEK1 pattern or will you be hesitant to do so because of your very conservative nature and your general dislike of preorders, specially in these uncertain times? (is this a leading Q? maybe :p)

I'm asking this because I am interested in finding out if the usually offered semi-custom options during preorder sales will be an actual option for this pattern? I'm not concerned about not being able to score one or two during the regular sales but would love to add some fancier ones to my CPK bevy. What are your current thoughts please?

Those so-called "pot luck" items in the upcoming sales, simply mouth watering and jaw dropping. Nathan could get a lot more $ for some of them if he went auction style but being man of the people and true to his core principles, he will still go FCFS. He ain't no dummy and knows very well that some of his Shivs have gone for 3 x his past table prices.

You just gotta luv this guy even though I know that I will not be able to get my hands on any of the most desired items. Believe me, this statement of defeat is not because of lack of desire, passion or even funds but for a serious lack of speedy dexterity :D

Nathan is not infallible and can be bribed! The legend has it that if someone true to his words, unlike all the past wankers making empty promises, rides to Nathan’s compound on a well-stocked, rotund and healthy young * pony and gives Nathan the keys to the said pony, Nathan in return will give that punter the keys to pot-luck ala an all you can eat buffet but you must firstly pay NinJo for the the stuff in your proverbial plate as the NinJo is the business end of the enterprise ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
1st Nathan lurve for April? OK, let me come to the rescue spoiling that!

I must confess that I'm in luv with Nathan's knives. I do luv Nathan although I have not met him in person but I have seen enough from him and his work to not just luv that guy.

That said, receiving his knives, specially during these difficult times, brings much joy to me. Hopefully I should be receiving a package in the next couple of days from saint-elsewhere and if I am really really lucky, I may even manage to score something really rare during tomorrow's sale :)

I've been digging up my yard, prepping garden areas and today as I was swingin the pick I was thinking about my good friend Nathan.

There was a guy I worked for who owns a bike shop and I ran that shop for him for about 7 years...actually, I probably ran the shop for 5 years and wrenched for two of them.

Anyway, there were a number of things relating to his character that made me choose to leave, but none of those things influenced my respect for his very positive attributes. Primarily, he was a generous kind of person. In particular, he had a real fondness for lost puppies.

As the store manager, or whatever title you could describe me as having, his choices for new employees was confusing to say the least. He would hire people who were not what many would regard as 'employable'. For me, this really created a lot of extra work. I'd constantly have to make corrections, find things that were stashed in the wrong spot, and answer the same questions over and over again.

There was a young guy that was hired who loved bikes. He was obsessed with them. He suffered from Asperger's Syndrome and there really wasn't any job that he could do at the shop that we could rely on being done right, so we all kind of pulled together around him to ensure his lack of ability didn't imperil our customers.

He stuck around for about a year, and it was frustrating for me the whole time- I'm a person who prioritizes efficiency, and having him around seemed like a punishment.

Looking back, though, I think about those times a lot. I think about what I learned about the challenges people face, who really have no control over their situation, and I learned to value people for who they are without resorting to objectifying or labelling them in any way.

Nathan is a much more pleasant person than my old boss, and he also maintains the kind of empathy that raises up the underdog and gives everyone the benefit of the doubt. Having been self employed for almost twenty years now, it's hard to imagine having a boss, but if I did I can imagine working for Nathan. I guess I sort of do, but I think you know what I mean.

Back