1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The importance of quality drivers.

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by JackTheKnifeGuy, Sep 12, 2018 at 7:07 PM.

1. JackTheKnifeGuy

JackTheKnifeGuy Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2017
    Ive heard of breaking keys inside of locks...
    Ive heard of torx drivers stripping screws...
    Ive even heard of screws stripping the torx themselves...

but never..NEVER have I heard of breaking off a tort bit inside a screw.. :eek:

Ive never posted in GBU before so im not sure what to label this so im just going with mixed.
    Mainly because its partially the companies fault for making a crappy driver,
    and Partially my fault for going with a cheap chinese torx set to begin with..

I had plans to swap my Cold steel Talwar scales, creating an all blacked out Talwar. Unfortunately my torx set had other plans and BROKE OFF inside the screw... Guess im screwed....or torxed?:confused:

Just a public announcement to remind people sometimes its better to get quality over quantity. Yeah these are cheap and readily available at most home depots. But its all fun and games until something like this happens.

Just be careful.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Mo2 and Dadpool like this.
  2. H0kieengineer

H0kieengineer Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2017
    I have a set of Wiha drivers, non changeable tips, and love them. I have used them for over 2 years and even the #6 hasn’t bent or stripped anything out. They are about $25 on Amazon.

BTGuy, OilMan and JackTheKnifeGuy like this.
  3. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    I have the same Husky drivers, and did the same thing. Got about a year's worth of use from it. Not bad for a budget tool.

On the bright side, the softer bit never once stripped the head of any screw.

4. ponykid

ponykid

Sep 14, 2015
    Hmm. now how to get that sucker out of there.

Think carefully drilling it out is the answer? best to have a drill press and small bit and take it slow . chances are the screw will be damaged

5. braillediver

braillediver Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Put the knife in the freezer? Maybe with luck it'll free the torx driver?

6. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    :( ^ and maybe try a strong magnet and/or tap the knife, broken bit down, on a block of wood.
    Good luck with the extraction :thumbsup:

Ray

7. Diemaker

Diemaker KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 28, 2017
    I would try picking it out with a pin or utility knife/razor blade tip first. Hopefully it's not stuck in there too tight.

8. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    AFAA8785-977F-48CE-BC63-31752344EFCB.jpeg If it broke while you were tightening the screw, try a left hand drill to break it loose. Conversely, if you broke the bit while loosening the screw, use a right hand drill to loosen the piece.
    I like the Rain.Z drivers with Wiha bits.

Llasi likes this.
  9. SOLEIL

SOLEIL Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Husky tools from Lowes used to have a lifetime warranty, not sure if they still do. Wiha is my favorite and all I have used for the past 8 years.

10. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    It is a little out of context but when I worked on high end automobiles for a living I used to break Torx bits all the time on the screws that held the hood (bonnet) to the hinges on Mercedes cars.
    Turns out the paint acted like epoxy on the threads and locked the screws really well.
    Finally, finally I learned to heat the screws with a heat gun. No prob.
    These were excellent Torx by the way; SnapOn or Mac
    Personally I would rather have a Torx bit that snaps off than one that is too soft and mushes or spirals. That way it is up to me how much torque I put into the fastener rather than having the bit give up before I am done hoiking on it.

11. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    67EEF4A7-500C-4700-B105-E98B91EC2766.jpeg Do you men like this (Chapman bit). I would rather have it spiral than mess up the recess.

12. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Yes that's what I mean.
    Torx bits and REAL Torx screws are tough enough that there will be no messing up of the recess. Some of this sorry stuff they put on pocket knives on the other hand is sub par.
    One of the keys I have found for these tiny knife screws is to be doubly sure to have the correct size bit. Have a full set of sizes and start large and work down until one fits.

Some of the rounded out screws I see here (miss labeled "stripped") comes from people not having a full set of sizes and using a bit that is too small.

. . . no . . . real Torx screws which tend to be hardened and Parkerized won't round out they will break the bit first. Trust me I have really got after them and broken top shelf tools.

One "secret" to not rounding out a low quality Torx, once you have the correct size, is to apply a boat load of downward force to hold the bit in the bottom of the screw.
    One of the best ways I have found to do that is with a socket "speeder" handle.
    Unknown-1.jpeg

The hood screws that occasionally broke I was using a socket wrench like this one in the second photo and still had tons of purchase on the screws. There was never any problem of rounding out the good quality Mercedes screws.

Unknown-2.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018 at 9:28 PM
  13. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    ^ Yes, but you need to clamp down your knife in order to get that solid downward pressure. You can't imagine until
    you've encountered one or 2 such resistant screws how much pressure it can take to break their hold. They are sooo little, after all :(

Ray