The Just Hanging Out Thread.

I got turned onto them by cchu518 cchu518 during the PiF thread actually. Liked it so much I bought the m390 version from BHQ and gave the PiF to my brother-in-law. Great knife :thumbsup:

Excited to see where you are going with this one :D

Me too, kind of hoping it goes anywhere as it's very much just a crazy idea at this point and I want to start working on proof of concept after mulling this over for 5 or 6 months with a few sketches, but mostly theory and thought exercise.

Speaking of the old PIF thread, the RAT 1 that I received is going out this week to a friend living out of state. He moved after losing everything in the Paradise CA fire. I figured he could use the knife more than I could.

And, the purple Endura 4 that my daughter was supposed to receive...I finally delivered to her after I got hooked on its ergonomics. She took one look at it and told me to pass it on to my wife who also had shown some interest in it. I might get a chance to use it from time to time if I am lucky.

As neat as the knives from the PIF are, I would have to say that the friendships I now have are worth far more. :)

Last edited:
Same here lots of house repairs although the summer heat has been brutal in NJ lately and slowing things down a bit. I need to stain my deck which will be a fall project. I had to replace the wood eaves of my garage. I sanded and painted two sides and need to finish the other two sides but it's been too hot to do so. I'm going to try to replace the window trim today and I picked up some of that composite PVC wood board. Assuming it's similar to MDF?

ifWKzP6.jpg

My summer carry rotation. The Insingo is amazing as ever. Sabre had it on loan for a little while and he either broke it in or adjusted the pivot but the action is amazing now. The baby Jess Horn continues to be a forever knife. It's the most capable tiny knife that I edc and will probably remain so for the rest of my days, it really is an amazing format and was a great pif knife. The Cadet has a funny story. I sent it away during the pif ended up with it back after sabre saw that I was missing a Cadet and I got it back a year later.

The Manix 2 lw from Bikerector stays in my kitchen drawer and it's my go to work knife. The CTS-BD1n works really well for me. You can instantly figure out that the edge retention is much better than the original non-n version.

Trying not to go stir crazy during these crazy times!

Last edited:
Same here lots of house repairs although the summer heat has been brutal in NJ lately and slowing things down a bit. I need to stain my deck which will be a fall project. I had to replace the wood eaves of my garage. I sanded and painted two sides and need to finish the other two sides but it's been too hot to do so. I'm going to try to replace the window trim today and I picked up some of that composite PVC wood board. Assuming it's similar to MDF?

ifWKzP6.jpg

My summer carry rotation. The Insingo is amazing as ever. Sabre had it on loan for a little while and he either broke it in or adjusted the pivot but the action is amazing now. The baby Jess Horn continues to be a forever knife. It's the most capable Tony knife that I edc and will probably remain so for the rest of my days, it really is an amazing format and was a great pif knife. The Cadet has a funny story. I sent it away during the pif ended up with it back after sabre saw that I was missing a Cadet and I got it back a year later.

The Manix 2 lw from Bikerector stays in my kitchen drawer and it's my go to work knife. The CTS-BD1n works really well for me. You can instantly figure out that the edge retention is much better than the original non-n version.

Trying not to go stir crazy during these crazy times!
Been wanting to try a CRK. Thinking I might move some unloved steel and step up before the older models are completely gone.

Been wanting to try a CRK. Thinking I might move some unloved steel and step up before the older models are completely gone.
I'm certain you've tried a ton of different knives. With that in mind I don't think CRK is going to blow your mind whatsoever!

For a super simple and clean Ti framelock they make great choices. Flat scales and even the large is a very compact carry. The large in most cases is too large to carry around and the small is a tad too small. Splitting the difference, I've chosen to just keep the small as it's the better all around edc for me. That is to say someone who carries a knife everyday but probably doesn't cut a whole lot of stuff most days lol.

PS I've been carrying those cheapo Gerbers in 420HC more than anything else. At 1 ounces they make the perfect edc while wearing shorts!

Last edited:
I'm certain you've tried a ton of different knives. With that in mind I don't think CRK is going to blow your mind whatsoever!

For a super simple and clean Ti framelock they make great choices. Flat scales and even the large is a very compact carry. The large in most cases is too large to carry around and the small is a tad too small. Splitting the difference, I've chosen to just keep the small as it's the better all around edc for me. That is to say someone who carries a knife everyday but probably doesn't cut a whole lot of stuff most days lol.

PS I've been carrying those cheapo Gerbers in 420HC more than anything else. At 1 ounces they make the perfect edc while wearing shorts!
I can get with that. Seems like something to check off the list. I was looking to pickup a small 21 with fancier scales. Appreciate the fit and finish. If I an beyond underwhelmed, should be easy to move later (especially as 21's eventually leave retail).

I can get with that. Seems like something to check off the list. I was looking to pickup a small 21 with fancier scales. Appreciate the fit and finish. If I an beyond underwhelmed, should be easy to move later (especially as 21's eventually leave retail).
If you can snipe a 21 first and then sell your gear to pay for it. There's been a rabid run on 21s ever since they announced they're being discontinued. Quite frankly I like the look of the scales better on the 21 vs the 31!

If you can snipe a 21 first and then sell your gear to pay for it. There's been a rabid run on 21s ever since they announced they're being discontinued. Quite frankly I like the look of the scales better on the 21 vs the 31!
Yeah, I was not a fan of the 31's scales... they just look uneven and "blob-like" to me...

As far as the 21, can't decide between micarta inlay or something like spalted beech...

That's tough. I had Snakewood on my mnandi and loved the way it looked, I never carried that knife. I liked the way the micarta on my Sebenza felt better but ultimately felt the plain Jane was easier to carry. I liked the Wilson Combats small and large starbenza's that I had better than the inlays and I am betting if I got the Umnumzaan to begin with I would have just stopped at the Zaan. I have just the small plain Insingo Inkosi now and love it. It's stouter than a regular in small size and that makes all the difference.

So I just turned 48 on Tuesday. As a gift, a friend of mine gave me a Dragonfly. Wow, such a great little knife! With the heat wave, and not having AC in the house, I’ve been living in basketball shorts, and all my 3-4” EDC’s feel like I’m walking around with a bowling ball in my pocket. But this little Dragonfly just disappears and is light as air. Think it’s gonna get a lot of pocket time in shorts, running pants, etc.

So I just turned 48 on Tuesday. As a gift, a friend of mine gave me a Dragonfly. Wow, such a great little knife! With the heat wave, and not having AC in the house, I’ve been living in basketball shorts, and all my 3-4” EDC’s feel like I’m walking around with a bowling ball in my pocket. But this little Dragonfly just disappears and is light as air. Think it’s gonna get a lot of pocket time in shorts, running pants, etc.
Summer ultralite knives are the way to go! Know exactly how you feel!

Fortunately I can carry any size of fixed blade that I want. But the want part is lacking on the big ones. I tried. They do get noticed by LEO's regardless of the law.

Rough. New Jersey is basically east coast california, when it comes to freedom.

Ohio is... "ambiguous"... when it comes to freedom. We can carry pretty much anything: no statewide length rules, no rules against fixed blades, no rules against concealed carry.... however, you are not allowed to carry a "concealed weapon"... which could be... pretty much anything if they can prove intent or it was used in self defense. So... you need to wade through case law to see what the precedent is for specific types, carry circumstances, etc.

Ohio is... "ambiguous"... when it comes to freedom. We can carry pretty much anything: no statewide length rules, no rules against fixed blades, no rules against concealed carry.... however, you are not allowed to carry a "concealed weapon"... which could be... pretty much anything if they can prove intent or it was used in self defense. So... you need to wade through case law to see what the precedent is for specific types, carry circumstances, etc.
One of the reasons I love AZ! Even have constitutional conceal carry of firearms here

Checking in on y'all! Still doing ok? Anything good going on? Been working from the home office still, trying to home school the kid for the first semester, getting some home maintenance done before it gets too cold... and buying way too many knives in the process. So... same old same old, I guess?

Back