1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

The Just Hanging Out Thread.

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by cchu518, Nov 6, 2019.

1. bikerector

bikerector KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 16, 2016
    There have been a few conversations about how crazy it is to get GEC's. It's great for GEC and I'm glad they've found such a good market to stay in business during the pandemic. Not all small businesses are doing as well.

I picked up their pioneer trapper and found it to be a pretty neat knife. It's huge, like a 2-bladed buck 110, minus the lock of course. The springs are silly stiff, which I don't care for when it has a half-stop too.

Honestly, it's been driving me towards the Lionsteel, and similar, traditionals. Especially the stuff from Collectorknives.

woodysone and Coyja like this.
  2. Coyja

Coyja

Nov 7, 2009
    Yeah, those 23s can be beasts! I have one from an older run and it’s gorgeous but I don’t carry it much anymore cause of the size and pull. It’s just finally loosening up after ten years!

woodysone and bikerector like this.
  3. Billy The Hungry

Billy The Hungry

Aug 11, 2020
    I hope everyone is having a good Monday so far!

4. Deinos

Deinos Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Same with the GEC stuff. Picked up a Beer and Sausage knife... but the effort definitely turned me off from adding much more than that to my GEC collection this year... Spyderco's treatment of exclusives has left a similar taste in my mouth (did pick up a DLT Smock though... always wanted to try one out).

bikerector and Coyja like this.
  5. Coyja

Coyja

Nov 7, 2009
    Yeah, been on the hunt for a B&S and they are becoming unubtanium.
    Shame, they look cool, and half the group seems to hate them. But you have to hope to magically stumble across one at this point.

6. Deinos

Feb 7, 2016
    I got ridiculously lucky on KnivesShipFree with the NCM version. Tried for ebony and struck out on every site that offered them...

Coyja likes this.
  7. Coyja

Coyja

Nov 7, 2009
    . Yeah, I've been throwing other stuff at B&Ss for trade and having no luck... got to sell a few things, it looks like.
    I dud buy a Boker Club Gentleman from Lamnia that I can't wait to get. Basically a GEC 35.

Deinos likes this.
  8. Deinos

Feb 7, 2016
    Ohhhh, I like that Boker. Especially like that it uses N690.

9. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    @Coyja I have come more or less full circle but still like both moderns and traditionals. But I seem to buy more traditionals overall for the last couple of years. GEC.... yeah, I like their knives overall. But I am not going to go to great lengths to get my hands on a new release. If It is available and I want it, I buy it. My last was the 86. I don't collect them and I certainly don't need any more to use... so, if something grabs me and it's available, I'll buy it. Otherwise, I'm not going to worry about it. This attitude saves me money and not getting a certain knife has no impact what so ever on my life or my knife interest. ;)

sbh06, Deinos and bikerector like this.
  10. Coyja

Coyja

Nov 7, 2009
    Yeah, its not like I'm losing sleep over it or anything, just a strange return to the game. I tend to circle back to traditionals on a several year basis, and always have had an easy time quickly finding what I was looking for, but things are different now... and wow are prices higher. I looked back over some of my sales like 2-3 years ago and the same knives are 2-4x what I sold them for, lol.

Off topic, but that profile picture is from the cartoons in Pipes Magazine, no?

11. Deinos

Feb 7, 2016
    Case in point... just saw someone trying to move a REC Para 3 exclusive for $500 on another trade site...o_O...:rolleyes:...

Coyja likes this.