The Knife of 2015

This is the knife I carried the most this year. It performed every task brilliantly, and I sure enjoyed having it in my pocket.

This pic kind of sums up my 2015. I really jumped into the SAK world, with 7 different alox models, and this hunter in CPM-M4 by Stuart Davenport (samuraistuart on BFC) was a joy to use skinning a pile of deer last month.

HuntingPair_zpswezqlnap.jpg~original

Sweet!

Cate

I'd have a hard time picking a single knife that stands out to me in 2015. I carry an Alox SAK Cadet almost every day, and have ever since I got it in 2013, so that's kind of my "knife of the year" three years running.

Though about this time last year, I bought my last few Case knives, and one of those was a Bermuda Green Peanut. I have had Case Peanuts before and they never really made it to my pocket but for some reason the Greenut has been along as a companion to the Cadet more days than any other single knife, so I suppose 2015 was my "year of learning to appreciate the Peanut."

So, recycling a pic I have used many times, here are my "knives of 2015." Not as impressive or expensive as most of those that have been posted, but it's what I've been carrying.

This is sweet too!

Cate

My top knife for 2015 is the BUCK Ranger Skinner #113.

My second knife would be the BUCK #119 Special.

I only own, use and carry fixed blade knives now.

I was told that they are considered traditional knives so I can put them in this section.

There are so many beautiful knives in this thread that it would be hard to thank each person. Thank you for sharing, folks.

Cate

My knife of 2015 is definitely my Case Chestnut bone CV Peanut!
Although I got it in the late summer, it was my most carried and most used knife of the year.
Regards, Daniel

Without a doubt, this Fiddleback Forge Runt. The other knives rotate and change, but this little fixed blade is always there!

F10F50FA-341E-4946-A276-09A7B1C7CA8B_zpsgv24e31e.jpg

I have bought a good number traditional knives both folders and fixed blades. i have enjoyed using each of them this year. However this lt Wright campmuk stands out amount the rest. It has completely replaced my modern folder in my front pocket. Now all I carry is the campmuk and a slip joint in my back pocket.

Probably Ol' Scluddy here.
20151228_123133_zpscw5udaiz.jpg

I can usually get the snap back with a good clean out in the washing up water. Then a bit of oil. Sadly the scluddiness returns and I end up having to push the blades home especially the bottle opener.
:confused::D
Happy New Year to all.

I mostly prefer small knives, Peanuts, Pembertons, Magnums and such, then the arthritis started playing me up so i moved to #25 Little Jacks and really like them, then i was lucky enough to come across a GEC #38 Grinling Whittler and as it turned up today it just gets under the wire as my knife of 2015.

z8RncJO.jpg

Last edited:
Case Pocket Worn SS Peanut in Old Red Bone. Well, it isn't carbon steel, but it has pretty red covers! I had my cv yeller nut recovered in ebony, but this one just keeps finding it's way in my pocket. It didn't stay in my pocket until I had upped my sharpening game and could get that Case Surgical Stainless shaving sharp. I can get the CV sharp too, but for some reason, I get drawn to this one over the ebony. I generally carry two traditional pocket knives and this is most often one of them. It gets the most use..... and early in ownership, I scratched the main blade during sharpening.... :mad: I need to fix that, but I don't really want to. I just want to carry and use. Why Case can't get their old red bone like this I don't know.

Last edited:
I mostly prefer small knives, Peanuts, Pembertons, Magnums and such, then the arthritis started playing me up so i moved to #25 Little Jacks and really like them, then i was lucky enough to come across a GEC #38 Grinling Whittler and as it turned up today it just gets under the wire as my knife of 2015.

I have similar issues Bob. I think the pull on the #38's are perfect for folks like us. I'm glad you're happy with the rare bird. :thumbup::D

Was fortunate to have been able to pick this up from Ken Erickson in 2015. Very much a tribute to his talent and drive to push himself.

10991552_353345811528827_5693014289901029041_o.jpg

11004654_353345758195499_7660158734236398981_o.jpg

Ken%20Top.jpg

Ken%20Pile.jpg

Ken%20Mark.jpg
Mr. Erickson builds the most exquisite knives that I have never physically seen 'cept in pics. But to me they are the most spectacular. [emoji380] [emoji5]

I have similar issues Bob. I think the pull on the #38's are perfect for folks like us. I'm glad you're happy with the rare bird. :thumbup::D

I am indeed happy with my new knife Bob, it is making itself right at home in my pocket and although it is a bit larger than i usually carry, somehow it does not seem all that big, maybe because it is not too heavy.
Bob.

Easily my 71 in black derlin has come along on my adventures the most in 2015.
This was it's first among many and a patina quickly followed… :rolleyes:

Was fortunate to have been able to pick this up from Ken Erickson in 2015. Very much a tribute to his talent and drive to push himself.

10991552_353345811528827_5693014289901029041_o.jpg

I think you win Gus! :D :thumbup:

Fantastic idea for a thread, Jack! I wanted to wait until the year was out and I'd had time to collect my thoughts before posting.

2015 was the year I got into traditionals. I joined BF in May, after a couple months lurking on the porch. Unlike a lot of places, the porch is very friendly to newbies, and I've learned a lot here (thank you!) -- while always feeling welcome.

It was a challenge to get down to five knives, but fear not! In the spirit of this thread, I'll narrow it down to just one. :D I'll also noodle about lessons learned along the way.

Do I go with my first knife, the one that brought me into the fold, in what remains one of my favorite patterns? I bought it in part because I wanted to see the bolsters and shield patina, something I'd never looked for in a knife before. This Ka-Bar Coppersmith Dog's Head Barlow remains a favorite 7 months later, but it's not my knife of the year.

Hik7dnI.jpg

Is the prettiest knife I've ever purchased, this Tuna Valley Railsplitter, my knife of the year? I took one look at this knife and knew I had to own it -- it "spoke" to me like no other knife I'd seen. That was a good lesson, because it's still the primary way I decide to buy a knife: "Does it speak to me?" If not, I know it won't get carried and I don't buy it.

This was also the knife that taught me the most about the wabi half of wabi-sabi, with its gap between one end of one cover and its bolster. It's also the only knife I've ever sent back for repairs, and the fine folks here on the porch helped me understand the difference between wabi and functional problems. But it's not my knife of the year.

6MhgI1M.jpg

How about my first custom? This Hiroaki Ohta friction folder also "spoke" to me the moment I saw it, despite being a style of knife I'd never considered owning before. I only buy knives to carry and use, and I like to rotate through my knife collection. This knife, though, colonized my pocket for a solid month.

It reached the point where I wondered if I'd ever buy another knife, or if, perhaps, I'd wasted my time and money buying the other knives I already owned. I woke up every day wanting to carry this one. I also sold off about half of my collection around the time I got this one, or close to it. I knew what it felt like when a knife commanded my attention, and most of them were found wanting.

But it's not my knife of the year. :)

pP0LfZH.jpg

One day I woke up and was ready for a change again, so I popped this Schatt & Morgan single-blade Barlow in my pocket...where it stayed for a month. This knife brought me back to one of my favorite patterns, and incorporated some of my favorite features: a long match-striker pull, a big ol' bolster stamp, and a sheepsfoot blade. The past few months have taught me that a sheepsfoot or Wharncliffe is my most-used blade style.

In terms of sheer pocket time, it's tied with my Ohta. It also earns a special mention for teaching that yes, even if I carry one knife (the Ohta) for a long time, I'll eventually circle back to my other favorites. But it's not my knife of the year.

jM0RBiO.jpg

My knife of 2015 is this Case/Bose Coffin Jack, which I bought on the Exchange just a couple of weeks ago. It hasn't left my pocket since. I've coon-fingered it more than any knife I own. As I typed this, I got it out of my knife chest and sat it next to me on my desk so I could chicken-eye it. :D

Lately I've tended to prefer single-bladed knives, and this has two. With multi-bladed knives I usually like two markedly different profiles, ideally including a straight-edge; this has a spear and a pen. But when a knife speaks to me, which this one does, loud and clear, and when I bond with it, which I have with this one, that stuff doesn't matter. This knife is amazing, and it's earned its position as first among equals.

Fq7R2Lq.jpg

Here on the first day of 2016, my collection is deliberately lean (under 20 knives), and I'm thrilled with my knives. I'm also a bit emotional about the porch, because this place is so warm, so knowledgeable, and so welcoming. It feels like home.

Thank you. :)

Thanks Dadpool, that is a really great post in my opinion, five fantastic knives, and after tantalising us a little, I think you made a great choice :) :thumbup:

Thanks Dadpool, that is a really great post in my opinion, five fantastic knives, and after tantalising us a little, I think you made a great choice :) :thumbup:

Hey, that's what I was going to say, if with "tease" instead of "tantalize"!

:D

~ P.

Back