The LRK+ Mod Discussion and Pic Thread

Got wood?

IMAG0293.JPG
What'cha got there?

I know, picture sucks, hun?
2012-06-07+02.38.29.jpg

Walnut and walnut burl, had some zircote (and even some buckeye) in a few shopping carts but could never find the "right" piece, you know?

I know, picture sucks, hun?
2012-06-07+02.38.29.jpg

Walnut and walnut burl, had some zircote (and even some buckeye) in a few shopping carts but could never find the "right" piece, you know?
Walnut is good,did you get it at Walmart?
Har har.:rolleyes:

Ouch, :) :p

nope, not at Lowes either, :D, Although i did look for pins there but they only had 1/8 tubes

there is, and I will, had a look around there but struck out, i'l ask next time (I tend to avoid sales people normally but it might be necessary :p) thanks!

Pretty sure I can make both scales out of one of the walnut burl blocks, anyone think why this might be a bad idea?
103_9675.JPG

i can't see why not. but then again...i don't really know. :) love that walnut peter. can't wait to see the finished product.

Pretty sure I can make both scales out of one of the walnut burl blocks, anyone think why this might be a bad idea?
103_9675.JPG
Hail no,it's gonna be sweet I'm sure.
That walnut will look great with the HT finish.:thumbup:

Got 'er done yet?:p

I'm going to keep the cord wrap on the HT finished one & put scales on the satin finished one coming next month.

Last edited:
I can't wait to show you guys the scales I got! KY, good looking stuff, I say if it fits do it!

can't wait to see them,

Thanks guys, I'm going to try it, kinda worried I'll fray the wood with the cut but I've always got the other block, and if it works I can use it on another LRK plus :)

103_9670.JPG

First LRK+ mod pic in the thread!(Shown with the great little Toby's Knife designed by KYenglish)
OK,it ain't much,but the wrap sure makes a difference.
I'm thinking about epoxy soaking it to seal out moisture & keep the cord from moving with use,
or maybe a less permanent Plastidip coating.
I think I'll try some clear plastidip first,at least it comes off fairly easy. (& I happen to have some on hand)
Or maybe a different color cord......
0d49c236.jpg

Nice mykel!! Im liking the coyote para cord and the way you wrapped that handle. I can't wait to be able to contribute to this thread!!!!

For those planning to use wood, are you guys worried about stabilizing the wood? Just curious...

Just remember guys,the dust from sanding micarta,G10,stabilized wood & some exotic wood is toxic,don't forget your respirator when buying supplies.

Back