The Machete Pinch grip! Or How to use a machete- Video!

Joezilla

Moderator- Wilderness and Survival Skills
Hey guys, this is the first of many in a series on how to use a machete. Quite fittingly, the first one is how to do the basic pinch grip. Next up: Proper chopping!

The quality should get a bit better later on after it is finished processing.

[youtube]V4wb32tkS6c[/youtube]

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that Joe! I find it nearly impossible to explain proper grip and chopping technique without showing someone how its done. It is unfortunate that most folks in this day and age have grown up without even this basic knowledge.

Thanks guys. Sitting there and trying to explain it to someone is a pain unless you got a chete right in front of you. I hope this helps

Great vid Joe.

Just FYI for any others who may drop by, that's the same type of grip and motion you use to properly chop with any other large knife or a kukri.

Fortunately I managed to figure out the motion without having to be shown, back when I was in junior high. I got a machete at Home Depot by some company called Express and went to town in the back yard with it. Along the way I luckily figured out the technique shown above. Just let the blade to the work! :)

Thanks Modzilla. This will help teach the others in my family how to hold them without trying to explain it myself. Thanks. :thumbup:

I just had another thought.

This video helps to demonstrate why people should not generally be worried about using a knife with a stick tang to chop with provided that the knife is not going to get stuck in the wood. If the blade is allowed to do the work, then there is very little stress on the handle with a chopping stroke. I think it is levering the knife by the handle that is more of a problem. So if the knife gets stuck in the wood that is being chopped, then you have to be careful getting it out. It is probably best to apply the stress as close to the blade as possible rather than lever the knife from the butt-end of the handle.

Just my two cents.

dont forget to use a wrist strap, makes it much easier to hold a machete loose, adjust the strap so it holds it in you hand without having to grip it hard, have never had a blister from using a machete this way, even when cutting heaps of brush.

dont forget to use a wrist strap, makes it much easier to hold a machete loose, adjust the strap so it holds it in you hand without having to grip it hard, have never had a blister from using a machete this way, even when cutting heaps of brush.

I don't like using lanyards with big choppers most of the time. I only find them useful if fatigued, which means I should take a break anyway! :D Otherwise they just get in my way.

Are you a Tico ?
In Miami, long ago, I got corrected by the MexiMalanDuran kids.
No es hacha.... hatchet/ axe.
" It isn't a hatchet ! "
Perfect video !

In return I showed them how to swing a sledge. Railroad style !

That was truly awesome. Now, did you actually get that machete to zing like that when cutting through that sapling in the first demo???

Back