The Magua

DerekH

Handsome According to my Mother
I'm not sure if this will be made official or not, but it has been mentioned a time or two that the Magua needs it's own thread as well. I agree with this wholeheartedly, because I see the Magua being one of the best sellers in the TM Hunt lineup after more people get their hands on them. Maybe not right away, but after Blade I have the sneaking suspicion that it will be a bigger hit than the M18 or even the Yuma. Here's why.

8604826238_e4038bf023_b.jpg

(I'll change the picture to a better one once I get some better ones done.)

Everyone needs one. Not wants one, but each and every one of you needs one. You may not know it (yet), but you do. The M18 is a great knife/axe/machete/pancake flipper/bludgeon/draw knife. The Yuma is a fantastic bush and field knife. The Hornet is superb as a tiny box opener and tool that won't intimidate the sheeple. But how often do we need to take down a tree or skin a deer? Most of our daily cutting work is relegated to smaller, inconsequential tasks that most don't even think about because they fly so low under the radar. Opening a package, a box, a letter, cutting tape, cutting paper (because really, who wants to go find a pair of scissors?), all of these things are done by most of us without a second thought because we do them all the time. Few of us are able to carry a larger knife because let's face it, people around us are easily intimidated and the media is constantly making things worse for the rational thinking individual, and can you really justify carrying an M18 in the office? Would you want to? I like to travel light, especially during the work day. So, if we look at all the things we usually need a knife or cutting tool for during the day, most of them can be handled, and handled well, by the Hornet.

But what about the things that it can't do?

Numerous outdoorsmen have discussed at length that you never really need to cut anything thicker than your wrist. For shelters, fires, traps, etc... you really don't need anything bigger. The Magua can do that. If you have a good steak, and I mean a good huge chunk of flesh that has been cooked perfectly, do you picture a one-inch-thick piece of gristle and leather, or do you picture a two-inch-thick piece of perfectly seared and bleeding in the middle pile of cow? Magua can cut that. Sure, it can open a letter or a box, and feel like an extension of your hand doing it, but it does so much more. I had to make a hole for an outlet box the other day in some drywall. While the Hornet would have been long enough in terms of blade length, it doesn't have enough handle to get a good enough grip to really do that kind of work. The Magua does. And it worked so well that I never even remembered that I had a drywall saw in my tool bag. I just plain didn't need it.

With the right sheath I could wear it around my neck and forget it is there. Or in my pocket. Behind my wallet. On the belt, in any fashion I want that makes it easier to get to. It isn't that big and doesn't need that much space, but when it comes time to get to work, it can handle it all and then some.

I love big knives. Love them. Nothing makes you feel as awesome as swinging a giant hunk of steel, yet when it comes down to it, is that what you need? Not me. Not in the daily things I have to do, or the situations I generally find myself in. What you need is a knife that has enough handle to allow a good grip, and enough blade to do the job, and that my friends in the Magua. A perfectly contoured handle that makes it melt in your palm. Enough point to poke or drill the tiniest of holes, but enough blade behind it to make something bigger if you need to. A smooth, flowing edge that cuts all day long without getting hung up or leaving you wishing for something else. Jimping enough to keep it from slipping if your hands are sweaty or bloody, but not so much that it tears your hand up if you have to use it for awhile. It wouldn't have booted a ZT 0560 out of my pocket, or replaced my Kershaw Blur, or put the behemoth that is my Pohl Force Alpha Two back in it's box if it didn't do something right, and this knife, this 7.5 inch piece of steel and G10 does it all right.

Look at that picture up there. Look at it. Smooth, flowing lines and curves, and a point that screams at you to stab it into something. Todd didn't reinvent the wheel here people, he refined it into it's purest form. Nothing you don't need, and everything you do.

Go get one.

Damn you're windy. :D Nice blade indeed.

So, are you saying you like the knife? ;) JK, thanks Derek for the great insight. You described it perfectly I think. I didnt invent anything here. I just tried to make a usefull tool. Nothing that you dont need, and plenty of what you do. for a reasonable price. There is a lot of these floating around out there and I never took pictures of all of them, but if we make this the official Magua thread (and I think we should) I will post some pics of ones of the past as soon as I dig them out.

Here's some pics of some older ones I dug out of photobucket
2012-11-24105945.jpg
2012-09-25170148.jpg
2012-05-05174408.jpg
2013-01-19085048.jpg
2013-01-19085126.jpg
2012-02-03191710_zpsf304d310.jpg

Last edited:
If, by some slim chance there's a Magua left after blade, put me on the list. Man, I am falling in love with that hunk of steel.

I'm not sure why I just stumbled on this thread, must be like the Maguas itself is to me, elusive. Good damned review D. Glad we finally found something you DO like!

Of course, my favorite thing to do is come up with ideas and post 'em without running them by the boss..
What if, maybe, on the off chance we come home with any blades, we fire sell 'em/1st I'll take it kinda thing, or something? Just spitballing here..I'm sure you-know-who will tell me it's a terrible idea. (disclaimer; if it's a horrible idea, forget I said anything. :D)

It's a great idea, to me. Although, I honestly hope you guys sell out at Blade, because that would be an awesome boost to the business.

It's a great idea, to me. Although, I honestly hope you guys sell out at Blade, because that would be an awesome boost to the business.

i doubt you will have any left after blade! ;) just thinking positive.

I hope for the same thing, fellas. Todd's been kicking ass for several months now, and we'll definitely have a table full. We started the website in August of last year, and look where he's at now. Things are flying by..I, of course, am optimistic.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics...next time I'll try to remember to clean the lens... But Lisa wanted me to post some pics of her Magua, she uses it quite a bit.

You know, going back to read Derek's original post, I'm falling in love with my Magua all over again. He really hit the nail on the head with his description of the Magua's role. He makes a fine sheath as well. I need to start carrying mine again.

Ive been in love with the Magua....D's sheath is quite nice. Is that who made yours? When I get my Magua I want to get some kydex pants for it.

Back