The Missing Pages in the HI Catalog

Over the past couple of days, it's been stated that the HI website is overdue for an update, and we've seen and mentioned several items that are currently not shown there: the Jungle Knife, the Uddha sword, the R-series knives, and the Mountain Bowie. (And of course, the very popular Bonecutter.)
For everyone's benefit, may I suggest that we all contribute some pictures of, and maybe data on, some of these "missing" items here? New customers, I'm sure, would love to see some of these items. And if we do a good enough job, we could make this a "Sticky," until it becomes feasible to update the site.

I hope the Panuti makes it as a reg item,that is one hell of a knife :thumbup:

After poring over old threads, I now have dug up pics for the following:

Bonecutters (3 sizes)
Bura Bowie (2 sizes)
Mountain Bowie
Hasiya Sickle
Jungle Knife
Katunje
Panuti Farmer's Knife
Sherpa Style Khukri (Aka Kancha Kami style)
Tarwar
Vala
"Wajaski" Sword

I just have to come up with the text to go with them. Now, I need to learn more about these "R-series" knives, and come up with photos and text.......

"Any help here would be hot." -- Jar Jar Binks

Good idea, if it weren't for this site I would have never known about the Bonecutter or the Panuti (which is real high on my list at the moment). I know of a few people that own HI products and have never been on this site(bladeforums), everything they know is from the HI website. If I would have found this place a year or two a go I would probably have 3 times as many Khuks, instead of saving for my first "expensive" Ak (it seemed expensive before I got a full blown case of the HIKV). I have since come to appreciate the value of these wonderful blades. I could have started out with a villager blem for half the price and had one a long time a go though.

The DotDs are very, very tempting, to be sure. However, after years of relative broke-ness (I won't dare say, "poverty"), I'll take a certain, perverse pride in paying full price, as soon as I can. For not only will it be a sign that I've at last prospered, but I feel an obligation to be generous with people whose needs are so much greater than mine.

What can I say? I'm a nicer guy than I am a rich one.

I will kindly overhaul HI's site in trade for Khukris. I have a professional web design background. Yangdu, if you're reading this post, please advise on my offer for your consideration. I would love nothing more than to increase your site traffic and future business in honor of a great product and company.

Until then, let's keep gathering info and pics. I need to come up with some descriptions (i.e. nice, juicy advertising blather) for at least 4 khukuris (Bonecutter, Sherpa, Tamang, and Katunje), the R-series knives (R1 through R11), 2 swords ("Wajaski" and Uddha), 2 bowie styles, 4 other knives (Vala, Jungle Knife, D1, and Panuti), and the Hasiya sickle. If we can either compile these from old posts, or write them from scratch, we can put up some simple descriptions of what these ARE, the first step towards getting them sold!

So, to that end, can anyone tell me about some of these items? I've got the Panuti written up pretty well (mostly re-phrasing Yangdu's original post), and the Sherpa won't take long, but I could stand to know more about popular, but unexplained items like the Bonecutter.

Here's the first batch of "un-sited" models I can find, with information. Where Ms. Martino has done a better job than I could, in telling the item's story, I have quoted her directly, in italics.

I AM OPEN TO CORRECTIONS ON THESE!!! If you have any additions, corrections, or contradictions, feel free to express them, so that changes can be made (thank goodness for the "EDIT" button!) They wer done in alphabetical order by model, and frequently lack "stats" or measurements (coming soon).

-------

BHIMSEN MODEL KNIFE
11-10-08%20002.jpg

This unusual, sword-hilted khukuri is another piece of Nepalese history, a replica of the personal weapon of one of Nepal's greatest heroes: Bhimsen Thapa.
Bhimsen became Prime Minister of Nepal in 1775, and held office until 1839. During that time, he contirbuted government and military reforms that remain in place to this day. He also was a prominent participant in the 1816 war against the British...and this is what he carried.
So there you have it: when the British came to India, and fought the Gurkhas for the first time, THIS is the weapon they saw.....and learned to respect.

BONECUTTER
This very popular model is inspired by a model from the now-defunct GK Kukris. A specialty of HI's Sgt Khadka, who is the only kami allowed to make them, this blade is available in a wide variety of sizes.

22" Bonecutter
6-30-08b%20002.jpg

From left: 15" model, 14" model, and 12" model
5-19-09%20004.jpg

Although short and heavy, this khukuri balances very well. The secret: a full tang that thins as it approaches the pommel.
Bonecutter%20011.jpg

The beautiful blade is carefully fullered, achieving some of the forward-weighted chopping power of our popular Ang Kholas along with its excellent balance, and all Bonecutters come extremely sharp, and ready to use.

KATUNJE: "The Yangdu Special"
2-04-09%20003.jpg

Katunje is a neighborhood in Bhaktapur, the ancient city that adjoins Kathmandu. Bhaktapur is Nepal's "City of Culture," and many visitors do not feel that a trip to Nepal is complete without seeing it. Yangdu has family in Katunje, and while visiting Nepal in 2005 (for Uncle Bill's funeral), Yangdu found this kukri, lying unnoticed in one of BirGorkha's shops, and was struck by its graceful form. She decided that since the "Uncle Bill Especial" had been in our catalog for so long, this would be her design. She named it, "Katunje," and now we offer it to you.

SHERPA STYLE KHUKURI (Kancha Kami Replica)
5-01-09%20012.jpg

Once in a while, a Himalayan knife-maker comes along and creates knives
of such beauty and usefulness that
he becomes a legend during his lifetime. One such knife maker was Kancha
Kami, who crafted knives for 60
years before he died in 1992.

He inherited his skill from his ancestral involvement with blacksmithing
and knife making for more than 400
years. During his lifetime, he lived within view of four of the world's
highest mountains, breathing pure air and
drinking clean water that flowed down from Mt. Everest and other
sky-high mountains. His life was simple and
he lived it in a traditional manner with few frills, quietly creating
Khukuris and farm tools.

The land he lived on, 30 miles southwest of Mt. Everest, was hostile and
full of rocks, but he managed to raise
enough crops to keep his growing family of five boys and two girls
well-fed. His fondest desire was to pass his
craftsman's skill on to his sons and, thereby, continuing the tradition
his ancestors founded over 400 years ago.

Part of the tradition he lived everyday, and believed in completely, was
that of his 5 sons joining him in his craft
as they grew old enough to become skilled knife-makers. That was not to
happen. His dream ended when all
of his sons decided to follow easier and better-paying jobs in the
tourist industry.

When I was growing up on my father's ranch, I spent almost every weekend
with Kancha Kami, sitting by the
fire and listening to him tell me stories while he sharpened the knives
from the ranch. He wasn't just a great
knifemaker, but a great storyteller, too, with a sense of humor. I can
still hear him laugh when I think of him.

Whenever someone asked who wanted to go to Kancha Kami's Aaran (his shop)
to get the knives sharpened, I
was always ready to be the one. I believe my father and the sherpas who
worked on the ranch knew that and
only asked to tease me. They would smile at the sight of me jumping up
and down, saying, "I do! I do!" When
they picked me, I would gather up the knives and scurry off to Kancha
Kami's Aaran and a new story.

The only trace to be found today of Kancha Kami's craftsmanship is the
model Himalayan Imports made of his
famed Sherpa knife. Our Kamis have been busy creating exact replicas for
your collections.
---Yangdu Martino

5-01-09%20010.jpg

A Portrait of Kancha Kami

Shree Ten Chandra Samsher
Roof-8120.jpg

"Thrice-Honored Chandra Shamsher," is the translation of this khukuri's name, commemorating the political titan who reigned as Nepal's Prime Minister from 1901 to 1929, "relinquishing" the post only when he died. By his time, the office of PM had become hereditary, and the king's had become largely honorary, making Chandra Shamsher ruler in all but name. Consequently, the many government-issued khukuris issued during this time bore HIS name as an inscription, and not the king's.
This blade is typical of the large, leaf-bladed khukuris of the late 19th- and early 20th centuries (for many of the originals were "gently used" blades, predating the minister's reign).
Overall length -- 21''
Weight --49 oz
Spine thickness --1/2''
White metal bolster, buttcap and tip
Satisal wood handle
Standard leather scabbard

TAMANG KHUKURI
4-07-09t%20001.jpg

While I was in Katmandu, I enjoyed visiting my cousins and having dinner with them. After a great meal and lots of conversation, I decided to say goodnight for the evening.
On my way out I met a couple of older Tamang men in Katmandu for business. They approached me and asked if I "would buy a knife that had been in their family for two generations." They let me examine it and it had a good, sharp blade.
Even though it was a little rusty, it was a good knife and obviously had served its purpose, protecting the men and their families for two generations.
Both men had the same knife and, remembering the Kamis wanted more work, I offered to buy both of them. They declined, explaining that they needed one knife to protect themselves on the trip back to their village.
---Yangdu Martino

YETI HUNTER KNIFE
3-15-09%20007.jpg

A knife with not just an edge, but a story:

When I was a young girl, 13-14 years old, on my father's ranch in Nepal, I would play in the hills above the ranch every weekend I could. I would climb up the mountainside to where the Sherpas(Chauri gothala) protected our Yak herd from the Yetis and wander around.

As a little girl my head was filled with tales of the Yetis and I was always wondering what they were.

All the Sherpa's carried a special knife in case the Yetis attacked the herd. They slept with it under their pillows for protection. I had a 15.5 version that I carried when I was in the hills with the Sherpas. On the ranch, everyone had to be always ready to protect the herd and our family. We all had the Yeti Hunter knife right beside us at all times.

The yetis were always near, but we never saw them. When we would be wandering high up, around 9,000 feet, Yeti tracks could be found in the snow. Sometimes we found a bit of scraggly hair or some other sign of their passing.

When the moon was full, we could hear them howling at the moon all night. Their howls would flow over the mountains and echo in my bedroom. They sounded so close that I would grab my small Yeti Hunter knife and run outside with the hope that I would get to see them.

During thunderstorms, the people on the hills could hear the Yeti howling after each thunder clap. As scary as that sound was I was hoping and hoping to catch a glimpse of those Yetis, but never did. But, I always had my Yeti Hunter knife right beside me, just in case.

These Khukuris are the replica of the old Yeti Hunter's knife used years ago on my father's ranch. This is your opportunity to own one. If you add a Yeti Hunter's knife to your collection you can protect yourself from the Yetis if they should show up.
--Yangdu Martino

-----

So, that's just one page, Khuks only. Swords, knives, and specialty items to come. Please offer suggestions, additions, and changes as you see fit; we're a long way from being ready to make a "sticky" of this.

Last edited:
My thanks to Karda for directing me to some of this information. I've made many of the changes, but there's still stuff missing: I have no explanation, for example, of what a "Katunje" is. (I hear it's the name of a village.)

The Bonecutters need some more pictures, both a close-up of the blade, and something about the, "Baby Bonecutter." And I need to add stats to just about everything.

Back