The Missing Pages in the HI Catalog

Nicholas if you're looking for odd ones and the like I have one out of five ever made very unique H.I. Khukuri's.
It's a *WW II* blade with a *Hanuman handle,* the old style when the Hanuman was a much smaller and more manageable size than it is now and with a partial tang with no pin to ensure it stays on.The kamis somehow got it backwards as to what Uncle Bill wanted and ordered which was a *Hanuman Blade* with a *WW II* handle..... which would'a made one helluva khukuri, still would actually.;) :thumbup: :cool: :D

I was very lucky to cabbage onto the one I got as they didn't last long at all considering the mistake, but of course I doubt they would'a lasted very long if the kamis hadn't of made a mistake either.;)

If it's one that you think oughta be on the H.I. Website I'll try to get around fairly soon when/if I'm having a halfway decent day and get some pics of it and post them. If not then I won't bother with it until things settle down for me sometime in the future if they do.....:thumbup:

No rush: in the past 2 weeks, I've found 3 or 4 more things that I'd forgotten to put on this thread, much less re-organized for the site! When I get those last few, we can talk re-organization. After all, unless we want to add a Bloopers! page, I'm not sure where we'd put a memorable "mistake"!

I'll get those last few, some time this week. Then it's on to re-organizing, if you're willing......

Just found this:

BuraBhajra.JPG

Now would you look at this! It's called the Bura Bhajra and it's about as good as any short sword you'll see. She weighs in at 27 ounces and is 19 inches overall length. The blade excellently done as you might be able to see is also excellently engraved with 4 auspicious signs from Buddhist religious art. The handle, beautiful chandan, is excellently carved by, I'm sure, the Newari Carving Man. And, I believe the engraving was done by Bura's oldest son. Looks like he has improved considerably since I was him work in 2000. I'm not sure about the motif on the handle -- I think it's a rendition of Black Bhairab -- but I just ain't sure. In case you want this baby it's $245 and probably worth twice that much. UBBB++++++++++++++

8-17-04deals.JPG

29 inch 35 Ounce Nepali Tarwar by Bura. Perfect $145.00 UBBB

21 inch 27 Ounce new Kobra by Bura. Another perfect rig take it for $95.00

22 inch 31 Ounce Dui Cherra by Bura. Small chipped in handle otherwise pretty good Khukuri. $150.00 UBBB

20 inch 29 Ounce movie model by bura. Perfect $95.00

17 inch 26 Ounce Ganga Ram with beautiful carved horn handle by Bura. $150.00 UBBB

Last edited:
I don't know if the "new" Kobra counts as a different model, but it's definitely interesting. Almost an anorexic pen knife.

I also found this:

12-14-04-2.JPG

Beautifully done 30 inch 34 ounce sword by Bura which he calls the "Guru Nana Sword." Really nice rig. Excellent chandan handle. 5 minutes rust removal at tip. $195 UBBB++

I'm going off of memory here so I apologize for any repeats. I swear there are HI Butterfly Swords somewhere but I haven't found them yet...

I swear there are HI Butterfly Swords somewhere but I haven't found them yet...

This little gem was in the 2nd day of xmas DOTD 2008 :

12-02-08%20004.jpg

12-02-08%20006.jpg

12-02-08%20008.jpg

BUTTERFLY SWORD BY ROYAL KAMI BURA

Overall length --22''
Weight --27 oz
Spine thickness --3/8''
White metal gaurd, bolster and buttcap
US purplewood handle
Leather scabbrd with brass tip
Fine work by Bura

Nicholas, I want to thank you for the good and informative work you've done. After reading the memorial posts for Uncle Bill, I decided to read the archives-which is where my head is at when not checking the DOTD. This thread has given me something visual to relate to many of the models I've been reading about. You have impressed me with the work you've done only being here six months. Kudos and thanks again.

Rick

Bura was the only kami when given free rein decided to make something unique and here it is. The work is excellent on both sword and scabbard. I'm especially impressed with the scabbard. The seams look factory manufactured. I don't know how this old guy does it.

As you can see the handle is unique and very well done. Blade finely executed. very nicely fullered, straight -- all the signs of being made by a master.

Length is 31.5 inches and weight is 18.3 ounces -- light and very fast. Easy to handle.

The only problem with this unique, one of a kind, Bura Special Sword is rust. Left side is rusted pretty badly. If you have a buffing wheel you can bring the finish back to new in 30 minutes. If you're doing it by hand my guess is you are looking at 3 or 4 hours.

Ordinarily I'd charge about $200 for this rig because that's what it's worth. Because of the rust I'll knock off $75 and deliver it to your door for $125 and that is still an UBBB.

18 inch 25 ounce new model by Kumar which he calls a "Chaindadi" Perfect rig. UBBB for collectors @ $95

Anyone know what this one was?

Last edited:
Nicholas, I want to thank you for the good and informative work you've done. After reading the memorial posts for Uncle Bill, I decided to read the archives-which is where my head is at when not checking the DOTD. This thread has given me something visual to relate to many of the models I've been reading about. You have impressed me with the work you've done only being here six months. Kudos and thanks again.

Rick

Thank you; it isn't easy. There are limits to how many pictures we can put into one post, so edits and additions can be a bit tricky: you have to take an item out of the old post, replace it with the new one, and shuffle the old one into the next post!

Discussion is underway for a full re-organization of the site (ShadowChaserUFP, please drop me an email), so we may be able to get around that soon....probably by starting a new thread. So keep your eyes peeled!

Re-reading this post I was wondering if the Sherpa knife is still being made. I've never seen one DOTDed. Not all the pictures came up for me. Can anybody post a pic of the Panuti?

I might have missed it, but is the Falcata in there anywhere?

There's also the Panjabi Churi (Yangdu's pics):
PANJABICHURI04.jpg

PANJABICHURI01.jpg

PANJABICHURI02.jpg

PANJABICHURI03.jpg

wow, that's really impressive. Was that made by the Kamis at HI?
just out of curiosity, how much would one of those go for?

wow, that's really impressive. Was that made by the Kamis at HI?
just out of curiosity, how much would one of those go for?

Yes, it was made by H.I. kamis.
They were selling for about $150 in 2007.
If you are interested in getting one, simply email Auntie Yangdu for a current price quote.

Back