The "Name that Plant" Game

I guess mewolf has disappeared again, so..................

This is a common shrub/small tree and an invasive plant, at least up here.

quiz4.png

This species can be distinguished from its other siblings by often having spines at the tips of the twigs.

quiz3z.jpg

(BTW, these are not my pictures).

The identifying features I look for are:
- opposite or nearly so, leaves
- leaf veins that curve towards the tip
- leaf margin is finely toothed

quiz2y.jpg

- usually is well laden with small black fruit, that remain well into the winter, making you wonder why the birds aren't eating them.(but apparently some birds and some mammals do eat them).

Other identifying features:
- will grow to 20-25 feet high

The fruit and bark are considered potentially toxic. The fresh bark or berries can be violently laxative and may irritate the skin or mucous membranes. It is used medicinally for its laxative qualities. Deaths in children from eating berries, have been reported.

I have found the bark, at least from the young shrubs, to be flammable, though not as much as Birch (Betula spp.) or Cherry (Prunus spp.)

youngbark2.jpg

Have fun! :D

Doc

Sorry guys, I stepped away from the go-box for a few days...

This one should be an easy one. This plant is found throughout most of the temperate and sub-tropical climes of not only N.America, but the world. Native range unclear. It can certainly be poisonous to humans, and consuming even small amounts of it produces hallucinogenic results.

232323232%7Ffp63268%3Enu%3D3349%3E%3B93%3E292%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3A758%3A57%3B337nu0mrj

Datura belongs to the Solanceae. Some common names are: Devil's Trumpet, Devil's Weed, Moonflower, Thorn Apple....

Around here, they are self-seeding annuals that come back every year...

Let's see what plant pics I have! stay tuned....

Ok, here we go. I have been harvesting this one this time of year.

med_1258395993-mugwort_03opt.jpg

In Summer

med_1258396044-DSCN2017.JPG

In Fall

This variety is a California native, but belongs to a large genus.

It is a woody-stemmed perennial.
The dry, fragrant leaves of autumn are harvested.

Used as a smoke additive mix for pipes, it has calmative properties.
Used medicinally for eons.
One of my hero's, John Muir, would occasionally munch some before embarking on dangerous adventures...

med_1258396068-DSCN2022.JPG
med_1258396104-DSCN2024.JPG

Rolling the dried leaves in your palm creates a lint-like fluff that I use for a sweet smelling tinder (secret!). It creates a large, hot coal!

It is always on my person when I'm out!

Well, yes and no.

It is an Artemisia, but not the A.absinthium used in Absinthe. A.absinthium is native to Africa and Eurasia, not California. It has a glaucus/powdery blue color and grows in erect stems with smaller leaves.

Wormwood is a generic term used for many species in this family,
this particular grouping goes by a different name completely though...;)

Well, yes and no.

It is an Artemisia, but not the A.absinthium used in Absinthe. A.absinthium is native to Africa and Eurasia, not California. It has a glaucus/powdery blue color and grows in erect stems with smaller leaves.

Wormwood is a generic term used for many species in this family,
this particular grouping goes by a different name completely though...;)

Artemisia genus contains between 200 and 400 species. It's going to take a Californian to help out here.

Not necessarily, the second grouping exists all over, England as well.

Although, this particular variety is Californian, but I was just looking for the other common grouping, but since you got the genus, should I just say it?

Last edited:
Not necessarily, the second grouping exists all over, England as well.

Although, this particular variety is Californian, but I was just looking for the other common grouping, but since you got the genus, should I just say it?

Artemisia californica ? :) I don't know, it's a tough one for me because I'm not real good at annuals and perennials. I'm more of a woody plants person. Maybe give it a few more days.

It's not only in California.

It is a woody stemmed perennial.
It only drops its leaves in the winter, but the shrubby sticks remain....

Riparian areas and oak woodlands is where you'll find it....

It is known throughout history as a versatile medicinal. It soothes rashes.
It also makes a great smudge for repelling pests...

Lets bring this back again.

This plant probably was done already, but I don't remember so I'll do it again..

There are many subspecies of this plant, and they are found everywhere. It is native to North America, Europe, Asia, and Africa. So most of us here should be able to identify it.
It is edible, drinkable, medicinal, and makes good cordage. We all should know this plant.

Who ever names it, please post a pic and a description of another plant so we can keep this going!

Back