The new Condor Dadao

Yeah like I said it's otherwise a great sword--the welded on stainless ring pommel just kills me though. What's the point of forging a ring pommel only to weld it on? Why did it even need to be stainless?

img0004cmp.jpg

wow, i really hate the tang on that thing... i am a full tang or nothing kinda guy

I think that the tang is actually pretty impressive on it--it's just the pommel that's lacking. The full profile tang on the Condor is definitely stronger though.

a full tang means i can still use the weapon if (unlikely) i manage to break the scales off... that thin little tang would stop you dead.

Well the scales are epoxied on, wrapped in cord, and then wrapped in leather, so even if you cracked the wood it's not going far! And the sharp edges of a full profile tang mating flush with the scales would stop you dead, too. ;)

True enough :)

i'll just go on to admit that it has little to do with functionality and everything to do with my overt and often illogical bias toward full tang weapons

I don't own ONE that's not full tang :p

True enough :)

i'll just go on to admit that it has little to do with functionality and everything to do with my overt and often illogical bias toward full tang weapons

I don't own ONE that's not full tang :p

You own two or three then? :D :D :D

Yes there's a lot of bias in the modern knife community towards full-profile tangs. Part of this is because so many hidden tang production pieces do it wrong, resulting in weak points at the blade/tang junction or using overly narrow tangs. A properly formed hidden tang is incredibly strong, but is also more difficult to make than a full profile tang.

I've been on bladeforums goin on 2 years now... so yeah, i guess i might own 2 or 3 knives ;)

I actually have a knife allowance agreement with my wife. I might have a bit of a problem, but i think a few more knives might be the cure? :confused:

I'll try to remember! Feel free to pester me via PM or email to keep checking on availability. :D

Might be a good idea

I know there's a few things I want order from you- all at once though

Love those giant old hickories

I finally had time to snap a few pics of this bad mofo today. I haven't had too much time to use it, but it really packs a wallop. In my very brief testing, it out chopped the Cold Steel two handed khukuri with zero effort. It might help if I sharpened the two handed khukuri.... It still has the factory edge and it's pretty dull. It has an extremely small effective chopping edge compared to the Dynasty though. I tried to get a few pics of what I mean by rough fit and finish. My tip arrived rounded off, but being that this sword is a designated beater, I wasn't too concerned with it. Besides, I can sharpen a tip back onto it. Overall, this is a great value sword. Money well spent!

Sorry guys, no video from me. It's hard enough just to take pics!!

With the Golok:
IMG_4891-Copy.jpg

One handed swing... wasn't really trying here:
IMG_4892-Copy.jpg

Another haphazard one handed swing:
IMG_4898.jpg

IMG_4893-Copy.jpg

IMG_4894.jpg

IMG_4895.jpg

IMG_4896.jpg

Nice pictures, weather sucked this weekend for me. Didn't get to beat mine up yet. Yea mine is strictly a fun purchase, don't see myself taking into woods. Well actually maybe to give hippies nightmares. I may wrap handle just to add a little thickness. A little too thin feeling for my taste.

I Definitely look forward to getting one to beat on

Wonder what the heck condor had in mind when the decided to make it...
Who cares though- it's awesome

I Definitely look forward to getting one to beat on

Wonder what the heck condor had in mind when the decided to make it...
Who cares though- it's awesome

So their "Swords" category had more than the Bush Cutlass. Sword/machete hybrids are becoming a popular class in both the backyard cutting realm (cheaper than replica types) and outdoorsmen (as modern hunting swords/utility-weapons)

My Condor Dadao arrived 30 minutes ago. It looks...superb! It's whopper and... very sharp! A full-tang beast.

So their "Swords" category had more than the Bush Cutlass. Sword/machete hybrids are becoming a popular class in both the backyard cutting realm (cheaper than replica types) and outdoorsmen (as modern hunting swords/utility-weapons)

As a backyard chopper, a sword like this is awesome but I have to admit that hunting with a sword sounds incredibly difficult!

As a backyard chopper, a sword like this is awesome but I have to admit that hunting with a sword sounds incredibly difficult!

Well most stick with MUCH smaller and lighter blades than this monster

Gladius typed ones seem to be well loved by some(heck me aswell)

Well most stick with MUCH smaller and lighter blades than this monster

Gladius typed ones seem to be well loved by some(heck me aswell)

Don't get me wrong, I love huge knives, but when I think of a hunting knife, it's generally around 5"! When fortytwoblades said hunting sword, all I could think of was some guy hiding behind a tree, waiting to behead his quarry! Lol!! I can't imagine trying to skin an animal with this beast. I'd much rather use a small blade for that. It sure is fun to swing though.

Hunting using ONLY a sword WOULD be difficult! :p Hunting swords were used primarily for dispatching wounded game, as well as light machete duties like clearing areas for bowshots. They'd work well for hog hunting, too, though. :)

Hunting using ONLY a sword WOULD be difficult! :p Hunting swords were used primarily for dispatching wounded game, as well as light machete duties like clearing areas for bowshots. They'd work well for hog hunting, too, though. :)

Well, that makes a lot more sense to me. My only experiences with hunting involved a lot of hiking with my rifle slung over my shoulder and adding a sword into the mix doesn't sound all the great. I think I would take the Golok instead.

Back