The next one! (Or, a great fighter thread)

This Purna blade is from 2015 or so, so this is one of his older HI blades.

Found my old posting when i bought it,

18 inch 20 ounce Chainpuri Knife from Chainpur. Wood handle and sheath. Beautiful knife at $100. *SOLD*

I will, we are getting slammed snow wise here in the NE so been busy at work.

My chainpuri is not an Hi per se but i talked to yangdu and it is a chainpuri picked out by them as meeting hi chainpuri requirements. I will measure it and take some pics for you.

Apparently from time to time they have chainpuris and other khuks that they find meet HI standards so mine is one of them but it really is awesome and yangdu approved.
Found my old posting when i bought it,

18 inch 20 ounce Chainpuri Knife from Chainpur. Wood handle and sheath. Beautiful knife at $100. *SOLD*

that looks just like one I bought!
Beautiful craftsmanship!

Thanks Red, appreciate it! Great stuff.

Mr A: Wow! That's a work of art!

I am beginning to love the Chainpuri! Thanks to folks like you, RedEagle and Scara! Seems too pretty to use! Perhaps this one deserves to be a show piece...it's heirloom material for sure!

for a fighter it is perfect, that and, a sirupati , and a 17.5 inch 22 ounce Cherokee Rose by Kumar. Satisal wood handle, 17 inch tin chirra, 15 foxy folly

rose

tin chirra

sirupati

foxy folly

So the 18.5" Purna Chainpuri is finally in my hands (and head, and heart) and boy was it worth the (12 day to India - Reno-Clearwater-Memphis-Paris-New Delhi-Pune) wait. As soon as it was in my hands I knew straight off it would be a serious contender for my affection, and in real danger of dislodging my CAK and M-43 from their exalted pedestal.

Thanks to Auntie first and foremost, she is the best. Kudos to Purna for a beautifully crafted piece of art...this is the prettiest, lightest (23 oz.), fastest and most graceful khukuri in my admittedly modest collection. More later in a separate thread with an objective review.

Thanks again to everyone who weighed in on this fighter thread!

Edit: given its gorgeous aesthetics, its distinctive horn handle, slender blade and perfect single fuller on either side (plus checkerwork on handle/ring, embellishments on blade) I've had no choice but to decide this Chainpuri is show quality and will probably never be used, unless it's called upon to defend the owner, which I'm confident it's highly capable of (lightning quick and looks more like a Kobra). I have no qualms about relegating it to "museum queen" status. This one is destined to be regarded with envious eyes.

Edit 2: Needless to add, I highly recommend getting one, if you're interested in a light fighter that also gives you great pleasure just holding it in your hands. It is unfortunately not featured on the HI website and may be under-rated, but perhaps this only adds to its undeniable charm.

Last edit: Some say the Chainpuri is a ceremonial knife at best. Perish the thought, this Purna with its stabby point (the pointest among my HIs) and shaving sharp edge is potentially lethal, and deceptively so. It may possess amazing grace - but it's a man-stopper.

Last edited:
Afterjust over a week of practice with the Chainpuri perhaps it is time to request a standalone page for this model on Himalayan-Imports.com?

"The Chainpuri is quick and agile which could make it a favourite of martial artists. Excellently balanced. Light but still strong enough to do a heavy day's work. Scrollwork and brass inlay along back of blade add to the beauty of this already magnificent blade."

Thoughts?

The page has been kept as it was during Uncle Bill's time as a tribute to him, which is why the page lacks a lot of the models they've been making.

If you got this far you should know that my "Chainpuri" is actually a Panchthar Chitlangi. See my (rather lengthy) last post under the thread "Pretty, lethal: Panchthar Chitlangi".

Fighter? Hard to beat the Kobra/Reti. Recently found one that I thought had been lost. At 18" and 12 ounces, it dances in the hand. Even my eight-year-old daughter thinks it is light.

39375542514_79f17b17df_c.jpg

Aw, your daughter's a real cutie.

An 18" Kobra at 12 Oz. Now that is something.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Back