The nine pound bancharos. Little story.

I asked Gelbu to assign a kami to make a few bancharos. What did I want? The same thing the kami would make in the village for local use. Result: Sanu make four 4 KG, almost 9 pound! bancharos. Gelbu: Isn't that a little big? Sanu: That's what we use in my village. End result. Back into the forge with the 9 pounders to convert them to one pounders. You can't win.

Personally, I don't think I've ever seen an axe that weight 9 pounds -- a sledge yes but axe no. Sanu must have some Paul Bunyons in his village.

Bottom line, we may get a few one pound hatchets which should tell us something about what to expect if the hawks ever come out of BirGorkha.

------------------
Blessings from the computer shack in Reno.

Uncle Bill
Himalayan Imports Website
Khukuri FAQ
Himalayan Imports Archives (33,000 + posts)
Himalayan Imports Shopping Site

LMAO!! Awwww, c'mon Uncle Bill. I could use one of those nine-pounders to go with my thirteen pound axe. As a trainer, y'know, something light.
wink.gif

:
DAYUM!!!!!!!
No, that's not an axe. This is an AXE!!!!
biggrin.gif

I bet those would have been one helluva splitting tool Bro!!!!
I think our maul weighs 8 Lbs and it's designed especially for splitting wood, or anything else that should get in its way.
And IIRC the one advertised as a "Monster Maul" goes somewhere around 13 Lbs.

And if Mccid has a 13 Lb Axe I believe he will qualify for the Paul Bunyon status as well!!!!
biggrin.gif

I certainly wouldn't want him angry at me!!!!
biggrin.gif

And on the other hand he may have been able to of handled one of the original 600 Lb Super, Super Salyans.
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
Yvsa.

"VEGETARIAN".............
Indin word for lousy hunter.

Well, I handle the axe pretty well, though it was easier when I was 80lbs. heavier. I go on chopping excusions weilding a two pound khuk in each hand and have no prob.

Yet sat. morning I threw my back out for the first time. How, you ask? Was I lifting a car off a trapped child, or carrying someone from a burning building? Perhaps I was building a log cabin by myself. No, I was standing in the kitchen, washing dishes. That's right, I throw around an axe heavy enough to split wood with a flat edge, but scrubbing a fork puts me out of commision.
redface.gif

I've come to the conclusion that I'm not such a big fan of irony.
wink.gif

"Gelbu: Isn't that a little big?
Sanu: That's what we use in my village.
"
Uncle Bill I only know of the Kamis through
this forum and the HI FAQ, but they have a
warm spot in my heart
smile.gif

------------------
The khukuri village idiot

Wow. If the cost hadn't been prohibitive, I would have been interested. I like heavy training tools. (My favorite staff is canvas Micarta instead of wood- and about 3x as heavy.)

Mccld778, I've heard of people throwing their backs out by merely sneezing. I had a psychology teacher who told us about how a friend of hers, a powerlifter, threw his back out while sneezing. It is (and was)caused by the twisting motion people do when they turn to the side as they sneeze. So don't feel so embarassed by what happened (and hope you get well soon).

Bob

------------------
The Milk Snake: Beautiful, harmless, good-natured, eats venomous snakes for lunch.

That's odd. We use axes like that in my village, too, but only to chop down the ... I don't know what you call those trees in your language ... well, roughly translated, gianttallevilbloodsuckingvampiretrees. You need a good heavy axe for them ... you don't want to take on a gianttallevilbloodsuckingvampiretree with a little axe.

------------------
-Cougar :{)
Use of Weapons

P.S. Just where is Sanu's village? Also, can someone post a picture of his mark? Don't just tell me what it looks like to you ... if I had listened to how people described it and never seen a pic for myself I would never have figured out what that "butter lamp" really is....

------------------
-Cougar :{)
Use of Weapons

Uncle Bill,

I would probably be interested, depending upon cost and delivery date. Any pix available?

Thanks for your time.

Funny thread! Good stuff.

Paul

------------------
Paul Neubauer
prn@bsu.edu
A tool is, basically, an object that enables you to take advantage of the laws of physics and mechanics in such a way that you can seriously injure yourself.

Actually I'm not surprised by the size of the banchero's Sanu made. I watched my own father split up huge (30in+) hardwood blocks with 15 and 20 pound splitting mauls all day long growing up. We call them 'Go-Devils'. Not sure why. Never seen him use a wedge and hammer. Tried a powered wood splitter but it was too slow. Nine pounds sounds about right for a short, stout Nepali.

Patrick

I am not sure where Sanu came from but it must have been in high country where they still have some trees to take down.

Shipping cost is a very real consideration. We use only UPS express or ems and I think the cost is about 7 bucks per pound in the weight range we ship. So, $60 or 70 bucks just to get the axes to Reno.

I wandered around Nepal quite a bit and saw the small bancharos (hatchets) being used but never saw a 9 pound axe being used. I was surprised but they must be there or Sanu would not have made them.

But, we should be seeing some one pounders soon.

Thanks for input. I've never seen a 20 pound maul, either. Still learning.

------------------
Blessings from the computer shack in Reno.

Uncle Bill
Himalayan Imports Website
Khukuri FAQ
Himalayan Imports Archives (33,000 + posts)
Himalayan Imports Shopping Site

Thanks Bob, it's nice to know it didn't happen by the absolute lamest method possible
smile.gif
And, I'm mostly mobile again. No workouts with or without khuks yet, but my good friend Motrin has me being productive.
Now I need some real meds, the shiny and sharp kind.
biggrin.gif

I nearly fell out my chair when I first read that story.

The trouble with a 9-lb hand axe is that you can only use it for one thing . . . can't imagine trying to drop a tree with that. My rotator cuff hurts just thinking about it. But then, if you have a khukuri who needs an axe for anything else?

I have been playing around with a sketch/design for a hawk that I think will improve on a traditional tomahawk. If I can finally get around to buying a scanner in the next few weeks I'll see if I can post it and see what the crew thinks of it.

Mac,

Don't feel bad about how you threw your back out. I actually threw mine out once picking up a pencil from the floor... backs are funny beasts once they get injured.

I can go all month carrying a 40lb camera bag on one shoulder (very bad... it is why most photographers walk tilted
smile.gif
) and be ok. Then throw my back out by reaching down to pat my puppy on the head.

However, getting shiny sharp curvy things in the mail is a definite (though temporary) fix. Repeated treatments are necessary to reamain pain free
biggrin.gif

Alan

Swinging a 30" Sirupati seems to yank and stretch my back and loosen things so they can go back into place. It has either saved me from needing to see the chiropractor or allowed me some relief until she can see me.

Of course Hawthorne is down in population to a little above 2,000 people and all the cops above the rank of peon know me so I can go and swing it in the driveway, but occassionally I do get the odd look. It's nothing like 20 years ago at the foot of the Reno/Carson highway and the road to Virginia City when a friend and I were talking out front of his house and he was getting the mail out of the mailbox, and a car with two couples and New York plates drove by gawking at about 15 miles an hour cause my friend was packing a 45 Ruger single action on his hip.

PS: things change - now he wears a Colt 45 auto concealed.

[This message has been edited by Rusty (edited 06-15-2001).]

Back