The Ocelot~ Finally

I just got my first Ocelot. I have had and still have most of Tim Wegner's blades from Spyderco and Blade-Tech both. But this Ocelot is a home run over the center field wall with men on base. This folder is as close to being a a perfect folder as I have seen in a while. From an ergonomic standpoint the only other Spyder I can put up to it would be the JD Smith which is another blade I have an immense amount of respect for.

Very rarely do I get a new Spyderco in my collection and then have it jump right into the top 10 on my list but this Ocelot has done it easily. There is literally no fault that I can find thus far with this blade. I guess there really is no such thing as PERFECT>> But this come pretty close. My hat is off to Mr. Wegner and Mr. Glesser both. A big, big thumbs up for you gentlemen. LONG LIVE THE OCELOT :cool:

I agree completely. I have the C48 and the Blade Tech pro hunter and lite versions and the little Ocelot out qualities them all. Fantastic design and splendid execution.

Only problem is it's almost too nice to use!

Without a doubt, the Ossie is the knife of the year for 2005. I still can't believe the fit and finish on this knife. And then there's the ergonomics... the feel... the blade shape... the look...

With the exception of combo-edge models, I'll buy every version of the Ocelot family that comes out. Come on, Liger! Let's go, Tabby!

I would like to see a pic comparining the Ocelot to the Ganyana.

The Ganyana is:

• Blade Steel S30V (Flat ground)
• Blade Length 2 3/4"
• Blade Thickness 1/8”
• Overall Closed Length 3 3/8"
• Overall Open Length 6 3/4”
• Blade-Tech V-Hole
• Precision D-Nut “Torx” Head Blade Pivot
• Weight 2.6 oz.
• Ambidextrous tip up only Pocket Clip
attached with Phillips screws.
• Black G-10

The Ocelot is:

• length overall 7 9/16"
• blade length 3 1/4"
• blade steel VG-10
• length closed 4 7/16"
• cutting edge 2 5/8" (67 mm)
• weight 4.1 oz (116 g)
• hole diameter 1/2"
• blade thickness 1/8" (3 mm)
• handle material G-10

I'm going to get both. Question is... which one first.

Hey shootist16 I know you like the Wegners.I have both the CE and PE Ocalot and I must say that the Ocalot is the best Wegner design yet.
BTW did you work that Monster truck show,bigest waste of time and money I have done so far this year.My son liked it though.

All this praise makes me curious. However, I really don't like the pawprints, and I wish it were flat ground. I'll probably end up getting one anyway.

Shootist....This is a Spyderco forum so of course you should buy the Ocelot. Seriously it's as sweet as sugar. The handle with extended choil is extremely comfortable and nimble. Best I have ever handled (excuse the pun).

I'd like flat ground for an all around knife but for game processing the hollow ground is very nice.

As for the paw prints... a stream of hot water will clean them, they help the grip and they give the knife a huge chunk of charisma.

I like the paw prints, but I also like the proto design better-compression lock and all.

Anybody else miss the "Alaskan Tough" ads for the old wegner?

just got one myself, very sharp and very well made. Almost hesistate to EDC it. Maybe I'll get another one and store it away. :)

56138159.jpg

Ocelot and the mini Persian:

56135380.jpg

The Ocelot is the bomb. One of the top knives I've bought in the last 20 years. Its my number one fave also.

STR

I gotta have one of those too. I handled on a couple weeks ago and thought it had a superb feel. The paw prints give it a nice aesthetically pleasing touch I think. Interesting how Spyderco can have such understated, unique, yet functional knives.

I just got my second Ocelot. The biggest problem I am having so far is that I can't bring myself to use either one of them because they are so nice looking. So now I will have to get a 3rd one so I got an EDC OCELOT. Every collection should have a PE and a CE both just simply out of respect for a masterpiece of a knife design.

The OCELOT simply takes the cake. It is not often that I get blown away so quickly by a new model like I have this one. It reminds me of when I got my first Massad Ayoob Spyder. There are very few knives that make it to my top 10 like those 2 knives did. Great JOB by the Great Spyder Factory :thumbup:

Alright now, you guys are making me put this on the top of my "next-to-buy" list. I was just taking my time waiting for the ZDP delica.

After holding a prototype at the Amsterdam Spyderco gathering last year and a little brainwashing by STR I had to buy myself an Ocelot and received it yesterday. Fit and finish are flawless as foretold.
I will EDC it for a couple of weeks to see if it can replace my Manix 80 as my main EDC. I will have to get used to the size of the knife and the shape of the handle. My thumb must still learn to find the hole a little bit faster for comfort. Time will tell.

Even I like the Ocelot, and it's normally not the kind of knife I'd buy.

Very well made, and cool looking as well.:cool:

Back