The Official Lanyard Thread

Ordered this almost 2 months ago and finally came in! Had to go a little nerdy on this one and got a warhammer 40k space marine helmet:)
YUBWrlN.jpg

Here's one of two knives that I grabbed from my PO last week on the way to Vermont, modded up there, and added beaded lanyards as well.

This was a like-new 550HG Grip from the Exchange in discontinued 154CM, a steel I'm quite fond of for ease of sharpening and keenness. I bought the Kevin Wilkins flame-anodized Ti scales to replace the stock Noryl handle and the bead from the Artsy-Craftsy site. I originally replaced the stock clip with a Parkerized black split arrow, but switched to the satin Wilkins deep-carry as it seemed a better match. The black 550 is tied with two single Crown and Diamond Knots.

qsk1sq5.jpg

vvnUbFS.jpg

lNuTNZC.jpg

Last edited:
The other knife and scale retrieved from my home PO on the way out of town headed to our Vermont woods last week--a like-new RHK 3.5" XM-18 Skinny Sheepsfoot in 20CV.

I'd long-lusted for both that model and a red G10 Hinderer scale. My frugal side allowed the knife to remain un-sold overnight on the Exchange when it showed up in a familiar delaying tactic, but when it surprisingly lasted overnight I jumped on it in the morning, figuring that a sign that I was meant to have it. :rolleyes: I re-scaled and tuned the the knife up north and added a lanyard with this giant Ti beehive sorta bead I've had kicking around. I tied up a False Turks Head (Diamond) knot each side to more closely match the bead size, though I'm not really concerned with the bead banging up the knife as Hinderer coarse stonewash is extremely wear-hiding as well as being a favorite finish.

JRj2Idq.jpg

5wAWYKs.jpg

I really like the size, shape, and location of XM-18 lanyard holes as they're stupidly easy to thread, the slotted shape allows for easy movement/hang, and the location forward along the handle spine keeps the cord both out of the way and matches the clip penetration in pocket.

I've been practicing a new knot lately while I wait for my Jekyll to Hyde backspacer to arrive for my new-to-me large Sebenza 31 Natural Micarta. This one's from Tim at WoE and is his Wide Diamond which I find much simpler to tie than the Double Diamond and a bit less bulky too. When I snagged my knife off the Exchange I ordered some new cord and a couple nat Micarta beads--one small, one large--along with the backspacer, a CRK slip, and some new cord. This one is Vibration, a red/yellow combo that looks kinda orange at arm's length, with the large bead and two Wide Diamonds, just for practice. The key for this one to look good, as with any large knot, seems to be the patience not to over-tighten when getting the slack out.

lmxvScW.jpg

My Jekyll to Hyde backspacer/lanyard attachment showed up at my PO this morning and I grabbed it after lunch while running errands. It's a simple enough install, though one has to open the pivot and remove one side of the handle slabs to get it. I took the opportunity to clean the grease out and change lubes as I put NanoOil in my CRKs and all but my Nylon/Teflon washered knives.

Anyway, I decided against the bead and wide diamond knots I posted above as they were more than a bit too much for a large Sebenza and tied up some of that 550 Vibration with 6 Snake Knots and the small natural Micarta bead I bought along with that larger one. The bead was polished so I sanded it lightly with 180 so it better matches the finish on the 31's inlays.

wmh1dJO.jpg

IsH5F6n.jpg

Back