The Official Lanyard Thread

I've been practicing a new knot lately while I wait for my Jekyll to Hyde backspacer to arrive for my new-to-me large Sebenza 31 Natural Micarta. This one's from Tim at WoE and is his Wide Diamond which I find much simpler to tie than the Double Diamond and a bit less bulky too. When I snagged my knife off the Exchange I ordered some new cord and a couple nat Micarta beads--one small, one large--along with the backspacer, a CRK slip, and some new cord. This one is Vibration, a red/yellow combo that looks kinda orange at arm's length, with the large bead and two Wide Diamonds, just for practice. The key for this one to look good, as with any large knot, seems to be the patience not to over-tighten when getting the slack out.

lmxvScW.jpg

Gotta learn this. Any good YT tutorials you know on the wide diamond knot?

Old Knife/New Bead & Lanyard

This was my first Griptilian and a gateway knife of sorts that I carried as a frequent work user after I got it ten years back. Funny, that, as it's never had a lanyard in all that time until I dug through my cord and bead stashes last night to find something for it. The bead I got a few years back from maker GG of M... Workshop from whom I've bought a few over the years. I was trying various thermoplastics, liked his suppressor model, and bought this one in chocolate brown, but could never find a knife that it seemed right for.

Well, I mated it up with this dark green 550 between a couple diamond knots and am pretty pleased with the way it complements these well-worn and darkened OD Micarta scales.

ngtYZq6.jpg

p8ERcPy.jpg

Just so ya know, Kmikaz3 Kmikaz3 , I saw your SHF pic above when you posted it around 10 days back and, as knife knuts are prone to do, I started looking around at various dealer sites again "just to see what's out there" as it's a knife that's always interested me and I've window-shopped it from time-to-time. I wasn't gonna buy, honest--just looking :rolleyes:--but then I found this one in S45VN at the big auction site and the next thing you know it was in my cart and I was logging in to PP.

Anyway, it got here yesterday and I spent last night futzing around, picking out cord, and trying different knots to settle on a tail for my new beauty. I had bought this bead not long ago to add to my blue Biryukov, but decided it would go nicely on the new Spartan with this nice, soft, dark green 550 I have. I finally used the Wide Diamond I've been practicing to sandwich the bead and help protect the finish on this one. This knot takes a lot of patience to cinch up and get the slack out as it's real easy to overtighten a lobe or two and ruin the balance. It takes a while to get the initial length of cord right coming off the knife and is even harder to get the second knot up against the bead. I tied that one twice.

AXFaI9L.jpg

F2E6mCh.jpg

cL9U1W0.jpg

Just so ya know, Kmikaz3 Kmikaz3 , I saw your SHF pic above when you posted it around 10 days back and, as knife knuts are prone to do, I started looking around at various dealer sites again "just to see what's out there" as it's a knife that's always interested me and I've window-shopped it from time-to-time. I wasn't gonna buy, honest--just looking :rolleyes:--but then I found this one in S45VN at the big auction site and the next thing you know it was in my cart and I was logging in to PP.

Anyway, it got here yesterday and I spent last night futzing around, picking out cord, and trying different knots to settle on a tail for my new beauty. I had bought this bead not long ago to add to my blue Biryukov, but decided it would go nicely on the new Spartan with this nice, soft, dark green 550 I have. I finally used the Wide Diamond I've been practicing to sandwich the bead and help protect the finish on this one. This knot takes a lot of patience to cinch up and get the slack out as it's real easy to overtighten a lobe or two and ruin the balance. It takes a while to get the initial length of cord right coming off the knife and is even harder to get the second knot up against the bead. I tied that one twice.

AXFaI9L.jpg

F2E6mCh.jpg

cL9U1W0.jpg

Glad you liked yours. I too digged mine quite a bit tho is a s35vn. I managed to fixed all mentioned issues and now that is started to break in, boy what a smooth knife. Nice knot too! Also glad i could be a source of influence :p

Are we talking about the big Fleabay site? Takes alot of balls to buy something off that site lol
We are indeed. I bought a few considerably less pricey knives some time back, but have eschewed doing so for some time and have never bought a high-value nor oft-counterfeited piece there. The dealer I bought from has impeccable feedback and is an official dealer for more than a few familiar, highly reputable and, in some cases, quite expensive knife makers. Unlike some offerings one sees on that site, the knife was the same price there as it is on those BF-authorized and other dealer sites that we here frequent. The difference was that this seller had the knife while the others didn't.

We are indeed. I bought a few considerably less pricey knives some time back, but have eschewed doing so for some time and have never bought a high-value nor oft-counterfeited piece there. The dealer I bought from has impeccable feedback and is an official dealer for more than a few familiar, highly reputable and, in some cases, quite expensive knife makers. Unlike some offerings one sees on that site, the knife was the same price there as it is on those BF-authorized and other dealer sites that we here frequent. The difference was that this seller had the knife while the others didn't.
But if another option presented to you, you wouldn’t buy from there aren’t ya :D?

But if another option presented to you, you wouldn’t buy from there aren’t ya :D?
Probably not from the Big Auction Site in general, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy from that particular dealer again if the price was right. On the other hand, I have a few BF-supporting dealers that I use when buying new that offer rewards points that come in handy for discounts on knives and usually are enough to buy things like beads, CRK slips, or to save up for scales.

New cord showed up today. Was thinking of using this on all my knives when I ordered it. Think I need to keep looking. I wanted something that went with brown,green,blue and yellow.
Anyone have one they recommend?

Last edited:
Just so ya know, Kmikaz3 Kmikaz3 , ...I finally used the Wide Diamond I've been practicing to sandwich the bead and help protect the finish on this one. This knot takes a lot of patience to cinch up and get the slack out as it's real easy to overtighten a lobe or two and ruin the balance. It takes a while to get the initial length of cord right coming off the knife and is even harder to get the second knot up against the bead. I tied that one twice.

AXFaI9L.jpg

F2E6mCh.jpg

cL9U1W0.jpg

Do you have a recommended vid that shows how to make this Wide Diamond knot? and nice work by the way :)
G2

Back