The old guys with a pen knife.

Okay, I'm officially an old fart. I know that. I remember Ike as President, cars with tail fins, duck tail haircuts and James Dean when he was still alive. I remember seeing "East Of Eden" in a movie theater. Jeez that guy was a good actor before the clown in the DeSoto pulled in front of him.

But being an old fart has it's good side. Being retired has been great, with no alarm clock going off while it's still dark out. No rushed commute to a job that had gone stale and all my days are mine. It got even better when Karen retired and we had lots of time for ourselves to be ourselves. Long road trips around the country and to see family in California. Rafting trips to the Rogue River in Oregon and trout fishing in the Sierra Nevada's. Fishing and partying in Key West without having to worry about being back for work. After our move to Texas, lots of sight seeing in our new environment, the small/medium size town of Georgetown Texas.

Retired life in Georgetown, and maybe life in general in Georgetown, is like stepping back in time. Especially coming from the hectic pace of life in the Washington D.C. area. It has a real town square and the flavor of life general seems more southern than western. The old courthouse has tours, theres a real old fashioned barber shop on the square, various little business's in historic old stone and brick buildings that date back to the 1870's and 80''s. Among them is a great little coffee shop that we discovered when we moved here. And I love my coffee.

In the mornings, the shop seems to be handout of the 'older' population of retired people. There's a Del Web Sun City community on the west edge of town, so Georgetown has lots of us senior citizens. There seems to be a protocol of sorts for the coffee shop. The menfolk sit with a coffee and doughnut or cinnamon bun while the women folk browse the so called "Antique Shops" around the square. Therein was the enlightenment.

This shop has some the best cinnamon buns I've ever had. But...they're wrapped up better than King Tut's mummy! I have a sneaking suspicion that the shop owner has stock in Saran Wrap, so uses about 20 times more than he has to. Or, he's fanatical about maintaining the freshness of his on premises baked cinnamon buns. On top of that, the package is taped shut. This of course makes them almost inaccessible to senior citizen fingers. With a cup of nice coffee steaming away on the table, one has to resort to cold steel to liberate the cinnamon bun.

While I have noticed a fair number of pocket clips on some folks, and fancy tooled belt holsters for trapper style knives on others, the early morning coffee crowd of cinnamon bun seeking old timers seem to run true to form, with small 'pen knife' type cutters being the norm. The old stereo type of the old gray/white bearded guy with the little pen knife is still holding true in some parts of the country. Over the past two and a half years, I've come to know some of the same people attacking the Saran Wrap bundles with sharp blades. Some well used looking Buck 309's and 305's. A Boker pen or two. A few of the little Victorinox classic's in the hands of newcomers from California that seem to be migrating to the area. And there seems to be a protocol or unwritten rule that the little knives are carried in the coin pocket of the jeans or Wrangler shorts.

All seem sharp enough, and the object is to neatly slit the dastardly plastic wrap without crushing or breaking up the imprisoned cinnamon bun. Over time, a friendly impromptu competition has developed with each of us watching closely how well our knives cut through the wrap. Will one cut do, or does one need a second cut? Did the Saran Wrap part cleanly, or was there any tearing. Tearing is bad and will result in plentiful but good natured ribbing.

Morris seems to have a good method down pat. He takes the blade of his old Buck 309, and gently pierces and slides the blade in-between the wrap and the top of the bun. Then he turns the blade up and neatly slits the wrap across the top so he can then peel the wrap off to the sides, leaving a perfect unbroken bun to consume with the fresh brewed coffee. Morris keeps his little Buck very sharp. Morris is a native Texan and prides himself on keeping a knife very sharp.

Steve from California cheats and uses the little scissors on his Victorinox classic. He neatly snips his way around the bun midway around the middle and neatly lifts off the top half of the Saran Wrap to the good natured jeers of the old timer crowd. Morris will stage whisper, "He's from California!"

My little Boker 240 penknife does a good job on the Saran Wrap, but of late I've been using my Sardinian Resolza a good deal. The simple elegance of the knife with the flat ground blade glides through the sticky Saran Wrap like butter. Had to explain the whole friction folder to some of them. The first time I used it, Bob who is from just outside of town and has been a real rancher in his life, coon fingered and chicken eyed it and exclaimed, "Heck, it don't have a back spring!" as if it was guilty of some sort of crime. Bob is a Buck man to the last, and his well worn old Buck wrangler has been retired and now replaced by a Buck 303 cadet that is Bob's retired life knife. Texas rancher to the end, Bob ain't gone abandon the stockman pattern. But he still carries it in his coin pocket.

It's reassuring to know that even in Texas, where hand tooled belt sheaths and pocket clips are normal, the old guys with the little 'pen knife' in the coin pocket still go about their life, cutting what needs to be cut.

I'd like to retire to a town like that, if they still exist in a few years...

I think of the apocryphal Mark Twain quote,

When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years.

I am the old men with his pen knife now.

Oh, there are plenty of towns like that. My town has a population of about 1600 - heck the whole county (roughly 75 miles wide by 50 miles high) only has about 9200 people in it. This is mostly ranch and farm country here in CA. One rancher here doesn't even know for sure how much acreage he has - he thinks about 40,000 acres and there are other ranches and farms much bigger than that. Slip joints are common here - stockman, trapper, sodbuster, etc. with some small fixed blades in some buckaroo's hands during branding time. You see more and more modern knives clipped to a pocket but that's mostly in town or close to town.

Riding around my area, you'd think you were back in time as what you see on most ranches are cowboys - yes cowboys - and some cowgirls wrangling cattle and such things. They still drive cattle down the roads here getting their cattle from one pasture to the next or up to the national forest for summer grazing. Some of the larger ranches even have bunk houses for the cowboys.

Here are some cattle being driven down the road in front of our house by cowboys taking the cattle up to the "Devil's Garden" on the Modoc National Forest. Note the Cowboy on his horse at the top of the hill and a couple more lower down in the picture next to a power pole.

ZkY2Q4J.jpg

It's common here to be at a lunch room or cafe and to see a couple/three guys/gals come in for a quick bite wearing their chaps and wide brimmed hats.

It's rural here and slow paced. Just right for an old guy like me.

Maybe it's just me, but I think it's pretty awesome you guys consider the little scissors that Steve from California uses as cheating, haha. It's smart, but it's cheating. Haha. Great read!

Everybody has need of a Penknife: svelte, discrete, elegant but it gets the job done! I often imagine that the fictional Sherlock Holmes carried an elegant and EFFECTIVE Pen:cool:

I'm an ageing git now:D but unfortunately not yet retired;) single-spring knives have always been my favourites but not my exclusives, I think the Sardinian Resolza is indeed the same type of knife as a great Penknife, attractive and reliable, that leaf blade is a strategic stabber:D

All the best to you Carl, especially at the moment, Will

Well Carl I too am a retired old fart, and in a very small town... but it's a mudbug and yankee jack for me. I do and have so enjoyed your stories sir. For some reason your writing often makes me think of "Travels with Charley", but hey, that's not bad company to be in. :) Thank you and I too wish you both all the best, especially now...

They say you get wiser with age I believe this is true a small knife is handy my step dad used a small two bladed old timer for everything

That was an enjoyable read, Carl. Thanks for sharing!

We spent a little time in Georgetown last summer (we were there for my cousin's wedding, which was at a venue just a little outside Georgetown). I've been fortunate enough to visit a lot of small towns in Texas (I grew up in Arkansas, and we had a lot of family and family friends throughout Texas); I've always enjoyed the town squares and courthouses in small-town Texas, and Georgetown did not disappoint!

LUr4tU4.jpg

I usually don't read long posts but when I saw "old fart" and "pen knife" I was hooked.
Searching out and reading all of Carl’s numerous stories here in the Traditional forum would be a very wise and enjoyable use of time. I often go back and re read his stories several times a year.
It’s like sitting on the front porch of a cabin listening to stories from an uncle.

John

Searching out and reading all of Carl’s numerous stories here in the Traditional forum would be a very wise and enjoyable use of time. I often go back and re read his stories several times a year.
It’s like sitting on the front porch of a cabin listening to stories from an uncle.

John

+1. Here's a link to a consolidated list of jackknife's stories with a link to each one. The entire list is contained in Post #1 and Post #2.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/links-to-jackknifes-tales-with-thanks-to-stockman242.598362/

Unfortunately, clicking on the links in Post #1 (after the first six links) only results in an "error" message. They used to all work but when the site changed formats not too long ago the links became non-functional. Maybe someone with 'puter skills can figure out how to fix them. :D

Last edited:
Cute story Jackknife. I've been to Georgetown TX before it was even thought to be a suburb of Austin and not because I-35 runs through it. I suspect I have been in just about every town east of I-35 in TX at one time or another. Lots of retired Californians moving to Texas because they really can't afford to live in CA.

As far as using a pen knife goes, I think it's just smart. But there does tend to be a generational gap.

That was an enjoyable read, Carl. Thanks for sharing!

We spent a little time in Georgetown last summer (we were there for my cousin's wedding, which was at a venue just a little outside Georgetown). I've been fortunate enough to visit a lot of small towns in Texas (I grew up in Arkansas, and we had a lot of family and family friends throughout Texas); I've always enjoyed the town squares and courthouses in small-town Texas, and Georgetown did not disappoint!

LUr4tU4.jpg

Yup, that's my new hometown's square! Next time you're in the area, drop me a line and we'll do coffee at the shop on the square.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back