the one knife concept

24ecf14.jpg

WOW!!! I *love* that ^ knife!!!! The handle looks just about perfect and the blade looks very strong. I think i've seen one like it before....

Did you make it? Need more INFORMATION !!!!!! please :D

Nope, I did not make the knife. It's the legendary SAR-4 by Bill Siegle, which I am very proud to own. Also, I agree with above, the Fallkniven is also a hell of a knife, and probably my top-choice among factory-made knives.

zxvgp0.jpg

23ie6n5.jpg

53vhg2.jpg

qq982e.jpg

fb9mi8.jpg

I am debating picking up a CS trail hawk to replace the Rat-7 as I mostly use it for chopping and splitting anyway. I think the CS trail Hawk might be more useful and maybe even lighter.

The trail hawk is not a chopper. I got one and was immensely dissapointed. You mention its lightness; this is the exact factor that makes it worthless as a chopping tool. I figured with its massive handle it'd at least do as well as my 10" Wetterlings hatchet, nope. The 10" fit in your pocket hatchet (Which is an insanely powerful little thing, way outchops its size) was like a chainsaw, while the trail hawk was like... a stick, it chopped like a stick. I will say this is after reprofiling the CS to take a proper edge. If you're dead set on a hawk I recommend Stephen D. Liley (Coal Creek Forge.)
CCFHawk-1.jpg

To the general point. 1 Knife, yeah, I could do that, and would have to go with my 4" ML Kephart in 3/32. It'll do anything a knife could need to do. Knife for my only tool... nope. Gonna have an axe/hawk/hatchet, knives can be resized/shaped for chopping, axes and their ilk were designed for it. Machete if I was in a local that made it viable.

God bless,
Adam

I do very little craft work beyond fire building and making the odd tent peg and what not.

Bingo. I do exactly zilch "craftwork".

On the topic of a "grail knife": Bryan has made mine already (someone else is also in the process of using the design, I won't say who -- he can if he wants) and just as soon as the funds allow, I'm going to get him to make me one.

If I had to choose JUST one KNIFE--it would be the one with the Orange Handle or The One with the Brass Guard.

Light enough to carry on you at all times and stout enough to take whatever you threw at it.

Orange is a Great color in the woods if you drop your knife--the last photo shows the orange knife next to the 8" Bladed one.

At 100 feet away--you could no longer see the other knife

Picture008.jpg

Picture039.jpg

Picture033.jpg

Both great choices William (at least in terms of design) - i believe Siegle knives are proven quality!

Nope, I did not make the knife. It's the legendary SAR-4 by Bill Siegle, which I am very proud to own....

53vhg2.jpg

Thanks for the info!!! It's a great design - though i'm not sure of the spec's, everythings appears well-balanced (an important criteria for me).

Last edited:
I had the siegle sar 4 and the finger groove on it was just a bit to aggressive for me. if it was more rounded where it came out I would have loved it. he makes some killer blades for sure.

Thanks for the info!!! It's a great design - though i'm not sure of the spec's, everythings appears well-balanced (an important criteria for me).

The SAR-4 has been proven in real SAR operations and was designed by Bill Siegle in conjunction with SAR teams in the Northwest U.S. You can read a review here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/636837-Siegle-SAR-4/page3

The finger groove isn't for everyone, as the above poster noted. Personally, I find it very positive and comfortable.

I'm a deep-finger groove advocate as well. If a blade doesn't have a physical guard in place, then IMHO, a finger groove *must* be deep enough to work like one. Also, they allow the index finger excellent proximity to the edge and promote dexterity for bush-crafty tasks.

Bingo. I do exactly zilch "craftwork".

On the topic of a "grail knife": Bryan has made mine already (someone else is also in the process of using the design, I won't say who -- he can if he wants) and just as soon as the funds allow, I'm going to get him to make me one.

KEmSAT is referring to me

I will post a review of it when I get it

Thanks for allowing me to use the design Bro

I'm a deep-finger groove advocate as well. If a blade doesn't have a physical guard in place, then IMHO, a finger groove *must* be deep enough to work like one. Also, they allow the index finger excellent proximity to the edge and promote dexterity for bush-crafty tasks.

I don't mind the finger groove. they are perfectly fine. on the sar-4 the bottom of the finger groove as it goes into the rest of the handle was to straight/sharp pointy for me. when it's to aggressive it can only be held one way, no other grips. it just didn't do it for me. if it was rounded more then it would have been perfect. I loved the knife just not that part of it. I have the blind horse bushcrafter and it has a pretty deep finger groove but is rounded out well.

Good word there!!! I'm drawing/have drawn something up, but i'm on a long waiting list and have time to adjust/re-adjust things.

I don't mind the finger groove. they are perfectly fine. on the sar-4 the bottom of the finger groove as it goes into the rest of the handle was to straight/sharp pointy for me. when it's to aggressive it can only be held one way, no other grips. it just didn't do it for me. if it was rounded more then it would have been perfect. I loved the knife just not that part of it. I have the blind horse bushcrafter and it has a pretty deep finger groove but is rounded out well.

I thought the same looking at the pic. I often wonder how some of the more agressive handles I see on knives can be used in various grips ?

Easy you take a dremel tool and round off the part you think is to pointy or what ever lol.
You can use most type of grinders if you needed too to help smooth out a part of a knife too.

Bryan

Easy you take a dremel tool and round off the part you think is to pointy or what ever lol.
You can use most type of grinders if you needed too to help smooth out a part of a knife too.

Bryan

I almost did that bryan. I just didn't want to mod such a expensive knife and mess it up lol.

Back