the one knife concept

Same here if it's from what I actualy own at the moment. Nice compromise for a grab and run with the razer sharp hollow grind and 1\4 inch thick spine. Pouch has fire goodies. Ya, I'd grab this one as a quick n' dirty all rounder........ Otherwise it's a necker and big blade combo.
I don't fish but I like your avatar. :D

While I do try to limit weight in the knives I make and use, I don't think weight is as big of a factor in a "one tool" scenario, as you are only carrying that one tool. Weight comes more into play in terms of a gear load-out where you are carrying multiple tools and items over long distances such as backpacking, adventure hiking. Think...walking through the woods and all you have is a axe or large blade, ferro rod, and a canteen, the axe/large blade isn't going to seem so heavy. Now think... you are carrying a 40+ lb back pack on a 5+mile hike, w/ tent, sleeping bag, clothing, food, water, water container/s, water purification kit, cookware, saw, fire kit, med kit, multi-tool, medium fixed blade, rain gear, extra footwear, etc...that extra 1-3lb fixed blade/hatchet, or 3-6lb axe is going to seem a little heavier.
True, and the other gear you have supplements your cutting tools as well and makes them less necessary. For most of my camping and hiking I regard a cutting tool as emergency gear. It hardly gets used so it's main function is as a backup to my tent, sleeping bag, etc.

Hmm...I wonder if people would choose different things if we divided the question into two categories. One would be your cutting tool with equipment and the other would be a cutting tool with no equipment.

KEmSAT Survival, since I made the first version of your Knife design back about 2 months back. I have made 6 so far have orders for 7 more, I just went through my orders.
Dr. Bill will be getting 0-1 steel. the next on I make is going to be 5160.

Bryan

To be honest, I think we all have a habit of putting to much thought into what knife we should bring for this or that, when in reality we should focus on making the knife we did bring do the tasks we need done. It's not hard to fell small saplings (apx 2in) with a simple mora by stressing the fibers at the base perpendicular to the cut. That is the size tree that I find most convenient to use as shelter poles. Big knives on the other hand are usually not well suited to delicate tasks like tuning trap triggers. I mod most of my large knives to have a two inch section of blade near the handle that is either scandi ground or a very acute convex grind. I have a 2x72 grinder to use so that makes it easier for me to do this but I find it to work quite well and lets me do lots of "small knife" tasks with my choppers. The other way to deal with this (using trap triggers as an example) is to learn modified traps that require less carving to tune, like setting a paiute4 instead of a fig4.
I guess if I had the opportunity to select in advance what knife I would want with me it would be my BOXL from Dylan. It is 5in long and 3/16 thick O1 steel. It throws a good spark with a sharp rock (not talking modern ferro rod, I mean a rock) and can light milkweed fluff and cat tail. It is a little thicker than I normally carry but the handle is so comfortable that it make using that knife a real joy and it never gives me hot spots.

007-1.jpg

016.jpg

037.jpg

044.jpg

051.jpg

That's a little frog bow knocked out in about 15 minutes with the BOXL. I agree with the earlier posts about using your "one tool" to fabricate more tools. Fortunately, where I live is full of chert cobbles for making tools. Don't have an axe or knife........ Make one.

spearandcelt019.jpg

Those are cool. The knife even has good blade geometry to it. Reminds me of my Spyderco.

Thanks, took me about half a dozen broken blades to get that one right. I still have a hard time knapping the thinner bifaced items and usually break a few before success. To this thread though, every part of those stone tools is made from bush-ready materials. They are hafted with pine pitch glue and reinforced with sinew. The knife also has some dog bane cordage for extra support. In a real wilderness living scenario, you wouldn't make tools so "pretty", just sharp and functional until it's time to toss em and make a new one.

KEmSAT Survival, since I made the first version of your Knife design back about 2 months back. I have made 6 so far have orders for 7 more, I just went through my orders.
Dr. Bill will be getting 0-1 steel. the next on I make is going to be 5160.

Bryan

Sweet. Glad so many folks like it, Bryan.
And here I figured it'd be a one-off and people'd dismiss it as some kind of ESEE/Busse rip off or something.

Hope you make a million off of it, sir!

And I hope the owners beat the piss out of it. BTW, what did you end up calling it?

KEmSAT Survival,
Well I did round off the angles and the shallow dip on the spine I widened it some more from the orignal specs that you had.
As to the name Preacher Man came up with the name Lord Greystoke for the knife. If you take a look at the thread Dedicated chopper that he started you can read about it there. other than those to items I really tried to keep the knife shape to what you had for your pic. You thought up a great design. I just love it. thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Bryan

Back