The Puukko

Gracias again RayseM RayseM !

5eR6Yij.jpeg
Dan, that is one of the best photos I've seen on the Forum and RayseM RayseM , such a wonderful knife! You guys are both so creative, thanks for sharing with us.

Finished these today.
I like puukko's, the elegance in it's function over form and the beautiful lines that gives.
I also enjoy making scandi sheats. Three pieces of leather, one thread, nothing more, nothing less and exact fitting if you do it well.
I've set up shop in a very old barn that was used as a stables in the past. Over here buildings like that are made out of oak.
Years and years of ammonia from these animals coloured this oak very dark on the outside. I realy like the two tone looks it gives.
The other puukko is oiled natural walnut.

20240113-150720.jpg

20240113-133059.jpg

20240113-132956.jpg

20240113-133236.jpg
Both knives look awesome, but that Raeven is just gorgeous!

Two of my puukkot projects completed this week. Sheaths are now in progress. First is a 80mm with black ash burl and ebony handle with nickel silver bolster and endcap. The second is a Kokemaen with a 93mm blade and padauk handle.
Hello hawkhead , Love the black ash burl , but how did you get that stippling effect on the front of the bolster ? Its something I would like to attempt on a puuko Im about to start at present but I will be using brass bolster .....Thanks

My PUUKKO Handle projects from December now with sheaths I just finished up.

Both of these blades blanks were forged by Finnish Master Blacksmith Antti Kuikka out of 56Si7 spring steel from Brisa ~

The one on the left has a handle made up of stabilized CHAGA with slices of birch bark between and bronze cap and bolster.

The one on the right is handled with GREENHEART - a very dense, hard and durable wood that is pretty in its plainness, with a few copper spacers.

View attachment 2455924

AND HERE with their new sheaths ~

This CHAGA puukko with leather cord wrap detail - positive and negative. No lesta for this one.

View attachment 2455931

View attachment 2455939

The GREENHEART puukko with a front welt, crossed laced with leather cord. Because of the symmetry of the handle I decided to make this one a left or right hand carry. The leather holds it very securely and the bass wood lesta was carved to allow the blade to slip in in either direction.

View attachment 2455935

View attachment 2455937
Hello , nice knives , do you put some kind of liner inside these leather sheaths ?...Thanks

Hello , nice knives , do you put some kind of liner inside these leather sheaths ?...Thanks

Thank you for saying.

Yes & No. The Chaga sheath is all leather but the one for the Greenheart has a basswood liner (lesta). This knife can be carried right or left hand because of the shape of the lesta and the symmetry of the handle being held in the leather portion above the blade.

Thank you for saying.

Yes & No. The Chaga sheath is all leather but the one for the Greenheart has a basswood liner (lesta). This knife can be carried right or left hand because of the shape of the lesta and the symmetry of the handle being held in the leather portion above the blade.
Thanks for your reply . I just thought a sharp puuko blade might puncture the side of the sheath ?

Thanks for your reply . I just thought a sharp puuko blade might puncture the side of the sheath ?

Well not anymore than any other blade. The thickness of the leather and the addition of a welt certainly is good insurance. Having said that I did not include a welt or a lesta for the CHAGA knife sheath but in many respects this sheath is an experimental design and not one I will sell. Still I do have a few back seam puukko sheaths made by pros that don't feature a lesta.

Well not anymore than any other blade. The thickness of the leather and the addition of a welt certainly is good insurance. Having said that I did not include a welt or a lesta for the CHAGA knife sheath but in many respects this sheath is an experimental design and not one I will sell. Still I do have a few back seam puukko sheaths made by pros that don't feature a lesta.
Thanks Ray , waiting for my Kuikka 125mm stick tang puukko blade which Im going to handle up and havnt decided which sheath shape to use yet

Hello hawkhead , Love the black ash burl , but how did you get that stippling effect on the front of the bolster ? Its something I would like to attempt on a puuko Im about to start at present but I will be using brass bolster .....Thanks
Hello bigeard09. After inletting the blade to the bolster for a tight fit, I lightly tap the face of the bolster with a small ball peen hammer. Before using the the hammer I polished the ball.

Back