1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "Rebel"

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by LostViking, Apr 5, 2018.

1. LostViking

LostViking Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2009
    I'm pretty sure the Kephart will be my next Fiddleback. Like 90% sure.

But, what is it about the Rebel that attracts me? That knife just speaks to me. I am always a fan of the underdog. Perhaps that's part of it. But I think it goes deeper.

There is so much going on with that knife. The handle probably deserves its own thread!

When I look at it. I see part Wharncliff, part cleaver, a rope knife and a kitchen slicer.

If Bonanza was made today. I could see Hop Sing waving that around in the kitchen. And chasing the Cartwright boys around the house with it.

Is the sum greater than all the parts?
    What does it excel at?
    Where are its weaknesses?
    Does it frighten the Surface Dwellers?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Fiddleback, mistwalker and Aias like this.
  2. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    despite it's non-traditional Fiddleback handle shape it excels in the comfort in your hand Dept. & the blade is utilitarian as "heck"

Fiddleback, LostViking and mistwalker like this.
  3. Dritios

Dritios Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 4, 2017
    I’d like to see more Rebels. They are definitely rare knives.

Fiddleback and LostViking like this.
  4. LostViking

Jan 1, 2009
    Where's the action shots?

Fending off bears?
    Constructing a Lean-To?
    Building a "Yard Crossbow?
    Cutting up a Philly Steak & Cheese?

This thread needs some meat!

Fiddleback likes this.
  5. mistwalker

mistwalker Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    LOL, I wish Andy would add on the part that looks like was broken off of the Rebel, and make it what it reminds me of, a big Wingman which I love the Wingman. Other than that I'd also love one to play the role of a broken knife in my Tolkien works.

6. LostViking

Jan 1, 2009
    I can see it in the hands of a Hobbit or Rockatansky perhaps.

It has a touch of Mythical Warrior to it.

mistwalker likes this.
  7. pertinux

pertinux Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Commence countdown.

o_O

~ P.

Fiddleback and Lady1911 like this.
  8. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator

Oct 19, 2005
    I love that little knife. I am so proud of the handles I designed that week. They are very distinctive in that they look like they'd be awkward to hold, but in fact, they melt into the palm.

9. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    Aias, Odaon, Dritios and 1 other person like this.
  10. LostViking

Jan 1, 2009
    Tell me about the bottom one.

And keep in mind. If I buy another knife. I may be looking for a new home as well.

Has this been approved by the Council of Elrond?
    Also, does it come with an AMX?

Aias likes this.
  11. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    the bottom one is
    black bolstered oreo burlap, 1/8" TT A2 - $370

the other stuff is beyond me

12. mistwalker

Dec 22, 2007
    Hmmmm that cord wrapped one looks good too. I'll have to put some thought into where I could use some wrapped models in my project. Usually I'm trying to sort the art of the pics whilst making the bullseye pop, so never really thought about the wrapped models being involved.

13. LostViking

Jan 1, 2009
    As much as it pains me. I just can't swing that right now.
    Beautiful knife!

But I do see one in my future.

mistwalker likes this.
  14. mistwalker

Dec 22, 2007
    Yeah, I understand that. That one has a few up-charges on it, and sadly there aren't a lot of people aware of just how comfortable that handle is. If one pops up that isn't bolstered, has regular micarta rather than Shadetree burlap, and doesn't have a tapered tang, it would be about $100 less. But I'm not faring any better at the moment. Hell I can't even afford the wrapped version right now...

15. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    like Mistwalker said
    this one has "all the bells & whistles"
    +40 bolsters
    +40 shadetree
    +40 TT

the base price is $250. that includes either natural canvas or black canvas micarta

16. pertinux

Feb 1, 2012
    Commando, or with liners?

~ P.

mistwalker likes this.
  17. mistwalker

Dec 22, 2007
    As far as I know base price does include liners, just plain jane natural, black, or OD canvas micarta, and commando with those costs even less.

18. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    Base price includes black canvas/natural canvas with or without liners. Commando is base price, not less

19. pertinux

Feb 1, 2012
    Cool beans.

I can't say I've ever seen a 'regular' canvas micarta Rebel-- I've seen so few Rebels, at all!-- but I do like the idea (on that pattern, and So Many More).

Given the correct liner(s), of course. o_O

Thanks!

~ P.

Tekton likes this.
  20. LostViking

Jan 1, 2009
    Jeez,
    I keep coming back and staring at this knife. Such a beautiful piece.

Is there any chance someone could post a photo of a Rebel and a knife I know for a size and scale comparison?

Doesn't have to be this one. But a Rebel and say a Recluse or a Kephart would be awesome. And it doesn't have to be museum quality. Just a quick snapshot or two.

I get the feeling this knife is a tad smaller than my mind's eye is picturing it.

Andy's knives always surprise me with size. The Recluse was smaller that I pictured it. The Woodsman was larger. Not a bad thing at all. It just keeps me guessing.

Or even next to a ruler or soda can. Just something to give me some idea of scale.

mistwalker and Aias like this.