The Sages

I've owned Sebenzas. I prefer the Sage 2, by a large margin.

Can you clarify/explain why you prefer the Sage 2 over the Senenza? I don't have a Sage 2 or a Sebenza but have considered getting both at some point. I've never handled the Sage 2 though. I have handled a Sebenza (for about 5 minutes) and truthfully, I was completely underwhelmed. I mean it was a total let down. I had read all the oooos and aahhh over it but when I played with it, I was more, "eh, whatever." I was not struck by lightning and I didn't hear trumpets. It was just a all metal knife to me, slick as oil. Honestly, I still have trouble liking Ti at all, but being used to the Sage design, build and ergos, I can get used to a Sage 2 I think.
"Bank vault" lockup they said, pfffft, ok if you say so. That slow wide arch opening was a killer too....boring. Heck my Sage 1 and PM2 was/is way more impressive on first handling. Anyway, what are your reasons.

I've owned Sebenzas. I prefer the Sage 2, by a large margin.
Can you clarify/explain why you prefer the Sage 2 over the Senenza? I don't have a Sage 2 or a Sebenza but have considered getting both at some point. I've never handled the Sage 2 though. I have handled a Sebenza (for about 5 minutes) and truthfully, I was completely underwhelmed. I mean it was a total let down. I had read all the oooos and aahhh over it but when I played with it, I was more, "eh, whatever." I was not struck by lightning and I didn't hear trumpets. It was just a all metal knife to me, slick as oil. Honestly, I still have trouble liking Ti at all, but being used to the Sage design, build and ergos, I can get used to a Sage 2 I think.
"Bank vault" lockup they said, pfffft, ok if you say so. That slow wide arch opening was a killer too....boring. Heck my Sage 1 and PM2 was/is way more impressive on first handling. Anyway, what are your reasons.

He already did:

Do you actually know the definition of "hyperbole"? I'm being literal here.
I didn't add, 'for the money', because money has nothing to do with it. I don't care what they cost. I prefer the Sage 2. I prefer it, because (to me) the blade geometry is better. The Sage 2 is a better slicer. I prefer the hole. The hole is better for many reasons. The main one being sharpening. The ergos are better on the Sage 2, period. The jimping is better. The choil is awesome. Build quality? The only thing you could possibly argue is the pivot. Is the Sebenza pivot actually better? Maybe..
The fact that the Sage 2 costs less is just icing on the cake.

Well, yeah, these concerns over the 3 you guys have pointed out are the ones that have kept me from pulling the trigger before now. So maybe I just won't go that way. Part of the appeal was having something that wasn't a frame lock or liner lock. I like the quick flick close of my PM2 and the Griptillians I've handled, so the 3 was appealing for that.

I like the Domino, but prefer the Sage size and feel in my hand. I like back locks, but not as much as I like finger-flicking my Spydies (which you can't do on a back lock without ripping out your fingernail).

So that leaves me with the Sage 2. Not sure why I don't love it. I suspect it's because it doesn't read as "gentlemanly" to me as the 1.

Or I can wait for the next Sage line.

Thanks, guys!
I can easily finger flick with both thumb and middle finger my Native 5 G10.
Oops I take that back. I can easily flick open my Native 5 G10 with my middle finger. Not so with the thumb. Not sure why that is.

Last edited:
The Sage 2 is destined to be a classic "must have". So smooth you'll find yourself looking for reasons to open it. I love the click-click it makes, VERY similar to the sound of the lockwork on my Smith revolvers. I have the 1 and 2 and the 2 replaced my beloved Endura (and Delica) as my EDC after 20+ years. And when I say EDC, I mean EVERY day. This morning I went and looked at some of the 60 Spydies I have hanging on the wall and I went back and pocketed the Sage 2.

I've even seen some do a scale swap with a 1 and a 2 and might consider that as a little of the best of both worlds. I wouldn't do a 3. I have a Manix and I just can't stand having to use 2 fingers to disengage the lock. Now if they do a compression lock, I'm all over it. I've been breaking in a Superleaf today and size wise it is about the same but with a Compression Lock. It MAY make in into rotation with my Sage 2. We'll see. Of course, you may have to look for one of those on the secondary market though last I saw Bento Box still had a few (not cheap).

EL

The Sage 2 is destined to be a classic "must have". So smooth you'll find yourself looking for reasons to open it. I love the click-click it makes, VERY similar to the sound of the lockwork on my Smith revolvers. I have the 1 and 2 and the 2 replaced my beloved Endura (and Delica) as my EDC after 20+ years. And when I say EDC, I mean EVERY day. This morning I went and looked at some of the 60 Spydies I have hanging on the wall and I went back and pocketed the Sage 2.

I've even seen some do a scale swap with a 1 and a 2 and might consider that as a little of the best of both worlds. I wouldn't do a 3. I have a Manix and I just can't stand having to use 2 fingers to disengage the lock. Now if they do a compression lock, I'm all over it. I've been breaking in a Superleaf today and size wise it is about the same but with a Compression Lock. It MAY make in into rotation with my Sage 2. We'll see. Of course, you may have to look for one of those on the secondary market though last I saw Bento Box still had a few (not cheap).

EL
FWIW, the Sage 3 uses a completely different lock from the Manix 2. Before Spyderco used it in the Sage 3 most, if not all, the knives that used the Blackie Collins Bolt Action lock had only one release button positioned to favor right handed use. Spyderco added the second button on the opposite side to make it ambidextrous, not because it required 2 fingers to open. I'm not keen on the looks of either the blue G-10 or the argyle CF scales but I'd take a bolt action lock over the ball bearing lock, caged or open, any day. I'm not suggesting you should rush out and buy a Sage 3, but if you ever have a chance to handle one you might be pleasantly surprised if you give it a try.

I have the Sage 3 in blue G10 and don't love it. I have several Axis lock knives and the Bolt action lock doesn't measure up. The Sage 3 isn't as smooth and fast to deploy by the lock and has a fat pocket profile vs. blade length. I'll keep the Sage 3, but it doesn't get carried. Maybe someday I'll try a Sage 1 or 2.

I'd love to take that sage 3 off of your hands if you would be willing to part with it!

I currently own 32 folding Spydies and have owned a few more than that and without question my Sage3 is my smoothest knife. I think the washers are made out of air. Unbelievable. All the Sages are nice and smooth but my Sage3 is stunning and from what I hear on the forums that is fairly normal.

Back