The Schrade Walden 153 Uncle Henry...Golden Spike & Schrade 153UH variations..

Ken, I think your complete 153 package was simply made after Schrade stopped serial numbers on the 153...the brown Uncle Henry box continued for a number of years both while they were issued with serial numbers and yours would indicate if correct box and bling, after serial numbers ceased....
I've had low issue Schrade 153's that were not Waldens' and all were serial numbered and with their original brown box's...several are shown on page one of this thread with their box's.
The earliest 153 Walden's I believe, were' factory' issued with the gold sticker on the brown box, plus 153UH is ink stamped on the outer white protective cover as shown on page 1 of this thread....however that is the only example with the sticker seen to date.
I hope MwBrown can obtain photos of his example and post, then we will better understand timelines IMO....Hoo Roo

Ken, that kind of sales receipt is what I'm hoping to see for a walden knife. If the date of purchase is early enough it would give an indication of how many were produced up till that time, considering the serial# on the knife. The sticker is most likely factory. They were likely purchase from an outside vendor in advance. If so they were probably ordered in a nice round number, 500 on a roll or something like that. Maybe enough to use on the first production run. Maybe not though. Hopefully this gentlemen with the 773 can get a bit farther down the road.

While a dated receipt would be helpful, it still would not tell us exactly when the item was manufactured. Only when the retailer found a customer for it and sold it. It certainly would have been made prior to the retail sale, but how long did it sit on the retailer's shelf after it was made, inspected, packaged, shipped possibly to a jobber, ordered by a retailer, shipped to them and received? So at best it is a "sometime prior to" date. Like the postmark on my Peterson Publishing "Guns & Ammo" Sharpfinger box.

To post pictures, go to a web photohosting site like tinypic.com. Upload the picture from your computer there. Then copy/paste the tag line here in your post. We would be very interested in seeing the whole kit and caboodle... knife, sheath, box and papers.[/QUOTE]

Here is what I've come up with! I'll be talking with my friend today , I might can obtain month and year of purchase for you guys [IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/20gz1mr.jpg

50sck1.jpg

Nice! I note the gold foil printed name "Bear Skinner" on the box top. Perhaps it had the sticker over this and it was removed. Or "Bear Skinner" was a Sears or Schrade Walden name for this pattern at first, soon changed to Golden Spike. Or... Schrade recycled boxes from another pattern at first for this knife. Or.... :D

33k9hcm.jpg

In 72/73 sears called the 171 pattern bear skinner. The 165 was the deerslayer. I'm trying to remember what they called the 153. I have it some where. This box may have gotten mixed up somewhere along the line.

The earlier American Eagle Collection knives came in the sliptop gift boxes as seen above IIRC.

Sticker shock. I thought for sure this new knife would have one. Now what's underneath brings more questions. That's schrade though

We need to find early advertising materials for the pattern. It may well be that it did go by the name "Bear Skinner" at some point. I remember that the 15OT and 165OT had no name or different names to begin with. And the Sharpfinger 152OT was trademarked "Sharp Finger", two words. In fact in the 1971 flyer, the 15OT is still called "Hunter", not "Deerslayer".
http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/FLYERS/SW-TO-1973/pages/SW-71-1.htm

172Walden2 (2).jpgWhy can't that simply be the wrong box for that 153UH?....I believe the 172UH Bear Skinner was produced 1971-73 and had that box as shown........does the box specifically state 153UH somewhere on it?....Apart from the Golden Spike sticker on mine the 153UH is ink stamped on the white protective cover as per page 1 of this thread.....
Mixed up by dealer originally or just mixed up...something else to consider before you assume it's sticker has simply been removed or the 153UH was originally called the Bear Skinner like its Walden predecessor...or Schrade Walden simply utilised their unused box's for the deleted 172UH Bear Skinners for some of their first 153UH's made when the 153UH replaced the 172UH per my first posting page 1.... with Schrade anything is possible of course......I'm going to have a close look at my 153UH box and sticker and see if anything could be stamped underneath....Hoo Roo

Post Script to my above post...I have looked at my brown box top and particularly the 'Golden Spike' gold sticker under magnification and I do not believe there is any gold writing under the sticker. The sticker is undoubtedly genuine factory both by quality and placement on box...they may have been affixed for a short while <but proved too labour intensive?> after Schrade had utilized the remaining previous 'Bear Skinner' Uncle Henry brown box's, from its predecessor the 172UH....
I note my Schrade Walden Replacement guarantee paper states they would replace at no charge if the claim was received within <1> one year after purchase.....I therefor doubt any low number 153 UH's would have been actual replacement knives...I also note 4 subtle differences between my leather sheath and the one above...different enough to conclude they were not made by the same leather worker...slightly different front bottom shape, different stitching technique, and slightly different cut/markings to sharpening stone holder flap...

Last edited:
I think the most reasonable guess would be they used old 172 boxes and ordered stickers which could have been printed on short notice. Having everything,stamps, boxes exc. come together for a new launch is tricky even today. Your sticker Larry is just big enough to cover the writing if there is any. I bet their is. I don't think this latest example ever had a sticker. From the way the owner preserved this knife for so long he don't seem like the type to start ripping stickers off. I believe more than ever this pattern was conceived as a sears knife first and a walden second. I bet the sears boxes were ready on time

Close up of tP1010002.jpgP1010001.jpghe 'Golden Spike' sticker on brown Uncle Henry box top...plus outer cover stamp and paperwork..Hoo Roo

Larry, from the pics the boxes look different in color. My 172 box looks the same as the one posted. How dose your 153 box compare with your 172 box?

Just the light on the box when taking the photo James. If you look at the very first photo page 1 you will see all three Uncle Henry UH153 brown box's are identical 'cept for the golden sticker..
It would appear all the 'Bear Skinner' box's were simply made for the 172UH Bear Skinner...not all were utilized for their intended purpose when the 172UH was replaced by the 153UH in that ' Schrade Name' transistion period....so Schrade used their existing supplies for the earliest 153UH's manufactured/sold... and in the interim until they had their new 'Golden Spike' box's finished/ready they must have put the gold sticker <on a few?> over the original Bear Skinner wording which cannot be seen because the gold foil sticker is quite thick <possibly on purpose>....mystery just about solved as we move forward IMO...Hoo Roo

Sounds about right to me. Maybe that's the "deluxe" party of the packaging. The newer print adds say 12lbs per dozen on the weight.

Back